Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two denominations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,458,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two denominations?
You can google it.
Southern Baptist began as a racist split from the Baptists, not as a group born in revival of the Holy Spirit like the Methodist Church began under Wesley [the Methodist is now less than they began, and the SBA is much more than they began, in general, in Christ].
The organization apologized a couple decades or less, ago.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,984,767 times
American Baptist is a liberal church and they do not follow the Biblical teachings of the Bible.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 PM

I'm getting such objective answers. I should have known.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Well, I know this isn't going to be very helpful but my husband was raised Southern Baptist. He says that he thinks Southern Baptist is probably a lot more conservative than American Baptist just because Southern Baptist is about as conservative as you can get!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, I know this isn't going to be very helpful but my husband was raised Southern Baptist. He says that he thinks Southern Baptist is probably a lot more conservative than American Baptist just because Southern Baptist is about as conservative as you can get!
I know they are super, super conservative. The reason I asked is that I attended a conference a couple of weeks ago. It was not sponsored by my the LDS Church, but was primarily intended for LDS people. One of the speakers, LDS himself, and a public opinion pollster, talked about a nationwide public opinion poll done recently in which 1000 people were asked questions about the LDS Church. He said the vast many of them make no distinction (or else a very fuzzy distinction) between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the more than 150 splinter groups that have grown out of it, some of which still practice polygamy, etc. He said, "They do the same thing to us that we do to other religions. How many of you make a distinction between, say, a Southern Baptist and an American Baptist?" I realized that I don't. To me, a Baptist is a Baptist. So, I figured I'd try to find out what the differences are.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
I know they are super, super conservative. The reason I asked is that I attended a conference a couple of weeks ago. It was not sponsored by my the LDS Church, but was primarily intended for LDS people. One of the speakers, LDS himself, and a public opinion pollster, talked about a nationwide public opinion poll done recently in which 1000 people were asked questions about the LDS Church. He said the vast many of them make no distinction (or else a very fuzzy distinction) between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the more than 150 splinter groups that have grown out of it, some of which still practice polygamy, etc. He said, "They do the same thing to us that we do to other religions. How many of you make a distinction between, say, a Southern Baptist and an American Baptist?" I realized that I don't. To me, a Baptist is a Baptist. So, I figured I'd try to find out what the differences are.
Well, all I can say is that I don't seem to be very popular among some of my husband's Southern Baptist friends! I think they were hoping my husband would find a nice Southern Baptist girl that would bring him back to the church. They sure didn't count on him falling for a Jewpanese from Los Angeles who lives in New York City! I don't know any American Baptists. If I meet any - I'll let you know if they are different!
Oh - and all my mormon friends seem to like me just fine, just the way I am!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:27 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,458,435 times
Quote:
I'm getting such objective answers. I should have known.
what did you want?
Here's SBC Southern Baptist Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The American Baptist is very liberal. The SBC is very conservative.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh - and all my mormon friends seem to like me just fine, just the way I am!
Well, duh... What's not to like?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
While the southern Baptists are (or try to appear to be) very conservative, they are not as bound up as the Independent Baptists who think that Southern Baptists are big time sinners. I know because I've been a former member of both.

One experience I had with the southern Baptist church. I wanted to hold a fund-raising Valentine dinner at my home for needy children in Romania. The pastor and his wife attended. He observed that we had "Disney films" on our shelf and said something about the fact that the Southern Baptists were banning Disney because of them allowing Gays to have a special day at Disney World. This was all a long time ago, but needless to say, my husband was not impressed by this Pastor's ways. There are other kinds of Baptists as well (one that is semi-pentecostal I believe, called 'hard shell' ) or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity