Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Anytime I've ever been to Small Bar it has been packed, which seems odd considering its location. I don't want to be the one to call this one but I don't think that place is purely a local's gem any longer.
once they opened the Division Street location the word got out, but mostly (I don't go as much since I've had a kid) it only seems to get packed on weekends, and even then, only late - still a great place for weeknights and weekend afternoons, and the patio eases the crowding during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
and yet you STILL haven't offered anything even remotely helpful to the OP, despite all of your "knowledge" and just bashed them outright. I also didn't realize one had to reside in an area to have any sort of an opinion about it, even if that opinion is based on personal experience

again, get help for whatever anger issues you have then come back when you want to behave like a normal, intelligible, reasonable adult, mmmkay? then maybe, just maybe, people will take you somewhat more seriously and not just brush you off as another Gioobag/lilywhite/insert-Chicago-forum-irritant troll
Eeveecakes:

I suggested that the OP should remain in Lakeview and take the Halsted bus to UIC, which, I might add, I HONESTLY REALLY TRULY ACTUALLY DID in '76-'77 when I was an undergrad there. You really should try reading the posts you respond to sometime. You'll be AMAZED at what you find.

You should also make a habit of zipping it about things that you have not experienced and don't really know about - such what life is like in East Pilsen or University Village or Taylor Street or West Loop or anywhere near UIC. Your opinion is your opinion, but it is worthless when it is based on ignorance. So I guess we agree that you don't need to experience a place to have a meaningless opinion of it.

Finally: I conclude, by the tone of your post, that you were genuinely upset when you came to the realization that Heart of Chicago ISN'T a Godfather Part 2 themed Lettuce Entertain You restaurant. I sincerely hope things are going better in West Ukranian Village or West Wicker Park or West West Town or West Wherever the Hell.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Eeveecakes:

I suggested that the OP should remain in Lakeview and take the Halsted bus to UIC, which, I might add, I HONESTLY REALLY TRULY ACTUALLY DID in '76-'77 when I was an undergrad there
I spent years taking the 8 Halsted from roughly Belmont to Roosevelt, and while it worked fine in the mid/late 80s, I think the roads have gotten a *lot* more congested since then with the West Loop growth, and the trip would take a lot longer now. Anyone who still takes this route regularly that could give us info on how long it takes to get from LV to UIC in rush hour?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Eeveecakes:

I suggested that the OP should remain in Lakeview and take the Halsted bus to UIC, which, I might add, I HONESTLY REALLY TRULY ACTUALLY DID in '76-'77 when I was an undergrad there. You really should try reading the posts you respond to sometime. You'll be AMAZED at what you find.

You should also make a habit of zipping it about things that you have not experienced and don't really know about - such what life is like in East Pilsen or University Village or Taylor Street or West Loop or anywhere near UIC. Your opinion is your opinion, but it is worthless when it is based on ignorance. So I guess we agree that you don't need to experience a place to have a meaningless opinion of it.

Finally: I conclude, by the tone of your post, that you were genuinely upset when you came to the realization that Heart of Chicago ISN'T a Godfather Part 2 themed Lettuce Entertain You restaurant. I sincerely hope things are going better in West Ukranian Village or West Wicker Park or West West Town or West Wherever the Hell.
sorry, it's very hard to read any advice you give when your very FIRST response is ridiculously berating and insulting:

Quote:
Frankly, I am skeptical about you being able to find anything decent in University Village, or anywhere near UIC for $1200 or less, so your skepticism is well-placed.

East Pilsen is probably where you belong, but since you are obviously too good for that, you should porbably make it easy on yourself, postpone the moving project,and work on your superiority complex instead.

All you really need is to be near the Halsted bus.
yes, I have NO doubt in my mind at all that the OP will heed your advice when you talk down to them like this. BTW, where is your recommendation of Lakeview in this response? seriously, responses like these makes you a prized, knowledgeable member of the community

frankly, I don't care if it's called Pilsen or HOC. everyone I've ever talked to, including my LL (born and bred in the area) calls it Pilsen. I'm not so hung up w/ boundary lines as you are. the neighborhood doesn't take a complete 180 once you cross the line.

you seem incapable of giving advice w/o berating people, so why bother responding to threads like these as if people will heed your advice? I hope you solve what ever issues you have in your life that causes you to lash out on people seeking help in this forum the way you do. again, you'll find people will take you more seriously if you act like a reasonable adult and some may even listen to your advice

oh, and don't call me cake and I won't call you muffin

Old 08-28-2009, 04:15 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Is there a place in Chicago (or any other large city) without gang presence?
yes there are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago