Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 PM

9 posts, read 28,663 times

Advertisements

Hi,
so my girlfriend and I are looking for places to buy a house, and McKinley park seems perfect--lots of people of all races and ages wandering around, well-kept properties, youngish kids out on the sidewalk without obvious parental fear that they're in danger, close to transport, etc. My only question is whether the neighborhood would be a friendly place for a lesbian couple, particularly one with young children. Any thoughts?

Please don't tell me to move to Andersonville--I want a house if at all possible (not a condo) and can't afford any of the traditionally gay-friendly parts of town so are looking for some less-expensive alternatives within the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,831,727 times
McKinley Park? Probably not, no.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,478,603 times
McKinley Park is ok. My Dad's side of the family grew up there and some still live there. I'm not questioning what you observed but it's not particularly diverse per my observations and per Census figures (about 77% Hispanic per the 2000 census) and it's largely working class. I don't think it would be gay un-friendly, but I don't know how many other gay couples you'll find living there, if that's part of your definition of "friendly." It was starting to see some development as a result of Bridgeport in the recent housing boom but that's probably going to be stagnant for awhile.

I know you're looking in the City but you might want to also look at Berwyn and Forest Park just outside the City. They are "inner-ring" suburbs that are very much like Chicago neighborhoods. Most of Berwyn and the southern part of Forest Park are made up of Chicago Bungalows, which are great houses and very affordable. You could certainly get something very decent now in the $250k range. And Berwyn at least has a large gay/lesbian population, as does neighboring Oak Park.

IMHO, there are a lot more restaurants, theaters, bars and other things to do than you'll find around McKinley Park (e.g. Forest Park's Madison St. and Oak Park's Lake St.). Your commute to the Loop will also be a little bit quicker from this area, due to the CTA Blue and Pink Lines and the Metra.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,661,500 times
I venture to say no way.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
McKinley Park is about 80% Hispanic, which is to say, about 80% Catholic, probably more since the other 20% is bound to have a good dose of Polish and Irish. Gay "friendly," probably not. I suspect "gay indifferent" would be more apt. If you can live with your neighbors not being interested in celebrating your gayness but would otherwise leave you alone, McKinley Park will probably be fine.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,478,603 times
As always, Drover is wise He about sums it up. I suspect you wouldn't feel threatened, but all of those nice and often un-thought of opportunities to interact with like minded people you'd get living in a more progressive community (neighborhood party circuit, BBQ's, progressive dinners, restaurant outings, etc.) would be largely absent for you in McKinley Park, at least for the foreseeable future. Maybe in 10-15 years but not now.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:23 PM

248 posts, read 1,074,631 times
Mckinnley park is fine....one of the better neigborhoods in the south side......spanish people are concerned about what floats your boat....

but dont expect not to stand out.....

Old 11-14-2008, 02:26 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,083,589 times
Mexicans, not Spanish people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
Mckinnley park is fine....one of the better neigborhoods in the south side......spanish people are concerned about what floats your boat....

but dont expect not to stand out.....

Old 11-14-2008, 02:38 PM

248 posts, read 1,074,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Mexicans, not Spanish people.

theres no nice way to say it...

"shut up"

Old 11-14-2008, 03:04 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,083,589 times
You're right. My bad. McKinley Park is full of Spanish people

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
theres no nice way to say it...

"shut up"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago