Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
Well, numbers may not mean much to some, but I'm posting this in response to the notion that some people have that our heart is not important to God, that it is "wicked" and therefore untrustable. Why would Jesus "knock at the door of our hearts if we aren't supposed to listen to it?
I believe that the heart is VERY important to God, and that His Seed is to be found there.

How many times in the Bible (KJV) are the following words found?

mind: 132.
tongue: 160.
mouth: 415.
eye: 578.
heart: 884.

Other translations may produce other numbers.

Blessings!
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Jer. 17:9 reads, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

But we read so many places where God is to be found in our hearts!
(ie
-Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
-For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
-A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
-So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.
-And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
-But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

So why is Christendom telling the people to NOT look for God in the ONE place where He IS???

I don't get it..

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Careful now. You're treading on the precious doctrines of total depravity and original sin. If you yank those out of the pile, the whole deck of cards might come tumbling down.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Careful now. You're treading on the precious doctrines of total depravity and original sin. If you yank those out of the pile, the whole deck of cards might come tumbling down.
Then let's let them fall! Maybe that way we can GROW.

I know the doctrines of fundamentalism well. They say that they alone have the truth. But when real, HEART-felt questions are asked, the fundamentalists can't answer.

I have nothing against fundamentalists as people. It's not like you can spot them a mile away.
They are normal people, held under control by religious dogmas that make the truth into a lie, and the lie into a truth. Good becomes evil, and evil becomes good.

The questions must be faced; Jesus never ran away from the questions; he had answers because he had the Spirit.

Peter also got the Spirit on Pentecost, and got the revelation that God was in Christ, reconciling the WORLD to Himself. That means, not calling that which is clean, impure.

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Jer. 17:9 reads, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

(ie
-A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
-So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.
-But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

So why is Christendom telling the people to NOT look for God in the ONE place where He IS???

I don't get it..

Blessings,
brian
Luke 6:45. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart.

Great post, ahigherway! I think "when did we see you" fits in along these lines.

The contradictary messages that our teachers give us are bound to make us basket cases if we dwell on them for too long. "You are a filthy human being who deserves to be set on fire for eternity." BUT! God loves you! Oh, and anything that you do that is good is filthy, too. Stinking menstrual rags. BUT! You will be rewarded according to your works and God looks at the condition of your heart!

I think our Father looks at our works like a parent who is happy with their kids when they do a good job or as a Father who sees their child trying to imitate their parent.

Last edited by herefornow; 09-14-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 04:12 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

(ie

I don't get it..

Blessings,
brian
The HEART is the CORE of our being...the mind to reason...and the TONGUE, the two edge sword.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Luke 6:45. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart.

Great post, ahigherway! I think "when did we see you" fits in along these lines.

The contradictary messages that our teachers give us are bound to make us basket cases if we dwell on them for too long. "You are a filthy human being who deserves to be set on fire for eternity." BUT! God loves you! Oh, and anything that you do that is good is filthy, too. Stinking menstrual rags. BUT! You will be rewarded according to your works and God looks at the condition of your heart!

I think our Father looks at our works like a parent who is happy with their kids when they do a good job or as a Father who sees their child trying to imitate their parent.
Thanks, herefornow!
God is not affected by our sin, nor by our righteousness. We are called to good works, and to listen to Him in our hearts.
Yet Christendom tells us to NOT listen to our hearts, even when we believe!
The greatest element we have to give is Love. Faith is secondary.
I believe that is where judgement will take place. Did we love? Did we follow Christ within?

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
"I will give them a new heart"
- God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity