Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 PM

442 posts, read 790,842 times

Advertisements

I was looking for apartments in Chicago (I'm moving from NYC) and I came across this decent residential tower--It's located on W Chestnut st. between N Dearborn and N Clark st. (A block away from the Red line Chicago stop and 4-5 blocks from the Purple line Chicago stop), and the zip for this area is 60610. Is this a nice, safe, architecturally/aesthetically pleasing part of town? Is this area good for someone with a sedan? I'm not looking for nightlife or anything, so don't worry about that. Thanks in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
I was looking for apartments in Chicago (I'm moving from NYC) and I came across this decent residential tower--It's located on W Chestnut st. between N Dearborn and N Clark st. (A block away from the Red line Chicago stop and 4-5 blocks from the Purple line Chicago stop), and the zip for this area is 60610. Is this a nice, safe, architecturally/aesthetically pleasing part of town? Is this area good for someone with a sedan? I'm not looking for nightlife or anything, so don't worry about that. Thanks in advance .
To answer your questions: yes, yes, yes and no, unless you also have about $250/mo extra in your budget to rent a parking space. there is ZERO off-street parking in the area where you can just leave your car; it's all metered or no parking zones. And whether you want nightlife or not, you'll have it right at your doorstep.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
You will be fine without a car, unless you have huge bucks to pay for private parking. The area is very decent enough, but still keep your eyes open. There are still housing projects a few blocks west of there and the remaining residents still like to go to the "Gold Coast" and beg or worse. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and are not naive, you will be ok. Since you are from NYC and "not looking for nightlife", you will be fine. All you need to do is figure out parking. Good luck. :-)

Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
It's a very touristy part of town with a lot of nightlife and shopping nearby. It's much to congested for convenient car ownership, but safety shouldn't be much of an issue if you keep your eyes open. The aforementioned "projects" are Cabrini Green, and they are a safe distance from Clark. There is also a large YMCA nearby, so a lot of homeless people hang out around Chicago Avenue.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
Yeah, don't bring your car if you live there and don't want to pay through the nose for parking. I lived close to that area about 8 years ago with a car, and it was the constant bane of my existence, culminating with once having to park so far away from my apartment I took a taxi home after I found my parking spot, over a mile away.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 AM

442 posts, read 790,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Yeah, don't bring your car if you live there and don't want to pay through the nose for parking. I lived close to that area about 8 years ago with a car, and it was the constant bane of my existence, culminating with once having to park so far away from my apartment I took a taxi home after I found my parking spot, over a mile away.
That doesn't sound very good...I think I'll give the car to my parents. The transportation here is good, no? How long would it take me to reach the "downtown loop" from the Chicago stop on the Red line? Any of the subway lines to avoid/be wary around at night?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:33 AM

459 posts, read 1,418,399 times
ten minute ride to the loop. you should be a little wary anywhere you go at night, regardless of where you are. muggings can happen in the safest areas of the city...

Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
True - but you don't have to be as nervous in that area at 1am as you would if you found yourself at say, Jackson and Pulaski at 1am in the morning.

I never had any problems going home late at night when I lived over there, but I wasn't stupid about it either.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
That area is probably still full of people at 1 AM in the morning. I'm sure there are a lot of tourists stumbling back to their River North hotels at that time of night. But yeah, be careful.

From Chicago Avenue you could walk to the Loop in ten minutes. The "L" ride is almost negligible, but the cars will be crowded by then (though a lot of people get off the train at Chicago Ave. to go to work). I'd probably just hop on one of the dozens of buses heading south instead of waiting for the train.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Or if you're nervous of your surroundings at all just take a cab- it'll be like $5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: