Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 PM

71 posts, read 189,832 times

Advertisements

It's normal for furniture. The nice stuff is expensive. Go back to Ikea and CB2 and look harder. There are no places better than those two for cheap modern furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
You get what you pay for much of the time.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingal View Post
wow, their sofas start from above 2000. looks great though.
Hmmmm... they seem to have moved upscale from when I was looking at them five years ago. There is a sofa for $1249 on the site, but you could get something at Room & Board for that price. And Room & Board offers FAR superior quality. www.roomandboard.com

Domicile is kind of like Dania, in my opinion. You really have to pick through the dated cheesy stuff to find anything good.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 AM

258 posts, read 760,643 times
In my opinion, Chicago is woefully short of affordable modern furniture stores. There are "warehouse stores" that advertise on Craigslist, including a big one in Bensenville:
Interior Express Outlet

Check the ads in the Reader for places like Affordable Portables and Mar-Jen. They've sold "starting-out" furniture to generations of young Chicago apartment-dwellers. Other places to look:

Scandinavian Design, North near Larrabee (also in Skokie)
Room & Board, Ohio at Rush
Home Element, Ontario at Michigan
CB2, North at Halsted and Lincoln at Grace
Bo Concept, Clybourn near Willow
Rubins, Lincoln near Barry
Intaglia, Clark near Diversey
Design Studio, Dempster near Gross Point, Skokie
Dania, in Northbrook and Lombard
West Elm, in Oak Brook

Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 PM

12 posts, read 43,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
In my opinion, Chicago is woefully short of affordable modern furniture stores. There are "warehouse stores" that advertise on Craigslist, including a big one in Bensenville:
Interior Express Outlet

Check the ads in the Reader for places like Affordable Portables and Mar-Jen. They've sold "starting-out" furniture to generations of young Chicago apartment-dwellers. Other places to look:

Scandinavian Design, North near Larrabee (also in Skokie)
Room & Board, Ohio at Rush
Home Element, Ontario at Michigan
CB2, North at Halsted and Lincoln at Grace
Bo Concept, Clybourn near Willow
Rubins, Lincoln near Barry
Intaglia, Clark near Diversey
Design Studio, Dempster near Gross Point, Skokie
Dania, in Northbrook and Lombard
West Elm, in Oak Brook
thank you for the very helpful post. Yes, they are expensive but I will try and find some sale items. There is an online site lafurniture.com that has some very good pieces and free shipping. Maybe I'll try that although I am quite wary of spending so much money on online purchases. That will be my last option.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
These places aren't exclusively modern, but they have some modern furniture at decent prices:

Nadeau

Roy's

Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 PM

258 posts, read 760,643 times
Here's a Yelp rundown on various furniture places.

Continental Furniture on Milwaukee near Division carries EQ3, a Canadian line of affordable contemporary sofas and other furniture. They cater to a Hispanic crowd, so there's not a lot of contemporary stuff in the store, but they can order from the EQ3 catalog.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:10 AM

6 posts, read 31,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingal View Post
thanks for all the replies, but all of what you guys have suggested is way expensive.
a sofa on these sites cost 3000-6000$. is this normal in this city?
Price matters when your pocket allows you to invest much higher, there are many higher deals on many web store, but they are good when your budget allows.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:40 PM

37 posts, read 138,720 times
Modern Home Furnishings in Chicago has decent prices........
Modern Home Furnishings: Dining Sets
Modern Home Furnishings: Dining Sets
Unique, Contemporary, Modern, Italian, European Furniture In Chicago, IL

You can try Value City Furniture , they have some lether sofas that have a contemporary type look ....
Value City Furniture: Factory Direct Furniture - Living Room - Leather Sofas

You should look into financing , alot of places have 0% interest for like 2 to 4 years.

No Interest No Charges till 2012
TheRoomPlace.com - Enter Your Zip Code

Try your luck here for a Free full room of furniture from ABC Channel 7..........
https://register.go.com/abcotv/regis...0912_roomplace

Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 AM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You get what you pay for much of the time.
This is true. That's why I like IKEA.
You know when you're buying it that it's going to be cheap.
IKEA doesn't try to hide that it's cheap.
They don't pretend.
CB2... I think they would like to think they're a step above IKEA.
West Elm too.
But as an experienced IKEA shopper, I'm always amazed when I go into CB2 and West Elm and really check out the detailed construction of the furniture there, and they are no better than IKEA in terms of quality, yet they charge a little more (or a lot more ... at West Elm).

My motto is that if you need furniture NOW, and you don't want to spend 3K on a nice sofa, buy one at IKEA and then when you're ready to spend more down the line, you upgrade. At least you know at IKEA you're not getting ripped off, because it's obvious what you're getting.

Also beware of some of those high-priced "Italian" designer stores. It might look pretty, but try to examine the detailing and quality of some of it, and it just seems to fall below its overpriced hype of minimalist "modernity".

Get a Tylosand sofa for $599 at Ikea in the fake beige suede. It looks cool modern , it's super comfortable, looks great with hardwoods, takes an hour to put it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago