Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafenstein View Post
however, if you need the nutrients and can't afford better meat, or you can't get to better meat, or if it's just going to go bad anyway, then it's ok.
I agree with most of your post. I just wanted to add that most people can get the protein they need from beans (lentils, black beans, navy beans, kidney beans, etc.); which are normally a lot cheaper than meat and are widely available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
The Bible isn't clear about anything. Well, it is I guess. It's the hundreds of different churches and individual Christian's fault that they all interpret things differently...

Everyone thinks the Bible is clear about the side of issues they're on.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Blessing food does not take away the evil or torture inflicted upon the animal while it lived and when it was killed.
Factory farms are an abomination.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with most of your post. I just wanted to add that most people can get the protein they need from beans (lentils, black beans, navy beans, kidney beans, etc.); which are normally a lot cheaper than meat and are widely available.

That may be true...however...do you have any idea what beans do to me? Let's discuss this for just a minute. Oh wait...perhaps not...that idea STINKS!

Bud

Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
That may be true...however...do you have any idea what beans do to me? Let's discuss this for just a minute. Oh wait...perhaps not...that idea STINKS!

Bud
Yup! Bud being true to form

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times

YouTube - Meet your Meat

Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Default "God's law in the beginning"

Primitive people in the past...regarded as either barbarians or savages...have had more compassion for the animals they ate. They only hunted when hungry and when they succeeded...thanked the "spirit" for the kill...before they consumed and used every part...so as not to waste the life sacrificed for their benefit.

Now...who are the savages???

Genesis 1:25 And GOD made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and GOD saw that it was good.
26 And GOD said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

29 And GOD said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed,; to you it shall be for meat.

God's Covenant with Noah. HE changed the law after the flood...why?

Genesis 9:1-5 And GOD blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth.
2 and the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

imho - GOD seemed to pertain to humankind as the flesh not to be eaten in verse 4 because of the verses that followed...??? (just fodder for thought)

5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the LIFE OF MAN.

Blessings...

Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 PM

185 posts, read 399,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafenstein View Post
proverbs 12:10 says that a good person is kind to their animals while a mean person is cruel.

most factory farms are cruel to their animals. buying such meat and dairy supports cruelty. that is why it is wrong to BUY said meat. however, if you need the nutrients and can't afford better meat, or you can't get to better meat, or if it's just going to go bad anyway, then it's ok. but if those circumstances don't apply, then the only kind of meat or dairy that it's ok to buy is when it came from animals raised sustainably.

romans 14:15 says that if you are hurting others by the foods you eat, you are not guided by love, and not to let your appetite destroy someone Christ died for.

this seems like a reference to all the environmental problems from the meat industry. some of those problems are:

1. A 2006 united nations report called the meat industry "one of the top two or three most significant contributers to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from global to local."
2. The meat industry uses half of all water in the USA.
3. Feeding a meat eater requires 10 times more farmland than it does to feed a vegetarian.
4. About 10 billion land animals in this country alone face all types of torture and death... EACH YEAR. Compare that to about 50 million abortions in the past 40 years, and you tell me which one is more important.
5. The livestock industry has contributed 18 percent of all greenhouse gasses.
6. Decaying meat lines our intestines and makes it more difficult to properly absorb nutrients.
7. Meat is acidifying to our bodies (being too acidic causes most of the damage associated with aging, and causes cancer)

The fact their you're comparing a human being to an animal is wrong in itself. You say that 10 billion animals face torture and death (probably not true) is worse then 50 million abortions??? That's 50 million PEOPLE, potential Christians, human beings...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
The fact their you're comparing a human being to an animal is wrong in itself. You say that 10 billion animals face torture and death (probably not true) is worse then 50 million abortions??? That's 50 million PEOPLE, potential Christians, human beings...
I don't know if you are a believer in eternal hell or not. If so - then rejoice that 50 million babies did not enter the lottery to end up in eternal torment ("few there be who find it"). If you are a Christian Universalist (like me) then perhaps we ought to consider what is done to conscious creatures who experience pain (much as we do) AND protest the slaughter of unborn babies simultaneously.

What do you think?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,730 times
I recall reading there are also a large number of centenarians on the island of Dominica.I don't know what religion they are,but I would venture to say that genetics and diet have something to do with it...I'm guessing they eat a lot of fish and homegrown items.they also lack all the typical fast-food places,I believe.and probably junk food items are lacking as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity