Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You think life is miserable now, step back just 100 years in time. The amount of leisure time we have these days is unprecedented.
I see your point, but I just feel people are overdoing it. Some are just so greedy, and will -only- live in "so and so" neighborhood, and will work their arse off to have it, whether actually having all of that is really worth sacrificing personal freedom or not.

And sugar honey iced tea, I sure wish I had the leisure you speak of...

*dreaming of those days*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I see your point, but I just feel people are overdoing it. Some are just so greedy, and will -only- live in "so and so" neighborhood, and will work their arse off to have it, whether actually having all of that is really worth sacrificing personal freedom or not.

And sugar honey iced tea, I sure wish I had the leisure you speak of...

*dreaming of those days*
You do have the leisure time I'm speaking of. You're spending it right now on this forum.

There is no distinction between electing to work more and sacrificing personal freedom. The choice to work harder to have a nicer house/car/whatever is an exercise of personal freedom. If you don't think it's worth it, you don't have to do it. One way or the other -- it's your choice.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post

Funny how little of the hot neighborhood talk on this forum is about real neighborhood things---family, friends, going to church, neighborhood taverns, sitting on the stoop talking to passersby; you know, neighborhood stuff.

Sometimes it seems people's lives here revolve around restaurants and "clubs". What are they gonna do when they start slowing down?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Funny how little of the hot neighborhood talk on this forum is about real neighborhood things---family, friends, going to church, neighborhood taverns, sitting on the stoop talking to passersby; you know, neighborhood stuff.

Sometimes it seems people's lives here revolve around restaurants and "clubs". What are they gonna do when they start slowing down?
Oh I love you already. Finally someone has said it.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:

Probably the same thing the previous generations before them did when they started slowing down: get married, start families, move to the suburbs, and generally have the focus of their lives shift as they get older and their interests, circumstances and priorities change. But there will plenty of time for that when one gets older, so why not go clubbing in the meantime while one still has one's youth?

Old 08-13-2009, 02:24 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
...There's probably a term for people who are driven to succeed and are possessed of a vision that is not subject to things like overtime or a desire to punch in/out for lunch every day. I'm just at a loss as to what it is.
Yeah there is. They are called Suckers 9 times out of 10. Once in a while (1 out of 10?) someone gets lucky with their suckattude.

Btw-One punches Out first when going to lunch and In when coming back to work.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Do people take social status in lieu of money?
definitely! as well as the feeling you are doing something good. look at a lot of the public and nfp sector.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
definitely! as well as the feeling you are doing something good. look at a lot of the public and nfp sector.
Certainly. Many of them aren't paid in the millions either. I'm sure they enjoy their work, and don't need to work 100 hours a week to feel like they have done something in life....

Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,413 times
How did this thread morph into talking about 100 hour workweeks and work-life-balance, again?

Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
How did this thread morph into talking about 100 hour workweeks and work-life-balance, again?

Oh, I'm sorry, I brought it up first I think. It just bothers me that people want or need that much money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago