Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,446 times

Advertisements

I've done some checking around on the suggestions above and seem to like what I see in the Edison Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, Park Ridge, and Oak Park areas.

What did not seem to fit were Berwyn, Morton Grove, Niles, or Skokie.

Anything else you can think of in line with the original criteria (apologies for the liberal comment -- withdrawn!), in line with what I have seen and liked?

Thanks again for everyones thought and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
On the far NW side, Edison Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, it is very suburban, though obviously still the city. It will feel more suburban than urban, since most houses have front lawns and such. I encourage you to check out private schools and their price ranges and maybe get on waiting lists early on. Even though those areas are good places to live, you may not want to send your kids to middle and high school in your neighborhood as they are still CPS (Chicago Public Schools).

Though actually Norwood Park is the one ward that does tend to lean Republican, out of the 50 in the city lol.

Park Ridge is a suburb with very good schools and easy access to the loop on METRA. Though a house there is likely going to be more expensive than in those areas of the city. FYI about the southwestern edge of Park Ridge, you may hear airplane noise as it is on the approach to O'Hare. Make sure to take notice of that when you look for a house there.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Yeah, many of the areas mentioned above are where workers who must live in the city go if they have children, since it feels suburban.

What exactly is it that you like about Edison Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, Park Ridge that you don't about Morton Grove, Skokie, etc? Quite honestly they feel pretty similar to me.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloix View Post
I've done some checking around on the suggestions above and seem to like what I see in the Edison Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, Park Ridge, and Oak Park areas.

What did not seem to fit were Berwyn, Morton Grove, Niles, or Skokie.

Anything else you can think of in line with the original criteria (apologies for the liberal comment -- withdrawn!), in line with what I have seen and liked?

Thanks again for everyones thought and help.
So obviously the diversity is an issue for you, but you're not going to find a house in Park Ridge (Maine South H.S) for 340,000. My Aunt and her family recently moved from Jefferson Park to Park Ridge and they paid a little over 400,000 for a foreclosed house.

Last edited by Dncr; 02-16-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
Off of Dempster near the border with Des Plaines, in the Maine East High School neighborhood, there are homes that are in the mid $300,000 range. Maine East is a very diverse high school because they are pulling from Des Plaines with a large Hispanic and South Asian (Indian, Pakistani) population.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Well, in the city or upper class burbs probably not. But if he looks at some of the inner-ring burbs its easily doable. Berwyn has homes like this in that price range:

6727 Riverside Drive, Berwyn, IL, 60402 - MLS #07407993 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7102-W-34Th-Street_Berwyn_IL_60402_1114431636

Of course, the high school is pretty dismal. But the grade schools arent bad. And you can easily hop on the BNSF Metra for a 15-20 minute ride into Union.
Those are nice! The first one, the bungalow, was on the Berwyn Historical Society's Bungalow Tour a few years ago. The elementary schools are decent in Dist. 100. There's always Fenwick for high school which isn't too far away -- just a short bus trip down Oak Park Ave.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:58 PM

12 posts, read 40,651 times
Default neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloix View Post
Job will be in the loop near the Chicago Board of Trade
Actually, if you move to Jefferson Park, your transportation needs would be met. Metra and Blue Line both there, plus all the buses to get back home. Norwood would give you the Blue Line as well, and a nicer area, not that Jeff Park is bad. You're not gonna get a house for 350k in Oak Park.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM

12 posts, read 40,651 times
Default Skokie

is also a very nice area, so is Niles. Having grown up in Jeff Park and Norwood Park, I'm partial to them. Close to the airport, expressways, public trans, and some good schools, even public. Edison Park school and Oriole Park school, both part of the CPS, get excellent ratings. If you eventually send your kid(s) to a private school, there are many very good choices as well. Park Ridge is just West of Norwood, and also offers very safe areas, with good schools, close to transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago