Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,599 times

Advertisements

I've tried to find the answer to the question above in many of the threads on neighborhoods and family living on the forum, however, I was hoping to find some more input. We (my wife and 13 months old son) will be moving to Chicago probably by the end of the summer. For the sake of negotiation I'm trying to find out what I would have to pay for rent. As rents differ of course per area, I think I first need to know which area would suit me best and then see which rents are asked. We're both 30 and would like to leave near restaurants, bars, (movie) theater etc., but also appreciate to have the grocery store nearby. I think my son will like to play outside, so a garden would be nice. Further I am expecting proud grandparents coming over regularly to visit their grandson, so I will need at least 3 bedrooms, preferably 4 (maybe a second baby underway). I will work in an Area called 'Loop' which is I understand easily reachable by public transportation. However, to make the most out of the limited time (2/3 years) we will have, I would like to have one or two cars parked near our residence.

Based on these requirements, which area's are recommendable? Thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 07:13 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
How much commuting time are you used to? I think you may be headed to one of our close-in suburbs.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 AM

Currently I'm at work within 5 minutes by bike, but understand that a big city requires more commuting time. I think half an hour by car or public transportation would be OK.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
North Center, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square, Western Lakeview are some of the better city neighborhoods that provide what you're looking for. Lots of families with young children, restaurants/shopping nearby, small yards, public transit access, but also adequate street parking. You're door to door commute will probably be closer to 45 minutes via public transit, however.

You're probably looking around 1500 minimum for a basic 3 bedroom in those areas.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 PM

19 posts, read 44,302 times
Default Try Evanston

A close-in suburb, Evanston has an intellectual community and its own night life. Good parks, great selection of shops and stores of all kinds. A bit out of your specification for commute time, but quick and reasonably priced rapid transit can get you to the Loop with little trouble.

The pricing of Chicago housing is affected by the overall mortgage mess, plus severe overbuilding of condominium apartment buildings. So it's hard to say what to offer or to expect. Do a quick check or craigslist chicago to see what people are asking [http://chicago.craigslist.org].

For instance, a big, new apartment in an upscale close-in neighborhood (Dayton and Armitage Streets, Lincoln Park) is at GORGEOUS GUT REHAB!! Wood burning fireplace and In-Unit W&D! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/1093701817.html - broken link) Smaller apartments in less popular, farther away neighborhoods would of course be cheaper.

Some of the ethnic neighborhoods are worth a look, too. The area between the museum complex and Chinatown (South side) is way overbuilt with condos, probably you could get a deal. Don't know about how suitable the area is for small kids, though.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
North Center, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square, Western Lakeview are some of the better city neighborhoods...

You're probably looking around 1500 minimum for a basic 3 bedroom in those areas.
1000-1100-1200 can still be found in those areas.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaerjeng View Post
I've tried to find the answer to the question above in many of the threads on neighborhoods and family living on the forum, however, I was hoping to find some more input. We (my wife and 13 months old son) will be moving to Chicago probably by the end of the summer. For the sake of negotiation I'm trying to find out what I would have to pay for rent. As rents differ of course per area, I think I first need to know which area would suit me best and then see which rents are asked. We're both 30 and would like to leave near restaurants, bars, (movie) theater etc., but also appreciate to have the grocery store nearby. I think my son will like to play outside, so a garden would be nice. Further I am expecting proud grandparents coming over regularly to visit their grandson, so I will need at least 3 bedrooms, preferably 4 (maybe a second baby underway). I will work in an Area called 'Loop' which is I understand easily reachable by public transportation. However, to make the most out of the limited time (2/3 years) we will have, I would like to have one or two cars parked near our residence.

Based on these requirements, which area's are recommendable? Thank you all for your help!
Best area in town? - Peterson Park

Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 AM

Thanks for all the tips! Now I know what to look for. I'll be back to ask questions on bars restaurants and other good things about Chicago.

Regards

Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM

36 posts, read 73,399 times
Let me know what you are looking for- City vs. Suburbs. Since your child is so young and you will only be here for 2-3 years, the city is a viable option if that is your preference.

I have lived in the city of Chicago for almost 9-years and absolutely love it. Friends of mine live here with young kids as well and there are many parks to play in and garages or easy street parking for your cars (depending on where you live). There is tons to do, good public transportation, Lake Michigan (also the beach in the summer), street fests, tons of restaurants and bars, music events....you get my point. And much of it is walkable if you live in the right area.

As you can see I would recommend the city over the suburbs in a heartbeat!! Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help as best as I can.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,298 times
if you want to live near and access restaurants, bars, etc. i'd definitely live inside the city. jdiddy recommended some good family areas where you get a fair amount of space for the price. lincoln park is also really nice if you can afford it, and its closer to the loop as well. another area that could be nice is southport up in lakeview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago