Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 07:52 AM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times

Advertisements

How is the neighborhood right here? Good for a 25 year old female to live? I can't figure out exactly what neighborhood this would be (I am thinking it's kind of a mix). What kinds of stores/shops are around here? Is it pretty safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 92,930 times
You're looking at the Wicker Park / East Village area and it is a good place for a 25 y/o female. The streets are busy most of the time and I have never once felt like I was in danger. The shops tend to cater to rich hipsters and even richer yuppies with a few exceptions. You're right by the Blue Line if you need to get downtown and the buses run all night on Ashland. I have lived in the area for 7 years and you are coming in during a fairly safe time, a lot better than it was 10 years ago.

The nightlife is also great around there, you have dive bars and late night restaurants everywhere, also night clubs and upscale places too. If you want to know more about anything in specific let me know.

The only downside is that most of the stuff that made the neighborhood what it is today is gone or warped into something that caters to a different crowd. The rents are going to go up (they have been for years) and buying, at least for someone who doesn't want to spend $400k for a condo, is out of the question.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:38 PM

I should also point out that Wells High School right on the corner of Ashland and Augusta is sort of sketchy. But after the kids leave / during the summer it is totally fine.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
That's an area that looks rougher than it is, especially along Ashland Avenue. You'll find that the 4-lane thoroughfares always look scruffy even in the nicest parts of town. Ashland/Augusta puts you right at the doorway to one of the most vibrant nightlife neighborhoods in the city, Wicker Park/Bucktown, centered around Milwaukee Avenue from Division to Western. Plus, you're only a block away from the three best taco stands in the city: La Pasadita, La Pasadita and.... damn, can't remember the name of the third one.... oh yeah -- La Pasadita.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:32 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
Haha, I'll be sure to stop by La Pasadita. I love my tacos. Well, this is great, because it looks like this is where I will be moving! Thanks for the responses!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:57 PM

mmmm, I lived off La Pasadita and Pizza Metro my first year here... so good. Duc's, right down the street, is decent for fast food as well. All of those place stay open past midnight too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: