Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

I felt so awful for the girl killed at the bus stop (well obviously still do), but I swear there's always the follow up like in that article with the:

She's only 20 years old, has a 3 year old, 2 year old, 1 year old, isn't married, and the kids are in foster care because of a "mishap".

Cleaning up the violence is an immediate priority, but you have to get to the root of the social issues if you're ever going to stem off violence without an armed police presence to just prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
I think there are a few things plaguing the black community.
1) too many of their hero's or providers of inspiration are thugs themselves (gangste rap, wannabe rapper athletes, etc).
2) too many of the mouthpieces for the black community are too afraid to address the real issue (other than Bill Cosby). yes, poverty, education, jobs, etc are the results, but what is the cause? That's what they need to tackle.
3) There's no stigma or shame in having children when you're not married, don't have a job and don't have an education. These girls where it like a badge of honor without considering the consequences, figuring someone will help care for the children.
4) The teen preganancy issue needs to have the gloves taken off and faced head on, early in the schooling. Both boys and girls.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I think there are a few things plaguing the black community.

4) The teen preganancy issue needs to have the gloves taken off and faced head on, early in the schooling. Both boys and girls.
I'd love to see an end to the failure of abstinence-only education and provide better access to abortion clinics for teens.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'd love to see an end to the failure of abstinence-only education and provide better access to abortion clinics for teens.
Why not start with available, no-questions asked, birth control first??!!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I know the location of the meeting is an easy populist critique, but in all reality, I don't see how being closer to a few vacant lots and boarded up buildings would change anything.
For one it would cost the tax payers less money..

Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Why not start with available, no-questions asked, birth control first??!!
That'd be good as well.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 AM

24 posts, read 60,131 times
I don't support abortion, but I understand that it can be an option, (not a form of birth control); but I personally favor mandatory sterilization at some point for some people. I work in the criminal justice system and really do believe that at some point people should not have the right to reproduce, particularly when they have no means to support the children, are heavily involved in the drug culture, spend a lot of time in jail. etc. I know this sounds awful, and I am not saying this towards any specific race, or socio-economic group, but bringing a child into a world living a life filled with poverty, violence and drugs (generation after generation) is horrible.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharebear63 View Post
I don't support abortion, but I understand that it can be an option, (not a form of birth control); but I personally favor mandatory sterilization at some point for some people. I work in the criminal justice system and really do believe that at some point people should not have the right to reproduce, particularly when they have no means to support the children, are heavily involved in the drug culture, spend a lot of time in jail. etc. I know this sounds awful, and I am not saying this towards any specific race, or socio-economic group, but bringing a child into a world living a life filled with poverty, violence and drugs (generation after generation) is horrible.
so who would decide that a person should be mandatorily sterilized?? Please don't say the courts

Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Obama/Holder: "Here's some money, we don't really care what you do with it, but it makes us look good to give you some money to tackle youth violence in Chicago. There won't be any oversight as to how it's used so we assume it will go to a Daley friend"

When will the black community talk about what the real issues are, which in my opinion is the lack of respect for the traditional 2 parent family and where people have jobs before they start having kids. Where it's not OK to have babies when you're 15, 16, 17 years old and then rely on a 30 year old grandparent to take care of them. There's a change in culture that's needed, not another peace rally, anti-violence vigil, speech by Jessie, Al, Daley or Flager.

If you read the paper today, you saw a 20 year old was killed by a drive by at a bus stop on the west side. As you read further, you read that she had 3 kids! You may ask "what's one have to do with the other?" Well, if you don't think they do have something to do with one another, you don't get it.

Black folk neither created or maintain the ghettoes that have fostered this dysfunction.
Remember the old joke where the guy asked the fish, "Hows the water?" and the fish replied "Water,what water?"

The same thing would apply is asking the average white american about racism, it so throughly permeates or history and culture we are oblivious to it.
It's formed the very categories we think in .

No insult to any particular person meant.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharebear63 View Post
It doesn't 'sound awful', it sounds very sensical. Unfortunately, there aren't enough people in power with the nuts to state the same thing and then do something about it.

Here's a bet I'm willing to make: If you took the total population of Cook County jail (black, white, hispanic) and determined what percentage of the inmates were born to single mothers and/or teen mothers and/or had multiple siblings with different fathers, the percentage would be 85% or higher. Unfortunately, it's probably even higher for the black incarcerated group. What's that tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago