Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 AM

87 posts, read 454,809 times

Advertisements

I live in Jupiter Florida and have been thinking about opening a green coffee shop but I don't think it would work down in south Florida. I have been to Chicago twice on vacation and really like the city there. I would sell from organic coffees, teas and pastries to using recycle paper products etc. I would like it to be cozy and hip for all ages to go. With maybe Wi-FI hook up for your computer. The decor with used furniture and recycle fixtures to make it a little unique. Also maybe on different day at night have someone come play music other nights something different and maybe serve wine at night. I am trying to think of different ideas that are not like a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. A place where the community can come hang out and meet. Does anyone think there is a market for this kind of business and what areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Put it within walking distance of the FAU honors college, keep late hours, offer free wi-fi and offer hookahs after 8 pm. Business model solved.

May also want to consider renting space on the walls to local artists for a monthly fee or percentage of eventual sale and keep a small display of locally made hang bags, clothing and jewelery. College aged hippies with daddy's money eat that stuff up.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 30,066 times
with the economy the way it is i would be very reluctant to open any business unless you have BIG buck$, AND time to burn. especially in the USA.

i base my opinion on gut feelings, and alternative journalism.

libertyradiolive.com

Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
I find it hard to believe that a business like this could remain profitable. I realize that markup on a cup of coffee is huge, but everyone that comes here to sit and relax will be spending a max of what 5 bucks? If your coffee is good hopefully you could catch the morning crowd. That should hopefully make up for all of the people who will sit on a couch for 3 hours sipping a coffee that cost a buck

Old 10-12-2009, 06:51 PM

72 posts, read 261,474 times
Hi,

maybe on your next trip to Chicago, check out Metropolis in Edgewater, New Wave Coffee in Logan Square or the Unicorn in Evanston - they pretty much sound like your idea of coffee shop - and they seem to work. go for it!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Coffeeshops arnt for me.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:47 PM

173 posts, read 939,383 times
I am also thinking about opening a coffee shop.
How much money would you say it cost to get started?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
I really do not recommend being a long distance owner without overseeing it in person for a few years and only after finding a manager or two you can trust.

If some people find out you live a thousand miles away they will rob you blind.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
I live in Jupiter Florida and have been thinking about opening a green coffee shop but I don't think it would work down in south Florida. I have been to Chicago twice on vacation and really like the city there. I would sell from organic coffees, teas and pastries to using recycle paper products etc. I would like it to be cozy and hip for all ages to go. With maybe Wi-FI hook up for your computer. The decor with used furniture and recycle fixtures to make it a little unique. Also maybe on different day at night have someone come play music other nights something different and maybe serve wine at night. I am trying to think of different ideas that are not like a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. A place where the community can come hang out and meet. Does anyone think there is a market for this kind of business and what areas?
There is a huge coffee shop called Mercury Cafe on W. Chicago Ave. near Eckhart Park, it's like what you are talking about, they also sell used books, have a communist/alternative/LGBT library, and have a little stage for alternative events and readings etc. I'd prefer a rowdy beer hall with right-wingers though, how about one of those?!!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
^^Well, you're in luck. Mercury shuttered its doors earlier this month. Maybe a right-winger bar will open in its place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago