Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The flesh will never change - it has to die. We can try to dress it up, but it - like everything else carnal - is at best the filthy rags women dispose of. (Isa 64:6).
"Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings. For the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool: but my righteousness shall be for ever, and my salvation from generation to generation." (Isaiah 51:7-8)
"Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it: that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keeping his hand from doing any evil."(Isaiah 56:2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer
Verna, I appreciate your zeal for the Lord, but realize that your desire to live for Him is by Him - and the righteousness we have is in Christ.
"The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back." "I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting." "For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed." "He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me." "Behold, the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up."(Isaiah 50:5-9)
Quote:
The life within us that does not sin is His, and the life that does sin is our own. (1 John).
"O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:"(Isaiah 48:18)
"...There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked."(Isaiah 48:22)

Quote:
The practical use of the cross in our lives is to burn out the old man, and replace it with His life; God uses our failures to cause us to cry out for more of Him. More of Him, less of me.
"For thus saith the LORD unto the eunichs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant: Even them I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer..."(Isaiah 56:4-7)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 06:01 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
All of your scripture is pre-Cross. When sacrifice wasn't enough to cleanse us, there came a New and Living way - the blood of Jesus. Few of us have strived unto blood against sin, but the communion with Him (not the observance, but the real deal) makes His path to the cross real in us.

I think we agree, though we're looking at the same thing from two different angles. The struggle against sin is actually doing a deep work of grace in us, which leads to more of His life...

...which does not sin. Our goal is to be one with Him, as He is one with the Father. We have to lose our carnal nature, or else this is all done in the flesh.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:24 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Verna the glaring difference between the OT and NT is "one we were supposed to keep" the other "keeps us".What the law could not do , God did.

James said
10For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Verna do you realize and understand if you offend in one point of the commandment you are guilty of offending in all the commandments. There is absolutely no way you can have real peace in your heart with this judgement hanging over your head.
It's legalisic, will bring unnecessary condemnation on yourself and it will bring condemnation out of your own heart towards those who do not keep the commandments, this is the nature of fallen man under the law.

Last edited by pcamps; 08-22-2009 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Verna the glaring difference between the OT and NT is "one we were supposed to keep" the other "keeps us".What the law could not do , God did.
James said

10For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Verna do you realize and understand if you offend in one point of the commandment you are guilty of offending in all the commandments. There is absolutely know way you can have real peace in your heart with this judgement hanging over your head.
It's legalisic, will bring unnecessary condemnation on yourself and it will bring condemnation out of your own heart towards those who do not keep the commandments, this is the nature of fallen man under the law.
Exactly. Good post. All things must point to Christ.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
So, my mother asked her how much she needed and Dawn said, "Maybe $20.00...would that be o.k?"...and mom told me to go by the bank, on our way to the airport, and get $40.00 for her instead. ......

The Holy Spirit said to me..."You have to give it back to your mother; the $20.00 in your hands, and the $20.00 that Dawn has in her wallet..
I read this a few times....

I just think you missed the boat with that call....

"give it back"????

Was the money a loan?
Was it given with the understanding that she needed to pay it back?
Not from the story I read.

What it looks like is that the girl needed $20 bucks and asked her mom for it.
The Mom, (being a good mom) directed you to get the girl $40 bucks.

$40?
This is twice what the girl had asked for, and shows us that the mom just wanted to make sure the girl had enough to be safe.

This is an outward sign of a true mom who worries about her children and wants to give good gifts and to provide for the well being of the grandchild.

The money is moot, the amount of money is moot.
It is the gift that is important, the act of giving .

But the fact that it is all about cash tends to screw up how we look at the real important matters here.

Im going to change a few things in the story to help make my point more easy to understand.

My STORY:
Lets say a grand mommy asks her grandson what he wants for his birthday?
And the child thinks for a moment and asks for a "Super red Power board"

Now the grand mother has no idea what a "Super red power board" is, but goes to the store and gets one , wraps it up, and brings it to the birthday party of her grandson.

When it is time to open the gifts, the boy open his grand mother's gift, and sees that while it is a Super red Power Board, it is one that he already has...

Does the Holy Spirit really tell the child to give the gift back to his grand mother?

Or does the Holy Spirit tell the child to just thank his grand mother for the gift?
END OF STORY...

If I give money to my adult child so as to see them safely to the airport, IT'S NOT A LOAN!...
I's a gift!

If $20 bucks is all that is truly needed and asked for, and yet I give you $40 it shows that Im just making sure....
Im making sure you spend the money and not try to hang on to it...

The first $20 is to get you there, the second $20 is to be spent making the trip more enjoyable...
Spend it on a book, a hot dog, buy some candy, some gum, some smokes, I dont care...

The second $20 is padding for the first $20...
I dont want it back, I want it spent!

Thats the point of the second $20.

Handing it back to me?.....well, that is goofy,
its being concerned with the wrong things...

I gave the gift because I wanted to give the gift...
Its not a loan.
You dont help me by returning my gift to me.

Actually, handing me back my gift of love is a bit insulting...makes my act of love seem pointless..

And...and, and, and...
What if.......?
What if you hand me back the gift I gave to your sister, only then to find out that your sister got off the plane and needed $140 to fix her car right away?

Think of how bad I would feel that my gift was so wasted!

"You foolish girls!" is what you would hear from me!"What good is this $40 to me?"

Last edited by alanMolstad; 08-22-2009 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Christ came, walked among us, felt our sorrows, our pain our temptations, saw our struggle in keeping the legalisms of the law which was a heavy curtain we could not lift or see through to our God and our Creator. It made His love for us almost impossible to feel, to bask in because He was so far from us..

Christ changed it by ripping the curtain of law so that Gods pure unconditional love, grace and mercy was upon us all and freely given, because He dwells within us now..

He is our teacher, our counselor, our comfort and our hope, our feeling of guilt when we sin..Our forgiveness when our flesh gives way to the sin we struggle to overcome.. All is freely given, all is available without heavy burdens, all is the result of the "work" on the cross..

I stand by my belief that it is impossible not to slip up in this world of sin and do an act or say a word that hurts someone else..

Thank you God for your grace and mercy that is freely given with no strings..

Old 08-22-2009, 07:51 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Congratulations on your righteousness, Verna....and for your being able to prove yourself good enough to deserve God's goodness.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
I still have to go with what I wrote...

Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I stand by my belief that it is impossible not to slip up in this world of sin and do an act or say a word that hurts someone else..
My hope (though it will take 1000+ years) is that He will complete the work in me that He started.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Christ came, walked among us, felt our sorrows, our pain our temptations, saw our struggle in keeping the legalisms of the law which was a heavy curtain we could not lift or see through to our God and our Creator. It made His love for us almost impossible to feel, to bask in because He was so far from us..

Christ changed it by ripping the curtain of law so that Gods pure unconditional love, grace and mercy was upon us all and freely given, because He dwells within us now..

He is our teacher, our counselor, our comfort and our hope, our feeling of guilt when we sin..Our forgiveness when our flesh gives way to the sin we struggle to overcome.. All is freely given, all is available without heavy burdens, all is the result of the "work" on the cross..

Thank you God for your grace and mercy that is freely given with no strings..
Well said, Miss Blue. Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity