Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 15,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPits312 View Post
I really like this thread, and I had a question of my own that's similar...but I didn't want to start a whole new thread on it.

I'm moving to Chicago soon, and was wondering if the "magic" of Chicago fades after moving there ("magic" was the best word I could come up with). What I'm trying to say is, I absolutely love visiting Chicago. And I driving into the city on the Stevenson Expressway is one of my favorite sites to see. Basically, I'm moving to Chicago because I think that it's a really bad a** city and I got into a good school in Chicago.

But how different is visiting than actually living in Chicago? Does the excitement fade after awhile? Even to the point where the view of the skyline on the Stevenson would get old? I'd greatly appreciate any comments.
Chicago is still great after a lifetime. I still feel the magic when I take my kids downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 AM

12 posts, read 40,654 times
Default re lakeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper27 View Post
Ode, I moved to the NW 'burbs last August and then to East Lakeview last December after living in Oklahoma and Texas for almost 8 years.

My first lesson from moving here from "the South" was that I had to drastically redefine my standards of living. In Oklahoma I lived alone and had a 750 square foot 1 bed/1 bath apartment in a really nice part of town for $650 a month, plus electricity and cable/internet. Upon moving here with a friend we had to sign on to a 1 bed/1 bath "convertable" (dining room closes off to become a bedroom) that ran us $1240 per month, with parking $100 extra per month and no utilities included. While it is in East Lakeview, a relatively decent part of the North Side, if you choose to live alone you will most likely be looking at paying around $1000+ for a studio in any "decent" area.

The second part of this lesson was redefining what I considered a "decent" area to live in. I don't think anything now of seeing homeless people begging on some corners of Lakeview, don't mind a 5 block walk to the closest grocery store, shrug off radiators and in-wall AC units when I'm used to central heat & air, and hardly notice police cars and ambulances racing down the street on occasion, more so on the weekend. If you don't like living around constant crowds you might be in for a bit of a shock, and most buildings in the sub $1000 range are going to be a bit older. Not necessarily bad, just older. Gentrification is kind of a double-edged sword; cheaper rents but higher possibility of Section 8 housing.

People up here are not quite as neighborly that they are in the south. Typically we don't say high to strangers on the street, you wouldn't pet someone else's dog unless you're at a dog park and people are a bit less outgoing overall that the southern "Hi", "G'morning" or even the nod as you pass by. We're not unfriendly, but don't feel the need to say high to everyone on the street.

Good luck on your move if you decide to go through with it! Though it was tough I haven't regretted moving here for one second, and would only leave Chicago if it was for NYC or Boston.

With all due respect, I wouldn't live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker, or Bucktown representative of the native Chicagoan. Those areas are mostly college grads and artsy types, not knocking them, who've moved from Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, and other assorted states. In all honesty, many treat the city like crap. I know this is not representative of every citizen there, but having lived there, as as a lifetime Chicagoan, most of the people I knew were not originally from the city. Again, not a bad thing, but many treated it as the frat days revisited.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 AM

12 posts, read 40,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasser View Post
I live on the NW side in the neighborhoods you talk about, and you are definitely misrepresenting the people who live up here. Don't paint all cops and firefighters with the same brush. Its just insulting.

Jefferson Park/Edison Park/Norwood Park are great areas to live, with excellent restaurants and a less crowded feel than closer to the lake.

I totally agree. I grew up in Jeff, and I'm actually rather pissed at how the neighborhood is changing. Gangbangers popping up all over the place. R.I.P. Jeff Park. As far as Edison and Norwood, just because its majority white, doesn't mean its the racist breeding ground as the far SW side is known for. EP and NP have a very suburban feel to it, close to transportation, and one of the few areas in the city where you can actually walk the streets at night without carrying a knife. Its not an area for the 20 something crowd, but more families, and people who know how to behave themselves after a few beers.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 AM

216 posts, read 668,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPits312 View Post
I really like this thread, and I had a question of my own that's similar...but I didn't want to start a whole new thread on it.

I'm moving to Chicago soon, and was wondering if the "magic" of Chicago fades after moving there ("magic" was the best word I could come up with). What I'm trying to say is, I absolutely love visiting Chicago. And I driving into the city on the Stevenson Expressway is one of my favorite sites to see. Basically, I'm moving to Chicago because I think that it's a really bad a** city and I got into a good school in Chicago.

But how different is visiting than actually living in Chicago? Does the excitement fade after awhile? Even to the point where the view of the skyline on the Stevenson would get old? I'd greatly appreciate any comments.
Visiting and living somewhere are always different experiences. When visiting, one is typically on a vacation or business trip. I once moved to a different city after visiting it, and in about 10 months, moved back here. Where I moved was just too different and the cons outweighed the pros for me.

However, I will say that after living here my entire life, with the exception of that one short move elsewhere, I'm still in awe of Chicago. I recently drove into the city from the east on the Dan Ryan and the skyline coming from that direction still gives me chills. I LOVE downtown - it's become so much more vibrant in the last 10 years and is now an area where people work and live.

I love the patchwork of neighborhoods; each with it's own feel. Some are really crappy, some are middle of the road and others are really urban and hip.

Most Chicagoans adore the lakefront and appreciate living along such a large body of water that provides us with our drinking water and many recreational activities.

You can live here many years and just scratch the surface. Between entertainment, the arts, sports, countless restaurants, bars, museums, galleries, festivals - there is no lack of things to do.

I've worked in the suburbs the last 5 years and start a new job on Monday - back downtown and am thrilled!! No more windshield time and fun things to do again at lunch and after work :-)

Old 04-30-2010, 04:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howieahandles View Post
I totally agree. I grew up in Jeff, and I'm actually rather pissed at how the neighborhood is changing. Gangbangers popping up all over the place. R.I.P. Jeff Park...
The most telling sign is to hang out at the bus/train station. It has turned into a ****hole over the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago