Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
South loop???

the Harrison north/Wells West, Michigan East, Roosevelt South corridor is safe. once you past roosevelt though... I'd only go east of State street down to 18thish.
You're nuts. South of Roosevelt to the end of whatever fuzzy neighborhood boundaries South Loopis fine. Cermak is fine too unless you are worried about the Yakuza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
ha! OK, so if Western is the West edge, what would your north/south/east boundaries be?

Thanks!
To be honest with you I would stay E/W between Damen and Wood.

N/S between North Ave. and Armitage.

That is the best advice I can give.

It is really hard to narrow things down because of all the scattered sites (that I do not have the addresses to or know of off the top of my head) that are in Wicker Park and Bucktown.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think this may be what we had in our alley. We lived on Evergreen, but shared an alley with Wolcott--and there were two new-ish (1980s?) low income buildings on the alley that caused BIG TROUBLE for us...
Yes, there are plenty of low-income buildings built between 1980-1990 as well to the newer ones in Wicker Park,Bucktown,and Ukrainian Village.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
On on the edge near Western, on Oakley, and everything here is A - OK...
In fact, Oakley is one of the streets that have a huge number of questionable characters and crap buildings. The closer you get to Division the worse it gets.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,643 times
I live on Webster just west of Damen and it's fine. There are no scattered site housing developments over here, nor do there seem to be north of Armitage & east of Western. I know there is a few in Wicker Park south of North Ave. Basically, north of Armitage is fine east of Western, it's been gentrified for the most part.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 AM

202 posts, read 763,031 times
The South Loop is predominantly Columbia College now, it is crowded, and people are mugged frequently. However, I guess that is true of the other neighborhoods you mentioned, it is just Columbia kids really crowd up the South Loop.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think this may be what we had in our alley. We lived on Evergreen, but shared an alley with Wolcott--and there were two new-ish (1980s?) low income buildings on the alley that caused BIG TROUBLE for us. This was in the heart of Wicker Park on a block with multi-million dollar homes. I now avoid the so-called "affordable housing" like the plague and have embraced staunchly conservative housing policy. Living in Uptown pushed me over the top!
We looked at a place -- I *think* it was at Hoyne and LeMoyne (we looked at like 8 apartments so my memory is failing me) -- that was right next to a Bieckerdike and specifically because of what I'd learned on this forum, we crossed that place off our list.

As far as a northern boundary? Other than accessibility to the el, there's not much reason to worry. We looked at a place at Webster and Hoyne in Bucktown that was really nice, but we wanted to be closer to the l and to the heart of the neighborhood. But safety wise it seemed perfectly fine.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Thanks guys and gals!! That helps!

Old 03-07-2009, 04:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
You're nuts. South of Roosevelt to the end of whatever fuzzy neighborhood boundaries South Loopis fine. Cermak is fine too unless you are worried about the Yakuza.
yes, south of roosevelt east of dearborn/state street area... if you go down to the bottom towards cermak its projects by the white castle, etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
yes, south of roosevelt east of dearborn/state street area... if you go down to the bottom towards cermak its projects by the white castle, etc.
CHANGE - Chicago Housing Authority | Housing Developments | Family Developments | Ickes Homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: