Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

So many stores have closed in Wicker Park it's not even funny -- huge signs on North Ave buildings proclaim "FOUR MONTH'S FREE RENT!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
So many stores have closed in Wicker Park it's not even funny -- huge signs on North Ave buildings proclaim "FOUR MONTH'S FREE RENT!"
Same with Damen in Bucktown. Lots of vacant storefronts these days. Although a street like Chicago ave has not only managed to hold onto to all those busineses created in the past 5-10 years, but is still seeing growth. But that's probably because storefront rents never got near as crazy as wicker park/bucktown in the 2000's.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM

188 posts, read 605,605 times
The interest rate in my savings account is feeling the recession, that's for sure. It's dropped more than 1.5% in the past four months alone.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
The interest rate in my savings account is feeling the recession, that's for sure. It's dropped more than 1.5% in the past four months alone.
Tell me about it. I opened a new savings account about 6 months ago that was over 5% since my bank had basically ceased providing interest. But last I checked, I think my new bank's interest rate was back under 2% as well.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
It's hard for me to feel it because I moved back to the US right when this mess started and have been used to living modestly in a third-world country, so by comparison - it's a much more comfortable lifestyle here. I do know people who have lost their jobs and are struggling.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
I was unemployed from the end of June last year until April this year. I ended up going back to mortgage processing which I hadn't done in 3 years. I am paid strictly on the number of files that close and fund, not making the kind of money I used to when I had a base salary plus a production bonus. I am seriously in debt from all those months of unemployment. I was lucky enough to get health insurance May 1st (the boss's wife is a Dr., so he feels very strongly about people having health insurance). I was in the hospital for 3 days right after that for something that is pretty minor, but I am still going to end up paying 2-3,000 for my share of the bills. Interest rates have skyrocketed recently so we haven't gotten any new applications. I may be out of a job again by July.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
I work in Transportation and I definately see the effects. When the November market crash happened I definately saw it. Things have picked up a little lately, but it seems like every other month is good/bad.

I've tried finding a new job (my current job has a weak commission plan) but I'm losing out to other people. I feel my resume is very strong, I get a lot of calls, but they're either really shady companies or I lose out to someone else somewhere in the interview process.

I too have thought of joining the service, but I don't know if my body can handle basic training, I have bad tendons due to genetics. I've wanted to take a vacation but can't afford it obviously. My newly greatest idea of all time is that I'm applying to resorts and hotels that are in vacation spots. That way I can work there, and on my days off it'll be like I'm on vacation. :-)

Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
When I started college in 2003 there were all kinds of jobs for my field in physics. I had originally switched from engineering to physics b/c I loved the field and saw plenty of entry-level opportunities for people with a BS in physics. Come graduation time in 2007 the Bush (and to some extent, Clinton) Administration's blatant disregard for the basic science sector became a reality for me. Having lost major national research bids (the LHC, ITER and several others) science jobs have mostly been going to European and Asian countries. Couple that with the recent economic downturn and you also have the private sector putting hiring freezes on R&D. I've been competing for these entry-level positions with scientists who have years of experience and/or advanced degrees.

However, I do think things are starting to turn up for us science folks. Hopefully (fingers crossed as much as they will cross), Obama will fullfill his promise to produce clean energy manufacturing and research jobs. Also, there is a corporation I am very interested in that is, supposedly, lifting their hiring freeze by the end of the year.

On the up side, I am very young, don't yet have much to lose and am getting a consideral amount of help from my family who, except for their retirement funds, is still doing fairly well despite the economy.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 PM

126 posts, read 280,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I find it deeply disturbing how Jesse always seems to mention his parents and their questionable mortality.
Totally agree, feel like there are always cockroaches in the city which only know how to consume but not produce.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 PM

57 posts, read 157,634 times
I was seeing the recession before and am feeling it now. Between November and January I saw probably 8-10 good friends and/or coworkers laid off. As of a few weeks ago, I'm on an 80% reduced schedule at work. I'm in business/technology consulting and we're seeing plenty of interest, but companies are not ready to pull the trigger and commit to these projects... lots of deals sitting in the pipeline and stretching it out. So I'm only taking home 80% of my base salary and we're not getting salary adjustments. My fiancee is in the marketing department at a hospital, she is full-time, but her company has also instituted a salary freeze.

Hopefully some of these companies start spending again and I'll get back to working full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago