Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM

214 posts, read 757,871 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I want to roller skate in circles. The roads around me are too busy to encourage skating in them, and driving to Palatine isn't so desirable, so I was thinking of seeking out some tennis courts.

Are the tennis courts that are located in the Chicago Park District (like, say, Oz Park) open to the public?

Do you have to pay to use them? Will there be someone there to yell at me for rollerskating?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 03:00 PM

467 posts, read 1,891,100 times
They are free. I've played at Oz Park a few times. There are also courts in the northeastern part of Grant Park.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM

cool, thanks!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Free courts at Humboldt Park too, and they are normally less busy than Oz.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Maybe a silly question but have you though about skating on a running track? There's one at Chase Park, another at the vo-tech high school on Larabee just south of North Av, another at St. Iggy and one at UIC (this one I think is only open to the public during the summer months). They are all free to use.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Maybe a silly question but have you though about skating on a running track? There's one at Chase Park, another at the vo-tech high school on Larabee just south of North Av, another at St. Iggy and one at UIC (this one I think is only open to the public during the summer months). They are all free to use.
Oh wow, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:41 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
You should be fine in tennis courts, but obviously people that are there to play tennis have first dibs on the court.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If the courts are in good condition it is probably not the best idea to roller blade on them, and if you are talking old school non-linear skates that would really mar the lines.

The lake front , especially south of McCormick Place to Hyde Park / South Shore is very under utilized.

Running tracks are not designed to be used to skating, it is detrimental to the surface and dangerous to mix runners and skaters.

If you are serious about wanting to go in circles try a skating rink:

Welcome to Fleetwood Roller Rink.com
Martin Luther King Jr. Park and Family Entertainment Center Roller Skating Rink - Chicago, IL - Cook County
Rink Fitness Factory Roller Skating Rink - Chicago, IL - Cook County

Old 03-30-2010, 07:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
There is a huge, blank concrete pad just west of the Walt Disney Magnet School on Marine Drive in the Buena Park neighborhood. The school has basically abandoned the play area since the ambitious rennovation plans have stalled (the kids mostly play on a rooftop playground). I only ever see it used for church service parking on Sunday mornings (the school gym is used by a local church for a fee). There used to be basketball courts at this location, but they were removed after neighbors complained of the various problems there. I'd say this blank concrete area is at least half of a football field in size. There are some uneven parts to look out for and a small sink hole on the north side of it, but other than that it is relatively even.

I wouldn't recommend mucking up the nicer tennis courts with your skates. People may take issue with this.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
You can roller skate in empty church or school parking lots too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago