Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM

11 posts, read 41,522 times

Advertisements

I'd love to see this building get completed. Chicago needs another contender...hell America does. The Sears Tower was once the heavyweight champ of skyscrappers and in my travels I've seen some of the new contenders and regardless The Sears Tower is still a King snake (although the Burj Dubai once completed will be the undisputed champ). Just wanted to know what the people of Chicago thought about the Chicago Spire. Do you want to see is built? Do you think it will ever be completed considering the current economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 PM

425 posts, read 1,437,530 times
It doubt work will be resumed any time soon, and I also doubt that it will be finished as currently planned. We've learned over the past months the limits of our nation's housing market, and there is just no way it could ever support a 120+ story building of nothing but condos. Maybe if it had some office space and retail added to it, things might be different.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 PM

161 posts, read 389,424 times
If the spire is completed by 2012 the economy should booming by then, and the condo will sell faster then, uhh, something that sells really fast.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Developing nations need giant skyscrapers not developed ones. What benefit do we get out of it?

We don't need to prove our balls are big the way UAE etc. does.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 PM

11 posts, read 41,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Developing nations need giant skyscrapers not developed ones. What benefit do we get out of it?

We don't need to prove our balls are big the way UAE etc. does.
Maybe its just me but I'd like to get back to the days when America had the best of everything or at least wanted to strive to have the best of everything. The tallest this, the most modern that, the most state of the art whatever, etc.

Seems like America just doesn't want to compete anymore. If we're not going to strive for these types of things where is the motivation for the kids who want to be architects and engineers. Yet most Americans will say that America is the greatest country in the world based on things that we take for granted.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:22 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amensupremera View Post
Maybe its just me but I'd like to get back to the days when America had the best of everything or at least wanted to strive to have the best of everything. The tallest this, the most modern that, the most state of the art whatever, etc.

Seems like America just doesn't want to compete anymore. If we're not going to strive for these types of things where is the motivation for the kids who want to be architects and engineers. Yet most Americans will say that America is the greatest country in the world based on things that we take for granted.
Most of the supertalls are being built for ego-boosting purposes rather than true economic necessity. America has long outgrown the need for ego boosting via supertall construction. When we're in need of ego-boosting, we invade other countries instead.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
When we're in need of ego-boosting, we invade other countries instead.
::snort::

I agree with sukwoo completely. What do we get out of it? Wouldn't that money be better put towards health care or education -- at least then we could have the healthiest, smartest people. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's the mark of a great country.

As long as this is true:

Quote:
UNICEF states that although the U.S. is still the wealthiest country on Earth, with income levels higher than any other country, it also has one of the highest incidences of child poverty among the rich, industrialized nations. Denmark and Finland have child-poverty levels of less than 3 percent, and are closely followed by Norway and Sweden, thanks to higher levels of social spending. In the U.S., 17 percent of children live in poverty.

we have a long way to go toward being the greatest country in the world.

Rich Man, Poor Man: Hungry Children in America

Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amensupremera View Post

Now we just build the world's tallest building for other people. The Burj Dubai, currently the tallest man-made structure on the planet, was designed by the Chicago office of architecture and engineering firm Skidmore Owings and Merrill. All Dubai did was pay for it.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Now we just build the world's tallest building for other people. The Burj Dubai, currently the tallest man-made structure on the planet, was designed by the Chicago office of architecture and engineering firm Skidmore Owings and Merrill. All Dubai did was pay for it.
And it's a **** ugly building in a city that has no industry to sustain the grid.

Dubai was a hideous mistake; we already have one Disneyland, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago