Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 PM

143 posts, read 440,365 times

Advertisements

Just read about this shooting on bike article. What's going on in uptown (modern day chiraq)? why would anyone want to live there?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
How does one shooting on a bike make Uptown comparable to Iraq's war zones?

Last edited by linicx; 06-01-2010 at 12:30 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Why?

There are only pockets in Uptown that are problematic. And the areas next to Andersonville, Ravenswood, and Lakeview are as nice as anything on the North Side. Most people don't even realize these areas are parts of Uptown.

It is bounded by Lake View, Andersonville, Ravenswood/Lincoln Square, etc. It's pretty convenient.

The housing stock in Uptown is actually superior to a lot of surrounding neighborhoods. And it's discounted. We would have paid $60,000 more for a condo comparable to ours if it had been south of Irving Park Road.

It is well-served by public transportation, including the Red Line and many Lakeshore Drive Express buses to the Loop.

It's a lakefront neighborhood directly adjacent to a LARGE beach, a massive park, a harbor for pleasure boats, the lakefront paths, and a golf course.

The crime rate in Uptown, while bad compared to Lake View, is actually pretty low by Chicago standards. Most years there are fewer than five murders. Usually the tally hangs around three per year. That's not really that bad or a neighborhood of nearly 65,000 people. People who think they are risking their lives in Uptown are exagerating the dangers.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:26 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I think LK has a pretty fair assessment -- those 5 or so murders are an acceptable risk to those that choose to live there, though personally the hassles and petty criminal element are really what one has to weigh against saving $60K -- I mean the truly random "drive-by miss and hit an innocent" is incalculable but having a car broken into for a junkie that grabs your "meter quarters" or having some deranged soul shout obscenities has a finite chance of having -- in some blocks / routes from the El such an occurrence will probably be a routine almost "set your watch" event, while in other parts of uptown the neighbors will call the cops if suspicious characters wander over...

Old 06-01-2010, 06:06 AM

I don't really deal with any of the "petty" stuff where I live in the southeast corner Uptown. But many people call this area "Buena Park". We've actually had fewer problems here with petty crime than we've had in other more "premium" locations like Lincoln Park and Wicker Park. And I've been in this location for more than five years now.

Uptown is really a mixed bag. To be honest, there are only a few parts of the neighborhood I'd be comfortable living in--especially with the kids. But it really needs to be stated that there are parts of Uptown that are as nice as anything on the North Side. It's a big community area, and parts of it blend in seamlessly with adjacent neighborhoods. A large chunk of what people consider "Andersonville" is actually in Uptown, for instance. It's the central part of the neighborhood--with the bulk of the retail storefronts and the Uptown Theater--that is the most problematic area. Driving through, this is what people think of as "Uptown".

Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,287 times
Until Schiller is ousted, Uptown will continue to be the hood of the northside (competing with Rogers Park for the dubious distinction). When you combine that many social service orgs, methodone clinics, SRO dwellings, etc, you're going to create an environment that attracts a segment of society that most of us want nothing to do with.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 AM

Lenniel is correct as far as lakefront neighborhoods are concerned. Rogers Park is marginally worse than Uptown... In terms of crime statistics, anyway.

If you go west you get some much larger concentrations of gang activity than anything you might find along the lakefront. Neighborhoods like Albany Park and Logan Square have more violent crime than Uptown. Irving Park and Avondale have significant pockets that are problematic. And as you get further south into Hermosa and Cragin, you have some MAJOR problems (though these neighborhoods are more West Side, I suppose).

Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 AM

400 posts, read 957,335 times
Uptown does continue to improve.
I wouldnt mind living there.
Living somewhere where things continue to worsen
is much scarier.

Some very large buildings have to be emptied out and redone.
The sommerset hellhole nursing home just closed.
The empty maryville buildings eventually will
be nice highrises.
I am a bit nervous about what the new low income housing
at wilson yard will affect the neigborhood.
Personally that is what disturbs me the most.
Hopefully it will turn out ok.

The popeyes at wilson and broadway is gone
and the storefronts there owned by the cta are being rehabbed.
So overall things are amazingly continuing to move in
the right direction.

A neigborhood with tons of potential.
That will continue to improve.
But will probably always have more than its fair share
of low income housing and psych cases and drug cases.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,395 times
Was that supposed to be a poem?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM

400 posts, read 957,335 times
I dont know why but my posts do end up
looking poetic.

Haha, you arent the first to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago