Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:14 AM

20 posts, read 43,890 times

Advertisements

I find it hilarious that the loss of a Popeye's is apparently a bellwether of an improving neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
^^^
Roflzzzz

Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,285 times
First time poster, but felt compelled to register and drop a quick reply. I have lived in the Margate Park section of Uptown for about a year now and had come across a few Uptown threads on this board before deciding to rent in this area and thought it worth giving my 2 cents. I think the draw of the neighborhood is clear, park/lake access, transportation, value and the crime/shadiness overblown. Unfortunately the core of Uptown, Wilson-Lawrence, Broadway to Sheridan is the sketchiest part with better to nice pockets on the SE, NE and NW corners. I’m not sure if the core of the neighborhood will ever improve and I’d lean towards it won’t, and as a renter (getting a sick deal to live lakefront) I don’t have much at stake other than want to see potential realized. Anyways I’ve had an overall positive experience here, positive enough to renew my lease.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyelement View Post
I find it hilarious that the loss of a Popeye's is apparently a bellwether of an improving neighborhood.
The closure of the KFC at Buena and Broadway has cut down on skeeviness too. You can draw your own conclusions from that. But it's a special neighborhood where an abandoned, boarded up KFC is preferable to a functioning one.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The closure of the KFC at Buena and Broadway has cut down on skeeviness too. You can draw your own conclusions from that. But it's a special neighborhood where an abandoned, boarded up KFC is preferable to a functioning one.
I live behind that KFC, and showed up to the Buena Park Neighbors event a few weekends ago to clean it up for a few hours. I talked with Don and Jim (two who are running for alderman), as well as a few people involved in the community who keep track of everything.

That KFC was bought by developers, closed, and then the economy crashed and the developers went bust. One piece of good news is the foreclosure of the property looks to FINALLY be proceeding via the bank. The problem currently is that the city and residents are calling the owners furious about the condition of the property. Unfortunately calls and fines don't really get much attention by owners when they're bankrupt and insolvent anyway.

Hopefully now they can at least plow the place over and rip down those rusty signs.

In response to the OP - that's a pretty vague statement to make about entire neighborhood based on one event last week. Ironically there was a shooting on Fullertown east of Clark last week as well. I wouldn't jump to make the same comments about Lincoln Park.

Of course I know Uptown has more issues in general, but as has been said over and over again - it's a REALLY quirky neighborhood and very specific areas with problems.

I agree Lookout kid, I've actually had LESS issues with bums and general crap living in Buena Park than I had in either Lakeview or Lincoln Park. Buena Park might be part of "uptown", but it's definitely a hidden gem as far as I'm concerned. Quiet, beautiful, diverse, lots of trees, lakefront, transportation, really quality housing stock, not much crime, stable, etc. I was actually kinda shocked when I moved up here.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 PM

226 posts, read 381,859 times
Default More specifically, Buena Park...

I just moved to Buena Park 2 weeks ago so I can talk about my experience thus far in Uptown. I've lived in Chicago for 6 years, previously in Lincoln Park, South Loop, and Gold Coast (spoiled, I know). I'm a 25 year old female.

I found Buena Park through apartment finders and chose it b/c of the cheap rent, historical architecture and proximity to the lake . It is my understanding that Buena Park only constitutes about 2 or 3 gorgeous, tree-lined blocks with some notable Deco architecture. However, one must consider that a couple of blocks can make a big difference in Uptown.

Honestly, this is the first neighborhood I've ever felt genuine discomfort being in. I've become as familiar with hobos and crazies as the next Chicagoan, but the ones in this neighborhood don't keep to themselves. My first day here I saw a woman followed and accosted by a crazy in broad daylight. I heard screams coming from the Hotel Chateau on my way to Whole Foods. I dodged a broken drug needle on the sidewalk. And was asked "Do you speak English? Come here!" by a dubious man supposedly having car trouble. I've seen at least a dozen wanderers that look absolutely crazy in the head. I haven't even ventured North of Montrose as I've heard it isn't wise. I feel I'm stuck having to walk past Hotel Chateau and other hotspots in order to make my way to Lakeview or Wrigleyville, where all the restaurants/shopping are. If I want to travel on the El I have to go to the 2nd closest stop, Sheridan, as apparently Wilson is a hellhole. Also, my local coffee shop and hair dresser were robbed a few weeks ago. Plus it's kind of lacking in quality restaurants.

My overall impression so far is that it's a mixed bag. I walk some blocks thinking 'This place is completely fine, how could I have doubted it?', then I'll walk another few blocks mentally preparing myself to be mugged. If you're really after cheap rent it's probably worth it and the neighborhood seems to be heading in the right direction but I absolutely would not walk alone here at night. I think the history of the neighborhood, the amazing architecture/housing and great rent rates are what appeal most to me about the area.

Last edited by Bardot; 06-10-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
..I feel I'm stuck having to walk past Hotel Chateau and other hotspots in order to make my way to Lakeview or Wrigleyville, where all the restaurants/shopping are....I have to go to the 2nd closest stop, Sheridan as apparently Wilson is a hellhole...
South of Irving Park is Lake View! Or East Lake View if you prefer. Some people even call the area around the Sheridan stop and the Hotel Chateau Wrigleyville! The common denominator in the crappy parts of Lake View and Uptown is they share the same Alderman or should I say Alderwoman.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
It is my understanding that Buena Park only constitutes about 2 or 3 gorgeous, tree-lined blocks with some notable Deco architecture.
Wrong again. Buena Park is the area from Irving Park Road north to Montrose, and from Graceland Cemetary east to the lakefront. Most of Buena Park is not sketchy, though Broadway tends to suck from Grace in Lake View on northward through the heart of Uptown. If you get to know the area, you'll figure out where the bums congregate and cause trouble. In addition to the U-Haul creeps, the liquor stores tend to attract an unsavory element along Broadway.

And Avengerfire correctly pointed out that the things you are complaining about in this post happened in Lake View! The Hotel Chateau and Gill Park Co-op block is far worse than anything in Buena Park, though it does sort of act as a barrier cutting us off from the rest of the Lake View amenities further south on Broadway and Halsted. Most people deal with it by walking on the east side of the street.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Yeah, Buena Park is a nice little oasis squeezed by the messy side of Uptown to the north, and the really annoying area in northern Lakeview. Tear down Hotel Chateau and Gill Coop, ditch two or three sketchy buildings on Cuyler (or however you spell it), and shoo off the guys buzzing around the Uhaul all the time - and you'd have a very quality area from Lincoln Park through Lakeview and up to the line in the sand at Montrose.

Even with that, it's not overly dangerous to the average citizen. More just really annoying. You can literally stand and point to the 3-5 individual buildings in that area that are causing fuss. It's certainly not a general theme of the neighborhood.

I'd say calm down and get to know the neighborhood. Avoid that one stretch of Broadway down in Lakeview and the whole area is fine until you get north of Montrose. I've never felt threatened in any way in Buena Park proper. It's a more diverse crowd, but that doesn't have to mean it's scary.

I actually love it for how it's so oddball. Better than when I was on Diversey/Sheffield for 4 years. All those damn hot 20 somethings working out and jogging every day, trying to make me look all fat and out of shape.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM

A single female friend of mine once lived on the corner of Broadway and Belle Plaine, right across from GHS foods. She hated living here. GHS foods is a drunken homeless hangout, and they tend to congregate on the corner there. Also, that bus stop at that intersection tends to attract crowds of weirdos. Just a bit south of there is the U-Haul, where as many as a dozen "movers" drink, use drugs, and hit on women. She had homeless people sleeping in her vestibule and ringing her buzzer at night. As I've mentioned several times on this site, Broadway can be highly problematic.

Another single friend of mine lived on Sheridan just north of Buena in a condo building for several years, and she has never had any issues. Sheridan does have re-hab center with many down-and-out adults hanging out in front of it (at the corner of Gordon Terrace), but they are usually just disabled people who want to strike up a conversation. Nothing to be afraid of.

The 800 block of Cuyler is a problem spot. There are three or four buildings owned by the same slumlord that have been in and out of housing court for years, and some mild gang activity. This is basically right next to the U-Haul as well.

And obviously, the Jewel at the convergence of Sheridan, Broadway, and Montrose is a major gathering spot for all of Uptown--so you can see just about anyone there. I've seen gorgeous women in cocktail dresses ready to go out on the town and yuppies in Land Rovers, as well as homeless people and thugs. But most of the people in that store are quite normal these days.

The eastern part of Buena Park is quite lovely. I live close to the lake, and have never had any problems in five years. Kenmore is also quite nice, and there are many parents with young children living on that block who meet at the Buena Circle playlot every day. There are two or three low-income buildings still on Kenmore, but I've never heard of a single incident involving any of them in five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago