Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:38 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times

Advertisements

...really? Not so!!

Satan wants us to think that if we think evil or lustful thoughts, that we have sinned already in our minds...but that is only the first step of temptation...and it comes from our "sinful nature."
Temptation is not a sin...but where we decide to take that temptation is an entirely whole new ballgame! We have a choice...at this point of temptation, to decide whether we are going to act according to what our sinful nature would desire us to do...or according to what our "Christ-like" nature would have us to do.
One can either choose to sin, or choose not to sin...and anyone that says it is impossible for you not to sin is a liar, and the truth is not in him...period.

IF you truly are a child of God and the Spirit of Christ dwells within you...THEN...all you have to do is choose not to sin...it's as easy as that...for the believer who walks in faith in Jesus Christ...they will choose life.

However...IF you are truly not a born-again child of God, filled with the Spirit of Christ...THEN...you will not choose not to sin...it's as clear cut as that...for the one who walks not in faith, in Jesus Christ...they will choose death.

By the fruit of your words and deeds...they will know of what type of tree you are.

I chose life...again!!!...

...21 years ago I confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior...21 years ago...and it was prophetically declared to me on that day, that if I would walk in the way of the Lord, and follow Him, that He would bless my daughter...21 years ago...

21 years of:
ridicule...rejection...failure...despair...pain... trauma...
darkness...depression...testing...testing...testin g...trials...
trials...trials...temptations, one right after the other...choices...mostly bad...very few right...tears...more tears...and even more tears...false teachings...confusion...searching...seeking for truth...21 years...

Last night my beautiful daughter Dawn and I sat here in front of my desk, while my precious little baby grand-daughter slept in the crib just 5 yards away. Here we are...her and I, at midnight, discussing God...Jesus...the Holy Spirit...the Truth of God's Word...keeping the commandments...honoring the Sabbath...the two pastors in my life; Benny Hinn, for 13 years...and my present pastor, John, at my present place of worship, and their false teachings...her life...her purpose...her value...her importance...her responsibilities, not only for herself, but for our beautiful little baby, Teagan...and her future...but most importantly...building her and Teagan's future upon a solid foundation, beginning NOW...with her, (Dawn) showing her child by example, Who Jesus IS!...

...she got it! She received it...we cried...the Holy Spirit was heavy upon both of us. We could barely talk...tears just flowed freely...

Focusing on one area of our "multi-faceted" conversation: our "sinful nature"..."temptation"...having only 2 options; one being choosing to not sin, and the other being choosing to sin...and how it all boils down to obeying the ten commandments...ALL TEN OF THEM.
This revelation of truth hit her just like it hit me when I first heard it...the confusion went away for her...she said so!! All these years, 21 years, her and I both have been so confused...never able to interlock the pieces of the puzzle, and come together in peace, with hope, like we've never known before!.........fastforward.......

...to this morning. Dawn and I loaded up the baby in the car, with all her luggage, and we proceeded to the drug store to pick up some last minute items she needed for her plane trip back home to Minnesota. From there we would go to the gas station, and gas up for our trip to Orlando to the airport.
Before we left the house, my mother asked her if she needed any money, and Dawn said no, that she had enough to check in her luggage, and that was all she needed. She then stated that she thought she had brought more money than that, but she must have been in a hurry and left Minnesota without grabbing all her cash. So, my mother asked her how much she needed and Dawn said, "Maybe $20.00...would that be o.k?"...and mom told me to go by the bank, on our way to the airport, and get $40.00 for her instead. So we did just that...we went to the bank first, withdrew $40.00, I gave it to her, then we went to the drug store. As Dawn opened her wallet to put the $40.00 cash inside, she found the $100.00 bill, that she had placed in a little side pocket...and so delighted she had found it!...<<<

...Here is where the test began...for both of us...

She knew I didn't have a dime...so she handed me one of the $20's of the $40.00 mom gave to her, I smiled and said, "O great! Now I have some gas money!" And she placed the other $20.00 back into her wallet, and went inside the drug store, while I remained in the car with the baby in the cool air-conditioning.
The Holy Spirit said to me..."You have to give it back to your mother; the $20.00 in your hands, and the $20.00 that Dawn has in her wallet. What kind of example are you going to be for Dawn after your beautiful conversation last night concerning making choices to sin or not to sin...?" WHOAH! AWWWWWWWWWKK!! Instant conviction...INSTANT! I answered him...I said, "Forgive me Father, for even thinking for one second that I could keep this $20.00...I will not keep it, and I will inform Dawn about what you just showed me...thank you Holy Spirit...for your precious love for me and her."
When Dawn got back into the car, I immediately told her what the Holy Spirit said, and explained how God was testing us to see where our hearts were, and reminding her of what we discussed last night...and she was so convicted, she couldn't get her half of the $40.00 out of her wallet fast enough, and handed it to me...we cried, we praised God for His Holy Spirit within us...showing us our error in our thoughts, and giving us a chance to make it right!
Remember the song I gave to you all called "The Revelation Song," the one where I told you of how I was singing to it and the Holy Spirit put you all on my heart to pray for you!...and so I shared it with you? Well, as soon as we made the right decision, this song came on the radio, and Dawn and I sang it to the top of our lungs in the car! We considered it a "gift" from God to us, telling us how happy He is with us!...The 45 minute trip to the airport was so amazing...Dawn and I KNEW we were filled with the Holy Spirit...we felt so good knowing we made the right choice...and she told me that I was an amazing mother, and she thanked God for me! Then she got right on the cell phone to call my mother to tell her all that had just occurred...my heart was and still is so blessed, and so full of the love of God...JESUS!!! PRECIOUS JESUS!!!

Evil, lustful thoughts are not the sin...making the choice to go through with the thought, and turn it into an active choice, is the sin. Thank God our thoughts do not bring death to us...we were given a chance to make a choice...and we made the right choice...we chose LIFE!!!...what a joy!!!

In the love of Christ!!!
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:43 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,034,427 times
The spirit of the man is incapable of not sinning.

Paul

Old 08-21-2009, 04:22 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The spirit of the man is incapable of not sinning.

Paul
You're right; the spirit of man is weak and incapable of living free from sin; that's why we must walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh so we can live free from sin.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (Romans 12:1)

Living free from sin is our reasonable service!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
The flesh will never change - it has to die. We can try to dress it up, but it - like everything else carnal - is at best the filthy rags women dispose of. (Isa 64:6).

Verna, I appreciate your zeal for the Lord, but realize that your desire to live for Him is by Him - and the righteousness we have is in Christ. The life within us that does not sin is His, and the life that does sin is our own. (1 John).

The practical use of the cross in our lives is to burn out the old man, and replace it with His life; God uses our failures to cause us to cry out for more of Him. More of Him, less of me.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
Amen scgraham...AMEN!

God Bless,
Verna.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:32 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The flesh will never change - it has to die. We can try to dress it up, but it - like everything else carnal - is at best the filthy rags women dispose of. (Isa 64:6).

Verna, I appreciate your zeal for the Lord, but realize that your desire to live for Him is by Him - and the righteousness we have is in Christ. The life within us that does not sin is His, and the life that does sin is our own. (1 John).

The practical use of the cross in our lives is to burn out the old man, and replace it with His life; God uses our failures to cause us to cry out for more of Him. More of Him, less of me.

I agree ...

Old 08-21-2009, 05:45 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,791,241 times
Quote:
Temptation is not a sin...
I understand what you are saying. However, based on the words of Jesus, I disagree with you.

Sin is not just an action.

Sin originates in the heart, when we do not take our thought life captive. The Lord said that if one is angry at his brother without cause, he is in danger of judgement. He said, if one looks at another woman with lust in his heart, he has committed adultery.

We are on dangerous ground when we think that it's okay to have sinful thoughts, as long as we do not act upon them. Thoughts are expressed in actions. It starts with one's thought life.

We must have control over our thought life, and our attitudes. An action is just the end result, the outward manifestation of what is in one's heart..................that's why the Lord said the things He did.

If folks think it's okay to have evil, jealous, vengeful thoughts without acting on them, you are sadly mistaken. What you think is what you will do.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I understand what you are saying. However, based on the words of Jesus, I disagree with you.

Sin is not just an action.

Sin originates in the heart, when we do not take our thought life captive. The Lord said that if one is angry at his brother without cause, he is in danger of judgement. He said, if one looks at another woman with lust in his heart, he has committed adultery.

We are on dangerous ground when we think that it's okay to have sinful thoughts, as long as we do not act upon them. Thoughts are expressed in actions. It starts with one's thought life.

We must have control over our thought life, and our attitudes. An action is just the end result, the outward manifestation of what is in one's heart..................that's why the Lord said the things He did.

If folks think it's okay to have evil, jealous, vengeful thoughts without acting on them, you are sadly mistaken. What you think is what you will do.
Matt 23:25-26
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

It is our inward sins that are greater than out outward sins. That is why love covers a multitude of sins(1 Peter 4:8).

Luke 6:37-38
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

I would that all Christians truely understood the meaning of this verse ...

Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,034,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You're right; the spirit of man is weak and incapable of living free from sin; that's why we must walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh so we can live free from sin.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (Romans 12:1)

Living free from sin is our reasonable service!
That is why it is only Christ in us that can overcome our sins. We fail all the time but He is the only one that prevails.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity