Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,728,295 times

Advertisements

Belief can be based on reason or faith. Belief based on reason is based on evidence. Belief based on faith is belief not necessarily based on evidence.

As Martin Gardner pointed out, if it is not strongly contradicted by science or logical reasons, then you have a right to make a leap of faith if it provides sufficient satisfaction.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 09-18-2010 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:56 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,159,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Belief can be based on reason or faith. Belief based on reason is based on evidence. Belief based on faith is belief not necessarily based on evidence.

As Martin Gardner pointed out, if it is not strongly contradicted by science or logical reasons, then you have a right to make a leap of faith if it provides sufficient satisfaction.
RESPONSE:

WHAT????????

My being "satisfied" is not the driving force in my personal life of faith.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,376,648 times
Quote:

I actually don't completely disagree with this idea. For Reason, however, I would think of it as "that which is reasonable," not simply logic. Some people believe that God is pure Reason.
I say this because I can imagine that God doesn't want His children to remain in the dark, which is basically what Christendom wants you to do.
I believe in God because of spiritual experience, not simply because of doctrine. God is alive, and if you don't feel and hear Him at all, then ask Him to show you. And He will!

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-18-2010, 11:05 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,728,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
RESPONSE:

WHAT????????

My being "satisfied" is not the driving force in my personal life of faith.
RESPONSE:

Then is that faith based on evidence, or not necessarily based on evidence?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
God is alive, and if you don't feel and hear Him at all, then ask Him to show you. And He will!
And for all those who've asked and received no answer, I think it is reasonable to assume that either God does not exist or isn't concerned with whether or not those people are aware of it.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:59 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,040,259 times
Rationalism is rejected By Lord Jesus...... In a prophecy in August 1943 to a Prophet of the Lord,... Maria Valtorta...``... Jesus said ``See, Soul, of Mine. There are a few thing that I condemn as sternly as rationalism, which rapes and deconsecrate and kills Faith, Faith with a captial F to mean true Faith, absolute and royal. I condemn rationalism as an assassin hired out against Me: it is the very thing that kills Me in people heart and that has prepared and is preparing really sad times for the church and for the world......It is the seed of which many, many other poisonous doctrines have come up.... It has been the traitor that has open the doors to the enemy.... In fact it has opened the doors to satan who has never ruled as much as since rationalism began to rule....But it is said ``When the Son of Man comes he will not find Faith in the hearts,.... Consequently rationalism is doing its work and I will do mine..... Happy are those who, as they close the door to sin and on the passions, can close the doors of their secret temples in the face of science that denies;... happy are those when they live alone with the Only One who is all until the end...``Truly I tell you that I will press on My Heart the wretch which has committed a human crime, and has repented of it, as long as he has always admitted that I can do everything, but I will have a Judge`s face for those, on the grounds of arrrogantly despotic human science, deny the supernatural in the manifestation which the Father would like Me to give.``........

Old 09-19-2010, 02:12 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,376,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And for all those who've asked and received no answer, I think it is reasonable to assume that either God does not exist or isn't concerned with whether or not those people are aware of it.
You're absolutely right, Pleroo.. It's He who decides to show Himself, and we can only ask and wait..! The hope is that it's sooner and not later..!

After all, we're all in this together, and all in need..
Thanks for the correction!

Blessings!
brian

Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,842,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You received an answer just not like you want but how God wanted to respond.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:48 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,870,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
God is alive, and if you don't feel and hear Him at all, then ask Him to show you. And He will!
The empty tomb should be sufficient.

John 20:29Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

People that are already believers but seek after a sign are liken unto an adulterous generation. Some that chooses this path will be disappointed while others will lose themselves in signs and wonders, giving themselves over to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils.

Keeping your eyes on Jesus is never a truer call than it was back in the early church days.

The problem nowadays is when people take the word of man over the word of God. Because of the word of man, people need relative present proof of God.

But history cries the greatest proof of all and that is the empty tomb because if the tomb was not empty, if there was no resurrection, then christianity would never have been born at all.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM

5,507 posts, read 7,352,200 times
Quote:

This is a fascinating topic.

If one were to explore augustine, aquinas, and even recent speaches of John Paul or Benedict, they would find alot to chew on.

I for one, do not find faith and reason mutually exclusive. In fact, they are synergistic forces in my salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity