Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM

149 posts, read 454,739 times

Advertisements

OK. So, here's what I'm ideally looking for.
-On Blue Line or Red Line. I have no car. So, transit is huge.
-Feels like Southport Corridor or Lincoln Square as far as bars, safety and walkability for my dog.
-Can get to Southport Brown line station via transit in under 30 minutes.
-Can get to Monroe Red/Blue Line stop in under 30 minutes.
-Can get a relatively nice 1BD for <$1350.

I'm guessing no such place exists, but figured I'd check. I'm at Southport/Belmont now and like it, but would like to try out another part of the city and would really love to be on the Blue Line for work purposes. I liked the area around Small Bar in Bucktown/WP/Whatever, but seems like it was a trek (if it is even possible) to easily get up to Lakeview where I have Monday/Wednesday night meetings at 6:30. I'd consider South Loop, but am not sure it has the nightlife yet, I don't want to do a highrise, & am not sure that my dog would have grass and trees to use. LP & Old Town seem out of my price range, as the quality/price ratio is barely working here in LV.

Any ideas on where else in the City I could consider, or am I destined to stay in Central/Western Lakeview till my priorities or budget change?

Also, any suggestions on a specific person to use for apartment search service? I tried one yesterday and was annoyed as I had to give them directions to places three blocks from their offices and they clearly didn't know neighborhoods or their own properties well.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,218,413 times
Your best bet would be Noble Square or Ukrainian Village - basically somewhere close the the Blue line Division stop. You'd be on the Eastern end of the Division St. strip that you mentioned, and could get downtown very quickly. To get to the Southport stop you could take the Ashland Bus North and then walk East, it might take a little more than 30 minutes when traffic is bad but less time at off hours.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:49 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
I would look into Bucktown around (west of) Armitage and Ashland.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Your best bet would be Noble Square or Ukrainian Village - basically somewhere close the the Blue line Division stop. You'd be on the Eastern end of the Division St. strip that you mentioned, and could get downtown very quickly. To get to the Southport stop you could take the Ashland Bus North and then walk East, it might take a little more than 30 minutes when traffic is bad but less time at off hours.
I did some walking down in the area today and am intrigued. However, I've read getting the Blue Line South for the morning commute is a bear from the Division stop. Anyone have any idea how it compares to Red Line at Belmont? I don't think I could handle any more than that.

I have found a places closer to the Damen stop, which I think would be ideal. However, prices do look better closer to Division.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
It's way worse than Belmont. At least there you have people shuffling from Red Line trains to Brown/Purple Line trains and vice-versa so there's some turnover of people in the train which gives you a chance to get on, or at least get yourself in position for the next train. At the Division Blue Line station, the doors open and you're face to face with stationary wall of humanity that you have to play Red Rover to break through to squeeze onto the train, if there's even so much as a tiny space for you to squeeze into.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Actually the Ashland route has a stop right at Irving and Southport.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Actually the Ashland route has a stop right at Irving and Southport.
Yeah, but there will not be an Ashland Express bus for much longer. The regular Ashland bus is pretty slow in rush periods in my experience.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM

My guess is he won't be riding the bus to the Southport corridor during rush periods but during "nightlife" periods.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My guess is he won't be riding the bus to the Southport corridor during rush periods but during "nightlife" periods.
Actually, the reason I want to make it up there is my running group runs at 6:30 on Monday & Wednesday. I'd try to go from Chase Building at 5:00, to home (5:30), take the dog out for 20 minutes(6:00) and then get up there to run. I can do it now at Belmont/Southport via Red line.

Really that's the only part I'm not sure I can do and may lead me to hang out in this area, even though I feel I'm getting a little burned out with Schoolyard and Sheffields (and the dozens of other places I enjoy on the weeknights but am about 6 years too old to go into on the weekend) and want to try a new area of town.

I'm thinking it may even be quicker to run up Ashland and not depend on bus/train/whatever. I'm pretty close to Ashland Belmont now and I know it doesn't move between Wellington & Addison. The fact that Division Blue is a mess doesn't help either. Is Damen better?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
The fact that Division Blue is a mess doesn't help either. Is Damen better?
Not much, no. About the last stop where you're all but guaranteed to at least get some standing room without waiting for another train or two is California.

I'd suggest Roscoe Village but you're already close enough to it that I don't think it would represent a discernible change of pace. The stretch of Roscoe just west of Damen is pretty nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago