Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times

Advertisements

How do you know? Can you provide scriptures to support your understanding of being in this elect group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
John 6: 28-65

"They said therefore unto him, What must we do, that we may work the works of God?
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

They said therefore unto him, What then doest thou for a sign, that we may see, and believe thee? what workest thou? Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, He gave them bread out of heaven to eat. Jesus therefore said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, It was not Moses that gave you the bread out of heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which cometh down out of heaven, and giveth life unto the world. They said therefore unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. Jesus said unto them. I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall not hunger, and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
But I said unto you, that ye have seen me, and yet believe not. All that which the Father giveth me shall come unto me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

For I am come down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the will of him that sent me, that of all that which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that every one that beholdeth the Son, and believeth on him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. The Jews therefore murmured concerning him, because he said, I am the bread which came down out of heaven.

And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how doth he now say, I am come down out of heaven? Jesus answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day.

It is written in the prophets, And they shall all be taught of God. Every one that hath heard from the Father, and hath learned, cometh unto me.
Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he that is from God, he hath seen the Father.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth hath eternal life. I am the bread of life.
Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread which cometh down out of heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. I am the living bread which came down out of heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: yea and the bread which I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.
The Jews therefore strove one with another, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Jesus therefore said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, ye have not life in yourselves. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath eternal life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father; so he that eateth me, he also shall live because of me. This is the bread which came down out of heaven: not as the fathers ate, and died; he that eateth this bread shall live for ever. These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum. Many therefore of his disciples, when the heard this, said, This is a hard saying; who can hear it? But Jesus knowing in himself that his disciples murmured at this, said unto them, Doth this cause you to stumble?
What then if ye should behold the Son of man ascending where he was before?
It is the spirit that giveth life; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I have spoken unto you are spirit, are are life.
But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who it was that should betray him.
And he said, For this cause have I said unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it be given unto him of the Father. "

Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Hilgi -

That pretty well settles it - all that the Father has given to Jesus shall come to him. And no one can come to Jesus except the Father that sent him draw them, and he (Jesus) will raise them up at the last day. That sounds very straight forward and clear. It has been a while since I read that. Thanks for posting it.

Heartsong

Old 07-05-2010, 11:17 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
No scriptures needed. He came and nabbed me. What more proof could I give?

Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
How do you know? Can you provide scriptures to support your understanding of being in this elect group?
If you are born of the lineage of Adam, then you are part of the elect. You're included!

"16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. 17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." Romans 5.

Blessings to you,
brian

Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
If one believes that he or she is descended from the 12 tribes as per Revelation 7:4-8...then maybe, just maybe...he or she is...

Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
If you are born of the lineage of Adam, then you are part of the elect. You're included!
You mean Seth.

and begat [a son] in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
If one believes that he or she is descended from the 12 tribes as per Revelation 7:4-8...then maybe, just maybe...he or she is...
That's horrible racism. Some may not recognize it as such, but that doesn't change it. God was never a racist! God proves who His chosen are by giving them the Holy Spirit. Cartoon Christianity is all over the media. If you care about the truth you'll learn to mostly look elsewhere.

You're just another human being. There's nothing special in that before God. The qualification for God's saving work has been accomplished by what He did in Jesus, not you. Because of that, and your faith, God will take up changing you by giving you His Spirit. He also gives His Spirit to those who obey Him.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
The elect were those who lived during the transition from old covenant to new covenant.

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, (1 Peter 1:1)

Jesus told the disciples that they would judge the twelve tribes. "
Matthew 19:28 And Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on His glorious throne, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

This was said to THEM... not us ... them.

The first of the harvest: You know that Stephanas and his household were the first of the harvest of believers in Greece, and they are spending their lives in service to God's people. I urge you, dear brothers and sisters,(1 Cor. 16:15)

The elect has absolutely nothing to do with modern day Christians!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

"16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. 17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." Romans 5.

Blessings to you,
brian
And were off...Predestination takes the lead and then...wait...UR just popped up beside him....where did that come from????...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity