Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM

9 posts, read 15,183 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I had to relocate for a while in Miami after 3 years in NYC, and this is just hell. Not only for me but also for my English-Bulldog. So, I have investigated a lot these last week and each time, Chicago went back on my top-list. Seems a good place for a urban and single gay guy, European roots and also, with a dog and a job. Many warned me about the weather though, like if this was simply a question of survival OK... but I am not sure this can be harder than the beautiful yet actually infamous Miami.

Going back to NYC? I would love it. But it has become rather boring and sooo expensive.

Any advise about the place we should live (oh yes, I DON'T drive), the gay life, the attitude towards doggies, would be welcome, I think I just can't wait to escape from here..!

Take care everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
No need for car. Most Chicago neighbors would be very easy for you to fit in, the dog would be plus socially, as you'd meet a lot of like minded people.

Although Chicago has at least "officailly recognized" area that has a large variety of night life / shops that cater to the alternative life style there are dozens of places that would also work.
Boystown, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
damn i want to get a bulldog. I need to have a dog that is as lazy as me . Do they really snore loud?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
^^Yes, lol. They really do!

Chicago is very dog friendly and I suspect, if you can get used to the weather, you could be very happy here.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 AM

They do ;-) But they are less lazy than you think... I mean, between to sessions of sleep

Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No need for car. Most Chicago neighbors would be very easy for you to fit in, the dog would be plus socially, as you'd meet a lot of like minded people.

Although Chicago has at least "officailly recognized" area that has a large variety of night life / shops that cater to the alternative life style there are dozens of places that would also work.
Boystown, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck!
Thanks
Do you think that thinking about a rent around 1100 per month is realistic? (many tell me that Andersonville, Lakeview, Edgewater would be the best or a gay guy...)

Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
damn i want to get a bulldog. I need to have a dog that is as lazy as me . Do they really snore loud?
The snoring is nothing in comparison to the gas. This is my baby boy on his 2nd birthday:

Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyguy View Post
Thanks
Do you think that thinking about a rent around 1100 per month is realistic? (many tell me that Andersonville, Lakeview, Edgewater would be the best or a gay guy...)
That should be easily doable.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 PM

295 posts, read 838,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^^Yes, lol. They really do!

Chicago is very dog friendly

No, no, no, no no!

Chicago is not very dog friendly for renters. Most buildings that do allow dogs have breed and/or weight restrictions. Yes, there are a lot of dog parks, but owning a dog will make your apartment search more difficult. Your pricing is great for Andersonville but mediocre for Lakeview, however, both neighborhoods are gay friendly and easily accesible via Clark Street.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 PM

308 posts, read 757,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyguy View Post
Thanks
I'm in a very similar circumstance. I'm looking for apartments around that price range with a dog. I have found many good matches in Andersonville and Edgewater. Lakeview has some but not as many. I would think that Andersonville and Lakeview would probably be the two top choices you would have for nightlife, meeting people, etc. with Lakeview being the top. However, Edgewater and Andersonville are a short train ride away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago