U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,905 posts, read 8,479,538 times
Reputation: 11600

Advertisements

Really?

I mean I read about gnashing of teeth, being cast into the outer darkness, have body and soul destroyed in hell, weeping....

So except for Revelation 14:9-11, I see no mention of God tortureing anyone........

9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name."

The folk mention here are the beast and those who worshiped the beast
***************
I think all this wailing and gnashing of teeth has to do with being cut off from God and spending eternity in the "outer darkness". That would totally suck and make one do this for eternity:

With periods of: and:

Discuss

Of course there is that Lake O' Fire thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,682,496 times
Reputation: 639
Here ya go.....


Quote:
Re 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM
 
7,859 posts, read 6,664,436 times
Reputation: 1371
Many people don`t believe in Eternal Torment, but here is God Judgement on those who engage in the mark of the beast are be judged in Revelation 14: 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 06:21 AM
 
Location: God's Kingdom !!
122 posts, read 148,957 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Really?

I mean I read about gnashing of teeth, being cast into the outer darkness, have body and soul destroyed in hell, weeping....

So except for Revelation 14:9-11, I see no mention of God tortureing anyone........

9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name."

The folk mention here are the beast and those who worshiped the beast
***************
I think all this wailing and gnashing of teeth has to do with being cut off from God and spending eternity in the "outer darkness". That would totally suck and make one do this for eternity:

With periods of: and:

Discuss

Of course there is that Lake O' Fire thing


JMO..... and some thoughts on the subject you have presented as I read your post !!!

The torment and hell will be they can not enjoy or practice their sin, lawlessness no more.......
1 John 3:4
Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.

Just think about cockroaches that roam at night and when the light is turned on they scatter to get somewhere back into the dark....... the light vexes, torments them.
This will be that of those who love the darkness.... there will be no place to hide back into the darkness, and it will cause weeping and gnashing of teeth !!! Because everything (life) will be exposed by the Light of Christ.
John 3:19
They are judged by this fact: The Light has come into the world, but they did not want light. They wanted darkness, because they were doing evil things.

The Light of Jesus Christ exposes the darkness (sin),
Job 12:22
"He reveals mysteries from the darkness and brings the deep darkness into light.......

So for all ppl there will be no more darkness and for those who reject Christ who love the darkness, the Light of Christ will expose it and cause the weeping, gnashing of teeth.... an anger, rage, throwing up their fist at God because their evilness, lawlessness and love of it can no longer be.....it will be a unendurable agony.




If we allow the scripture interpret itself, "gnashing of teeth" expresses viciousness, anger, rage or hateful words with the intent to slander, insult, blasphemy, or destroy.
  • Gnash- Psalm 112:10, Lam 2:16
  • Gnasheth- Job 16:9, Psalm 37:12, Mark 9:18
  • Gnashed- Psalm 35:16, Acts 7:54
  • Gnashing- Matthew 8:12; 13:42; 13:50; 22:13 ; 24:51; 25:30, Luke 13:28.
God's Kingdom will bring an end and destroy the spirit of darkness, lawlessness, sin and it will no longer exist..... and those who love the darkness will/can no longer participate in the darkness of their evil deeds because all will be completely the Light of Christ.

The world has always co-exist with the darkness of sin, lawlessness and the light of God's presence, righteousness !!
His presence in the world has always protected His ppl.....
2 Thessalonians 2:7
For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.

( I believe this is the Holy Spirit. I have heard it called the Church, yet when God always refered to the Church in scripture He called it her, the bride..... ).

Never has the world experienced life when there was no longer darkness or visa versa...... light !
But there will come a day that there will no longer be the work of the lawlessness, sin (darkness) and righteousness (light of God's kingdom) co-existing together because the Light of Christ will expose, destroy the darkness forever and His Light will reign for all eternity. All that are not written in the Book of Life will not enjoy the Light for all eternity, but be cast out into the outer darkness, and destroyed in the LOF......
Psalm 112:10
The wicked will see it and be vexed, He will gnash his teeth and melt away; The desire of the wicked will perish.

Matthew 10:28
"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 13:12
The night is almost gone, and the day is near therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
(Salvation through Jesus Christ is our armor)

God Bless !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,628,309 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLadybugs! View Post
JMO..... and some thoughts on the subject you have presented as I read your post !!!

The torment and hell will be they can not enjoy or practice their sin, lawlessness no more.......
1 John 3:4
Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.

Just think about cockroaches that roam at night and when the light is turned on they scatter to get somewhere back into the dark....... the light vexes, torments them.
This will be that of those who love the darkness.... there will be no place to hide back into the darkness, and it will cause weeping and gnashing of teeth !!! Because everything (life) will be exposed by the Light of Christ.
John 3:19
They are judged by this fact: The Light has come into the world, but they did not want light. They wanted darkness, because they were doing evil things.

The Light of Jesus Christ exposes the darkness (sin),
Job 12:22
"He reveals mysteries from the darkness and brings the deep darkness into light.......

So for all ppl there will be no more darkness and for those who reject Christ who love the darkness, the Light of Christ will expose it and cause the weeping, gnashing of teeth.... an anger, rage, throwing up their fist at God because their evilness, lawlessness and love of it can no longer be.....it will be a unendurable agony.




If we allow the scripture interpret itself, "gnashing of teeth" expresses viciousness, anger, rage or hateful words with the intent to slander, insult, blasphemy, or destroy.
  • Gnash- Psalm 112:10, Lam 2:16
  • Gnasheth- Job 16:9, Psalm 37:12, Mark 9:18
  • Gnashed- Psalm 35:16, Acts 7:54
  • Gnashing- Matthew 8:12; 13:42; 13:50; 22:13 ; 24:51; 25:30, Luke 13:28.
God's Kingdom will bring an end and destroy the spirit of darkness, lawlessness, sin and it will no longer exist..... and those who love the darkness will/can no longer participate in the darkness of their evil deeds because all will be completely the Light of Christ.

The world has always co-exist with the darkness of sin, lawlessness and the light of God's presence, righteousness !!
His presence in the world has always protected His ppl.....
2 Thessalonians 2:7
For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.

( I believe this is the Holy Spirit. I have heard it called the Church, yet when God always refered to the Church in scripture He called it her, the bride..... ).

Never has the world experienced life when there was no longer darkness or visa versa...... light !
But there will come a day that there will no longer be the work of the lawlessness, sin (darkness) and righteousness (light of God's kingdom) co-existing together because the Light of Christ will expose, destroy the darkness forever and His Light will reign for all eternity. All that are not written in the Book of Life will not enjoy the Light for all eternity, but be cast out into the outer darkness, and destroyed in the LOF......
Psalm 112:10
The wicked will see it and be vexed, He will gnash his teeth and melt away; The desire of the wicked will perish.

Matthew 10:28
"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 13:12
The night is almost gone, and the day is near therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
(Salvation through Jesus Christ is our armor)

God Bless !!!
I have come to believe that the phrase "gnashing of teeth" means to "throw one under the bus". It means to accuse someone else for a predicament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 PM
 
5,408 posts, read 4,659,683 times
Reputation: 1113
The rich man was clearly in the torment of the flame in hell. It was not symbolic, as he wanted his tongue cooled with water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,568,904 times
Reputation: 1579
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLadybugs! View Post
JMO..... and some thoughts on the subject you have presented as I read your post !!!

The torment and hell will be they can not enjoy or practice their sin, lawlessness no more.......
1 John 3:4
Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.

Just think about cockroaches that roam at night and when the light is turned on they scatter to get somewhere back into the dark....... the light vexes, torments them.
This will be that of those who love the darkness.... there will be no place to hide back into the darkness, and it will cause weeping and gnashing of teeth !!! Because everything (life) will be exposed by the Light of Christ.
John 3:19
They are judged by this fact: The Light has come into the world, but they did not want light. They wanted darkness, because they were doing evil things.

The Light of Jesus Christ exposes the darkness (sin),
Job 12:22
"He reveals mysteries from the darkness and brings the deep darkness into light.......

So for all ppl there will be no more darkness and for those who reject Christ who love the darkness, the Light of Christ will expose it and cause the weeping, gnashing of teeth.... an anger, rage, throwing up their fist at God because their evilness, lawlessness and love of it can no longer be.....it will be a unendurable agony.




If we allow the scripture interpret itself, "gnashing of teeth" expresses viciousness, anger, rage or hateful words with the intent to slander, insult, blasphemy, or destroy.
  • Gnash- Psalm 112:10, Lam 2:16
  • Gnasheth- Job 16:9, Psalm 37:12, Mark 9:18
  • Gnashed- Psalm 35:16, Acts 7:54
  • Gnashing- Matthew 8:12; 13:42; 13:50; 22:13 ; 24:51; 25:30, Luke 13:28.
God's Kingdom will bring an end and destroy the spirit of darkness, lawlessness, sin and it will no longer exist..... and those who love the darkness will/can no longer participate in the darkness of their evil deeds because all will be completely the Light of Christ.

The world has always co-exist with the darkness of sin, lawlessness and the light of God's presence, righteousness !!
His presence in the world has always protected His ppl.....
2 Thessalonians 2:7
For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.

( I believe this is the Holy Spirit. I have heard it called the Church, yet when God always refered to the Church in scripture He called it her, the bride..... ).

Never has the world experienced life when there was no longer darkness or visa versa...... light !
But there will come a day that there will no longer be the work of the lawlessness, sin (darkness) and righteousness (light of God's kingdom) co-existing together because the Light of Christ will expose, destroy the darkness forever and His Light will reign for all eternity. All that are not written in the Book of Life will not enjoy the Light for all eternity, but be cast out into the outer darkness, and destroyed in the LOF......
Psalm 112:10
The wicked will see it and be vexed, He will gnash his teeth and melt away; The desire of the wicked will perish.

Matthew 10:28
"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 13:12
The night is almost gone, and the day is near therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
(Salvation through Jesus Christ is our armor)

God Bless !!!
This makes some sense to me. However, I think that there is a righteous and a wicked one inside every person which God is separating - and that the darkness is passing away. I believe the seed of Christ is in every person and that each person will vary in glory as the scripture says. Since man is made in the image of God, I don't believe any person is completely evil or completely rejected by God. It is difficult for us 'being evil' (as the scripture puts it) to imagine the complete absence of sin or its desire. I believe the sin nature is going to be destroyed (done away with) which to me requires a reversal of the curse. Who shall dwell with the devouring fire? The answer to that is in the scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,628,309 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The rich man was clearly in the torment of the flame in hell. It was not symbolic, as he wanted his tongue cooled with water.
Actually the tongue being cooled by water is symbolic. After all if you were in flames would you really be having a conversation and asking for just your tongue to have a finger worth of water?

The Rich man was the High Priest, Lazarus was the same Lazarus that was raised from the dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM
 
5,408 posts, read 4,659,683 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Actually the tongue being cooled by water is symbolic. After all if you were in flames would you really be having a conversation and asking for just your tongue to have a finger worth of water?
The rich man in hell was the same selfish person as when he lived in the flesh on earth; he wanted Lazarus to leave the comfort of Heaven to come and serve him cooled water in hell. How selfish. And, he only seemed concerned about his five brothers, yet there was a whole earth full of people who needed to be warned about hell. This passage gives us an indication that people who die in their sins will most likely have the same traits in hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,628,309 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The rich man in hell was the same selfish person as when he lived in the flesh on earth; he wanted Lazarus to leave the comfort of Heaven to come and serve him cooled water in hell. How selfish. And, he only seemed concerned about his five brothers, yet there was a whole earth full of people who needed to be warned about hell. This passage gives us an indication that people who die in their sins will most likely have the same traits in hell.
The rich man was in Hades (hell). This is not the same place that is considered the "firey" abode that is translated from Gehenna (Hell).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top