Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 PM

454 posts, read 499,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
One of the things I really like about the OT is how God's nature is brought out. Who is God? What is He about? What is He like?

The NT is basically about Jesus, which is good. But in the OT you really discover what God is about. I think it is time for me to spend more time in the OT. To rediscover who God is!
Yeah, true bro. Like Jesus is God and when you know him you know God and all that jazz, but for study I reckon the OT is awesome. Having said that the NT is awesome + 1, but I know exactly what you're saying.

There's nothing like stumbling across some Scripture and seeing a prophecy or something like what you speak of.
Check this out, I reckon this is Prophecy of Christ and the end times:

Ecclesiastes 4:13-16
[13] Better is a poor and a wise child than an old and foolish king, who will no more be admonished.
[14] For out of prison he cometh to reign; whereas also he that is born in his kingdom becometh poor.
[15] I considered all the living which walk under the sun, with the second child that shall stand up in his stead.
[16] There is no end of all the people, even of all that have been before them: they also that come after shall not rejoice in him. Surely this also is vanity and vexation of spirit.

It's like 'm showing off but it's all good. Whatdya reckon? The second child being Jesus of course! As is the poor wise child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM

454 posts, read 499,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Have you considered that Jesus is the express image of God the Father? If you know Jesus you know who God is.

John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
And check this out. This is what I love, when the OT and the NT hook up:

Hebrews 1:3
The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

These are both taken from NIV. It makes the connection more obvious in this particular case.
Ezekiel 10:4
Then the glory of the LORD rose from above the cherubim and moved to the threshold of the temple. The cloud filled the temple, and the court was full of the radiance of the glory of the LORD.

You see that. That's awesome bro. Awesome. I love it when a plan comes together! Praise Jesu Christ. Hey, straight up, proclaim Scripture all the time hey. Christians gotta stir themselves up and get high on the Spirit.

Isaiah 64:7
And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,202,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
You see that. That's awesome bro. Awesome. I love it when a plan comes together! Praise Jesu Christ.
(Off topic)

A-Team was a great show, and the movie wasn't too shabby either! Go Alpha Team!

(And the Alpha Omega team, too, of course.)

Old 08-06-2010, 03:47 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Have you considered that Jesus is the express image of God the Father? If you know Jesus you know who God is.

John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
Amen! The OT is the wrong place to look for the true nature of God . . . it remains under the veil of ignorance.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,427,170 times
Quote:
One of the things I really like about the OT is how God's nature is brought out. Who is God? What is He about? What is He like?

The NT is basically about Jesus, which is good. But in the OT you really discover what God is about. I think it is time for me to spend more time in the OT. To rediscover who God is!
Totally agree with you. Some people like to disregard to OT. Our attitude toward the Bible is a pretty sure indication of our attitude toward Christ. Nahum teaches us that God rules over all the earth, even those who don't acknowledge Him, He is all powerful and no one can thwart His plans.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Totally agree with you. Some people like to disregard to OT. Our attitude toward the Bible is a pretty sure indication of our attitude toward Christ. Nahum teaches us that God rules over all the earth, even those who don't acknowledge Him, He is all powerful and no one can thwart His plans.

So then, you believe it was never a part of Gods plan to save everyone? Or otherwise, it was his plan that most should be eternally damned?

Yet the Scriptures tell us that he will have all to be saved. And that he is the savior of all people. So either Gods plan to have all saved is in fact thwarted, or he never really had any intention on saving everyone.

Then i hear some say that Gods will that everyone be saved is thwarted by mans freewill to reject salvation. That the power of satan to deceive is greater than the power of God to save, as according to their doctrine most people will be damned/lost for ever.

Gods plan for the ages which was spoken of by the prophets of old and by Christ and the apostles after is the restitution of everything. Yet the traditions of men and their doctrine of Everlasting evil teaches that most things will never be restored and made new but will be eternally bound to sin and death.

Selah ...

Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:

Jesus is God. I don't want to start a debate on this subject in this thread, as i know many would disagree here, but Jesus told the apostles that when we see him we see the father. he also said that everything he did and said was the will of the father. That is why Israel could not receive Christ as their messiah, because they were blinded by the veil of the old testament, and Jesus words and actions seemed to be heresy to them. The fact that jeus taught mercy and love and reproached the religious elite is and example of everything that the father is.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,427,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
So then, you believe it was never a part of Gods plan to save everyone? Or otherwise, it was his plan that most should be eternally damned?

Yet the Scriptures tell us that he will have all to be saved. And that he is the savior of all people. So either Gods plan to have all saved is in fact thwarted, or he never really had any intention on saving everyone.

Then i hear some say that Gods will that everyone be saved is thwarted by mans freewill to reject salvation. That the power of satan to deceive is greater than the power of God to save, as according to their doctrine most people will be damned/lost for ever.

Gods plan for the ages which was spoken of by the prophets of old and by Christ and the apostles after is the restitution of everything. Yet the traditions of men and their doctrine of Everlasting evil teaches that most things will never be restored and made new but will be eternally bound to sin and death.

Selah ...
Yes He is the Savior of the word, but no Scriptures does not tell us all will be saved. Satan has deceived many about this.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,008,271 times
Quote:
1 An oracle concerning Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elko****e.

2 The LORD is a jealous and avenging God;
the LORD takes vengeance and is filled with wrath.
The LORD takes vengeance on his foes
and maintains his wrath against his enemies.

3 The LORD is slow to anger and great in power;
the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished.
His way is in the whirlwind and the storm,
and clouds are the dust of his feet.
4 He rebukes the sea and dries it up;
he makes all the rivers run dry.
Bashan and Carmel wither
and the blossoms of Lebanon fade.
5 The mountains quake before him
and the hills melt away.
The earth trembles at his presence,
the world and all who live in it.
6 Who can withstand his indignation?
Who can endure his fierce anger?
His wrath is poured out like fire;
the rocks are shattered before him
7 The LORD is good,
a refuge in times of trouble.
He cares for those who trust in him, 8 but with an overwhelming flood
he will make an end of Nineveh ;
he will pursue his foes into darkness.

Comments?

My comment would be that this is a perfect example of anthropomorphism by an ancient tribal people.God is jealous?Indignant?Filled with wrath?The God of the Universe is jealous of men?Please.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,585,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Jesus is God. I don't want to start a debate on this subject in this thread, as i know many would disagree here, but Jesus told the apostles that when we see him we see the father. he also said that everything he did and said was the will of the father. That is why Israel could not receive Christ as their messiah, because they were blinded by the veil of the old testament, and Jesus words and actions seemed to be heresy to them. The fact that jeus taught mercy and love and reproached the religious elite is and example of everything that the father is.
Ditto...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity