Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

Internet =/= a necessity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
There are no mechanical engineering / manufacturing type of volunteer work that will ever lead to a connection.
Don't you think that showing potential employers that you're doing something productive is a plus on you resume? You're going to have a huge time-period gap otherwise, which I understand is a huge red flag to employers.

But I'd think you'd just want to do something more social - and if you volunteer at some massive institution like the Art Institute, MSI, etc., they may not have volunteering opportunities in your field, but I guarantee all those places do have engineers on staff as the buildings are old and in constant need of maintenance - that's the kind of foot-in-the-door that might help you.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
It's clear that some social conventions should be followed, or at least paid lip service to, and proper, or at least conventional work attire, is one of them...

I don't know if this is really the issue here, but if it is, then something needs to change; common sense should take over here...

Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM

91 posts, read 294,150 times
Are you actually LIVING in the city limits or have you settled into one of the surrounding suburbs? I only ask b/c your speciality MAY get you hired in the outlying burbs more so than the city. As you know mfg jobs took a hit everywhere but they are starting to come back. Thats not to say there are a massive number of openings BUT there are more companies in the burbs that utilize your techie skills. To name a few - Elk Grove Village, Buffalo Grove, McHenry, Cary, Elgin - they quite a ways from the city, but again at least the companies exist. If you are in the city - unable to get to the burbs -check with the city colleges to see if local businesses are recruiting there. I know you've probably heard all this before - but like I said things are starting to look better than they did last year.

Lastly - while you're on unemployment take advantage of the Obama initiatives in regards to education. There are several programs at the city colleges that allow you to get a certificate in some specialty or another. It couldnt hurt to get a PLC certificate or refresh your CAD skills. Do it now b/c those Obama programs simply wont be renewed if he doesnt get a 2nd term.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
How are you people doing nowadays? Still unemployed?

Ever since moving here from Houston in Feb 2009 I have applied to many technical jobs but I haven't even gotten a single interview! 137 weeks unemployed now. I rarely applied to out of state jobs but once I get certain things done I will apply in force! It's really depressing because if I get a job in Chicago it adds up to a lot more money for me because I don't have to pay rent! And then I get to enjoy my big collection of bikes and women's clothes!
When this thread was started in 2009 I was miserable at my job but I didn't think I could afford to leave it because it paid well. Then in January 2010 (January 5th, to be exact), I was laid off. Coincidentally, my mom was laid off from her job the exact same day... my dad was laid off from his about 2 weeks later, as well.

I was the first one to find a job; I was hired in March 2010, but since (I can't lie) I was enjoying my time off and being quite productive in my own way, I put off starting until May 2010. By then my mom had a new job too. My dad started his new job in January. He was unemployed the longest due to the industry he's in; he was previously operations manager at a machine shop.

For me, at least, I ended up with 3 job offers, all within a one week period, and I took the job that I thought was best. I actually did get the job I have (as well as one of the other offers) by applying online. The job I have was listed on Monster.com, if you can believe that. My mom got her job by going to a career fair the company held. My dad also got his job online, by replying to a Craig's List ad.

Honestly, what I find ironic about my family's unemployment stint in 2010 is that the two members of my immediate family who DIDN'T get laid off were my sisters, a social worker and a teacher, both public sector jobs that get a lot/all of their funding from the state. My husband's company actually had good years in both 2009 and 2010, so he didn't have to worry about unemployment.

To anyone out there who is unemployed, I say, use the time wisely. Work hard to find a job, but also think about what it is you really enjoy and what you really want to do. I spent a lot of time making jewelry when I was unemployed. I learned a lot and got a lot of practice. That will probably never be my one and only source of income, but I'm really glad I had that experience.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 AM

378 posts, read 576,983 times
What about a US Department of State job?
I'm thinking of taking the FSO exam because I already speak Danish and I'm about to learn Icelandic and Norwegian. There are plenty of FSS tracks though.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 PM

True, but the FSS path is a bit easier than the FSO path.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 PM

312 posts, read 713,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
What about a US Department of State job?
I'm thinking of taking the FSO exam because I already speak Danish and I'm about to learn Icelandic and Norwegian. There are plenty of FSS tracks though.
If you know your history of (specifically United States) diplomacy, you will do well. But the Foreign Service Exam has an essay section.

I'm convinced that's what torpedoed my chances.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
If you know your history of (specifically United States) diplomacy, you will do well. But the Foreign Service Exam has an essay section.

I'm convinced that's what torpedoed my chances.
What languages do you speak, out of curiosity?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Update to this thread:

I'm still long term unemployed, but at least now I have had 4 job interviews at companies. But 2 perm Tech Writer jobs didn't hire me because they were lowballing salaries... My minimum of $48,000 / year was too much for them and they probably went with a cheap candidate.

I have no response or update from the State of IL or Governor about my felony pardon plea which I submitted Nov 2010.

I have hardly looked for out of state jobs and now my minivan has the dreaded strut rust problem which is a $2000 structural body work weld repair so it's almost junk.

Instead of a money making website on bicycling for transportation and weight loss I will publish this as an ebook instead.

So are any of you jobless, long term unemployed, or suffering in this economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago