Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,421 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Chicago in 2weeks and staying with a friend for a month or so to apartment hunt. I'm working up near Deerfield...but want to live closer to the city. I'm in my mid 20s and would like to be in an area where I can meet people, be close to transportation, though I will have a car, and won't have a crazy commute every day.
NEEDS:
safe place
fun area
resturants/bars nightlife
an apt with a view...lake, skyline, etc
washer/dryer IN apt

Any thoughts, ideas, info you can provide would be much appreciated
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
To meet your criteria (and avoid a horrid commute) I would suggest that you live immediately north of the City of Chicago in Evanston, home of Northwestern University. The campus is by the Lake and a few blocks from the ultra cute downtown area. The Chicago Transit Red Line goes to downtown Evanston so you will have easy transportation to the rest of the northside (chicago) and the Loop.

You will avoid a lot of city traffic by taking Dempster from Evanston over to I 94/Edens Expressway and then north to Deerfield (there are several alternate routes).

Normally, I would suggest you check out the Lakeview or Lincoln Park areas of Chicago. However, based on your statement re. the commute I hesitate.

Good luck with everything

Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 AM

209 posts, read 590,735 times
I agree with Soulful. You don't really have a lot of options given your priorities. In particular, your desire to live by the lake and have a skyline view does not blend very well with avoiding a crazy commute to Deerfield. Take a look at a map of where the lakefront is in relation to Interstate 94, which is the only realistic route to Deerfield from the city. Living along the lake rather than in a neigborhood right near 90/94 would mean driving east-west along surface streets to get to/from the highway. Most of the main east-west roads are only 2 lanes wide for most or all of the way to the highway and are absolutely choked during rush hour. This would add at least 30 minutes to your commute each way and possibly considerably more.

If you're willing to sacrifice the lakefront element, you might want to consider the Wicker Park and Bucktown neighborhoods. They are very close to 90/94, are full of young people and nightlife, are very safe, and have plenty of new or newer buildings with the amenities you mentioned.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
I agree with Soulful. You don't really have a lot of options given your priorities. In particular, your desire to live by the lake and have a skyline view does not blend very well with avoiding a crazy commute to Deerfield. Take a look at a map of where the lakefront is in relation to Interstate 94, which is the only realistic route to Deerfield from the city. Living along the lake rather than in a neigborhood right near 90/94 would mean driving east-west along surface streets to get to/from the highway. Most of the main east-west roads are only 2 lanes wide for most or all of the way to the highway and are absolutely choked during rush hour. This would add at least 30 minutes to your commute each way and possibly considerably more.

If you're willing to sacrifice the lakefront element, you might want to consider the Wicker Park and Bucktown neighborhoods. They are very close to 90/94, are full of young people and nightlife, are very safe, and have plenty of new or newer buildings with the amenities you mentioned.
Wicker Park to Deerfield sounds like a crazy commute to me. Any chance that the job is located close to a Metra (commuter rail) station? Probably not, but if so, taking the train would beat driving.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 AM

209 posts, read 590,735 times
I agree with you, Oakparkdude. Wicker Park to Deerfield is not a commute I'd want to make either. I guess I should have said that it would be a less crazy commute than trying to get there from anywhere along the lakefront in the city.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
...Wicker Park to Deerfield is not a commute I'd want to make either. I guess I should have said that it would be a less crazy commute than trying to get there from anywhere along the lakefront in the city.
Why is that? The Ravenswood stop on the Union Pacific North is not too far away from Edgewater and Uptown.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 PM

732 posts, read 2,982,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
The Chicago Transit Red Line goes to downtown Evanston so you will have easy transportation to the rest of the northside (chicago) and the Loop.
Actually, no. The red line goes to Howard (north city limits) and the purple line goes into Evanston from Howard (except during rush periods when it goes down to the loop).

Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
...The red line goes to Howard (north city limits)...
Not to be a jerk (and I would not expect you to know this), but the boundary between Evanston and Chicago is further north than Howard between the lake and Chicago Ave/Clark. The last street in Chicago that runs east and west is Juneway Terrace. Juneway Terrace is about two blocks north of Howard.
The border between Evanston and Chicago is actually the beginning of Calvary Cemetary.

The other part of the border is Chicago Ave. The east side of Chicago Ave going all the way to the lake is in Chicago. Chicago Ave itself and once on the west side of it is Evanston. From Chicago Ave/Clark and Howard the border goes all the way west.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 09-28-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM

818 posts, read 2,173,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Why is that? The Ravenswood stop on the Union Pacific North is not too far away from Edgewater and Uptown.
Yes, but it is the Milwaukee District North Line that stops in downtown Deerfield. This line has stops in in the city as well, but further west. The Greyland stop is near Milwaukee/Addison, and the Addison bus will provide access to nightlife.

My other suggestion, if you plan to drive, would be Lincoln Square. You can be somewhat closer to I-94 there than you would be in Lakeview or Evanston, but be along the brown line. If you live close to Foster Ave. you can access I-94 there north of the 90/94 split which can cause some traffic in rush hour.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Yes, but it is the Milwaukee District North Line that stops in downtown Deerfield...
It depends where in the Deerfield area the OP will be working. If he is working in the extreme eastern or southern portion of Deerfield the UPN stops at Ravinia and Braeside probably have better bus connections than the Deerfield stop on the MDN. Also if he is working in the extreme northern portion of Deerfield the UPN Highland Park stop can work better than the Deerfield stop depending on several factors.

Also, the OP did not say he will be working in downtown Deerfield or even Deerfield at all-he said near Deerfield. Which for all we know can be Northbrook,Bannockburn,Riverwoods,or whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa12 View Post
...I'm working up near Deerfield...

Last edited by Avengerfire; 09-28-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago