Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
what?
Sorry mas, not for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM

68 posts, read 215,195 times
full article here: Schools to focus on kids most likely to get shot :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Education (http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/1752812,CST-NWS-skul04.article - broken link)

He all but admits that profiling works:

Huberman, a former police officer with a penchant for data, said the toughest part of the job he assumed last January is that; I have not gone more than three days without having to talk to a parent who has lost a child.'':

Determined to attack the problem, Huberman assigned analysts to study the characteristics of all CPS high school students shot in the last five years. The brutal facts,'' he said, are that such kids were more likely to be black males, homeless, special education students and students at alternative schools.

NOW.....if we could get the CPD permission to similarly focus on those people most likely to do the shooting ....give the CPD the same $30 million.

Last edited by Brisklaw; 09-09-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
^^I don't necessarily agree that CPS should pour that much money per student into this program but there are schools for kids that are likely to become criminals, drug addicts, etc around the country. Frontline actually had a miniseries documentary
(FRONTLINE: country boys: watch the full program online | PBS ) about teens at one such school in Appalachia and guess what, the majority of the school is white. This doesn't have to be a racial issue, and isn't necessarily nationwide, but is in the case of CPS because the numbers prove that poor, black, males are the most likely to be killed or incarcerated before reaching adulthood.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^I don't necessarily agree that CPS should pour that much money per student into this program but there are schools for kids that are likely to become criminals, drug addicts, etc around the country. Frontline actually had a miniseries documentary
(FRONTLINE: country boys: watch the full program online | PBS ) about teens at one such school in Appalachia and guess what, the majority of the school is white. This doesn't have to be a racial issue, and isn't necessarily nationwide, but is in the case of CPS because the numbers prove that poor, black, males are the most likely to be killed or incarcerated before reaching adulthood.
Wow, Frontline did that?? That shows that BS propaganda can work, or be used wrongly. The crime rates in WV are among the lowest in the nation.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Frankly I think Huberman is a moron if he think getting a kid a job is useful at all -- jobs pay reasonable sums of money for a small amount of effort and a moderate degree of routine. Criminal activity has the potential to end in death (about as big a downside as there is) but also the slim chance to temporarily reap enormous amounts of cash / fame / thrills.

Criminals are not drawn to crime to make a steady living...

Pretty sure in Illinois even Charter Schools are "in district only", so no reason to worry that Huberman's 'profiled' kids are going to end up anywhere other than Chicago unless he gets a whole lot of legislators in Springpatch to slash their own throats by going against the wishes of teacher's unions and homeowners...

Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM

945 posts, read 1,988,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That would be what you pay to Chicago schools, $0, you don't live here. Get off your high horse, this is no concern of yours. Confine your lectures to DuPage County affiars.

Excuse me, I beg to differ. It's called state and federal funding, my friend, and the state of IL has poured millions upon millions into the CPS with NO results. In fact, didn't they pass LA as the worst school system in the nation, about 2 years ago? It's not about the facilities or quality of the staff and the education they are trying to provide. It's the "clientel" that goes to them. Everyone knows that if you plan to live downtown, you'd better well afford private schools as no one would send their worst enemy to the CPS school system. The way our schools are funded in this nation is absurd. Equal/free education is a joke. We have healthcare reform, wait until Obama's next agenda......education reform. Remember the ******* who loaded busloads to New Trier and insisted these kids deserved to go to their school? Really, so I assume the parents of these kids support their local schools like the NT parents do....I hope you are resonable enough to see my arguement here.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Bus the inner city kids to Stevenson and Glenbrook North, and then let's see how Democrat and Liberal the parents will be.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 PM

211 posts, read 530,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisklaw View Post
Bus the inner city kids to Stevenson and Glenbrook North, and then let's see how Democrat and Liberal the parents will be.
I take it you're referring to der juden?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
Ridiculous BS these students or their families pay $0 dollars in taxes to pay for ANY kind of school, let alone these state of the art, swimming pool graced schools they just opened yesterday! You want to see my tax bill for the Wheaton schools? No, I'll tell you....over 7K of our property tax bill in DuPage CO. !
None of your property taxes in Dupage Co. went to CPS, so this essentially is none of your business. You don't live in Chicago, so the quality of CPS does not affect your pocket book or quality of life.

I also did not see a mention of race anywhere in the article, so I don't get how this is racial profiling. Nevertheless I think this program is a waste of money as many of the kids shot are thugs in training.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i would take kevlar over a social worker any day unless they are really fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago