Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,056,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, I quoted from the Bible, not the quran.

Is there anything you won't say to smear Christians? Your anti-Christian rants would be better received at an atheist board.

She didn't smear Christianity. She simply stated facts. Many Christians scare there kids in order to make them Christian. Being afraid of Hell and of questioning is horrible. The way many Christians indoctrinate their children is child abuse.

That is the truth not smearing your religion.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,208,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I was involved in a fellowship (bordering on cultish) mid to late 80's and very early 90's, we were very heavily into the ministry of William Branham,fused with a ministry that was so focused on what we are in Adam instead of what we are in Christ, we were a right miserable bunch under the oppression of what we were in Adam , but we also believed we were the only fellowship around with the truth .
When the Lord called me out of this fellowship , i was basically told God is going to get me , suprisingly i wasn't threatened with ET .
When i left i began to understand who i was in Christ and the condemnation i was under due to the focus on the Adamic nature was lifted.
But what i would like to say is though we bordered on being a cult ,the Lord used all of this in my life , and to this day i have the utmost respect for the brother who was considered the overseer of that fellowship.

Thanks for talking about it, pcamps, and, yes, good can come out of evil (and confusion).

Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
And, what does Christianity tell it's adherents? God will torture them for eternity if they try and leave. Many are told this year after year from the time they are children.
I guess you may have a point, but I'm a Christian and I was never once, in all the time I was growing up, told that God was going to torture anyone for eternity. I think that some Christian groups are guilty of doing this, and so I suppose it could be argued that this makes them a cult. When I said that cults intimidate people and make them afraid to leave the group, I was actually thinking in terms of ramifications that would be felt in this life as opposed to the afterlife. I was thinking more along the lines of, "You need us. We're your only friends. If you leave, you'll have no one," than along the lines of, "You'll burn in Hell if you leave." I think that when people choose to leave Christianity, it's more often a matter of them finally deciding that it's stupid to believe in a God who would be such a monster. When they leave, they aren't afraid of what's going to happen to them. But when a person who is in a cult tries to break away, the fear of what's going to happen in the immediate future can be paralyzing.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,801,872 times
Quote:
If Christianity as a whole actually followed the teachings of Jesus, I wouldn't have so much ammunition, Finn. I'm not anti-christ, I'm anti-Christendom. I really enjoy reading the Bible a lot more these days, I tell ya.
I don't know what motivates anyone to smear anyone for any reason, but I guess that is just what you feel compelled to do.

Are you saying you do it because in your opinion they do not follow teachings of Jesus??????? That's your excuse for attacking them? Is that what you are saying? Do you really think Jesus taught people to behave like you are behaving? I'll tell you what: HE DID NOT.

Maybe one day when you are reading the Bible, you will run into what Jesus said about smearing people like this. No, Christians are not cultists or child abusers, and Christianity is not like Islam, and no, the God Christians believe in is not a sick and twisted torturer. And no, I have never heard anyone say God will torture them if they leave.

These endless anti-Christian rant-threads are a sad site on a Christian board. On an atheist board you see writings like this all the time, but to see it here is just sad.

I have nothing further to say.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,402,959 times
Quote:
I don't know what motivates anyone to smear anyone for any reason, but I guess that is just what you feel compelled to do.

You say you do it because in your opinion they do not follow teachings of Jesus??????? That's your excuse for attacking them? Are you kidding me? Do you really think Jesus taught people to behave like you are behaving? I'll tell you what: HE DID NOT.

Maybe one day when you are reading the Bible, you will run into what Jesus said about smearing people like this. No, Christians are not cultists or child abusers, and Christianity is not like Islam, and no, the God Christians believe in is not a sick and twisted torturer. And no, I have never heard anyone say God will torture them if they leave.

These endless anti-Christian rant-threads are a sad site on a Christian board. On an atheist board you see writings like this all the time, but to see it here is just sad.

I do not see it has anti christian , but anti fundamental christianity . The system of Islam has many similarities to fundamental christianity in my view too , especially regarding its belief and attitude towards those it considers unbelieving infidels and the fact it thinks it has the monoply on what truth is.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I guess you may have a point, but I'm a Christian and I was never once, in all the time I was growing up, told that God was going to torture anyone for eternity. I think that some Christian groups are guilty of doing this, and so I suppose it could be argued that this makes them a cult. When I said that cults intimidate people and make them afraid to leave the group, I was actually thinking in terms of ramifications that would be felt in this life as opposed to the afterlife. I was thinking more along the lines of, "You need us. We're your only friends. If you leave, you'll have no one," than along the lines of, "You'll burn in Hell if you leave." I think that when people choose to leave Christianity, it's more often a matter of them finally deciding that it's stupid to believe in a God who would be such a monster. When they leave, they aren't afraid of what's going to happen to them. But when a person who is in a cult tries to break away, the fear of what's going to happen in the immediate future can be paralyzing.

Let me give you just a tiny glimpse into traditional Christianity, Katzpur, and, remember, things are better now than they were during the dark ages and the supposed reformation. Here are just a couple of links out of thousands that teach exactly what traditional Christianity believes and has taught for 2000 years. In fact, there are some people on these forums who use and teach from one of these links below. Just take a good long look at these links, and tracts and pictures and put yourself in the shoes of children and teens around this country and world who just wanted one time, long ago, for God to love them and their family.

The Truth About Hell

Show Chick tracts on your site. It's free!

Is Hell Eternal? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

The Lake of Fire or Heaven: Salvation, Eternal Life

The Eternal Punishment of the Lost | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

This is a pic from a hell house. * OFFOFFOFF film review HELL HOUSE documentary movie about fundamentalist Christian haunted house in Texas by George Ratliff

One thing that the filmmakers have done to take their subject seriously is to focus on a family of five whose father helps run the haunted house while his daughter lands the coveted role of "abortion girl." (That's her above with fake blood slathered lovingly over her inner thighs.)

Now, we have Christianity and their hell houses and their Jesus camps with all their terror and fear and idiocies and illogical nonsense and corruption, and you have a child who is sensitive and who loves nature and loves the birds and trees and sunshine and who thinks that Jesus loves all the little children, and then they are taken to this crap or they have to listen to it in these sermons. What do you think happens?? They will stop thinking for themselves. That's what happens. When you are told from the time you are a small child that the God who loves you will set you on fire for eternity if you leave tradition and it's way of thinking, what do you think happens? You shut down, you take drugs, you drink, you try to be perfect but then your preachers say that you are saved by grace, so you go into a tailspin wondering if you are really saved and you wonder if you really understand and you wonder if you are backslidden, and then your brilliant teachers and preachers tell you that you just need to rest and don't worry too much about the good works part, but then you read in the Bible about how you have to have good works and run the race until the end or you will be eternally lost, and on and on and on and on................................................ ........

At the top of my list for the most twisted doctrine of all time on this planet comes from the Calvinists, and there are some on this board, who teach that God elected only a few for salvation and the rest get to go to hell, because that is what they deserve. They might have been sexually abused and/or tormented by their earthly parents, but any good they do in life is nothing but filthy menstrual rags, because they don't believe in a good god or because they can't understand what the hell is going on, and religion tells them their heavenly parent is going to set them on fire. They just haven't been elected. Too bad, so sad. In fact, this was the dominant teaching in America until recently. Manifest destiny and all. You have the people who have never heard of the Good News (good news my butt) out there in North Korea and in China or wherever who are going to be eternally tormented because that's just the way God rolls. He is holy and perfect and psychopathic, apparently.

You have children or adults who have just lost someone to suicide or whatever, and they have all these twisted horrible images running through their heads, and they hear the screams coming from their loved ones in their dreams, and you just have to wonder why more people haven't ended up completely insane.

Here is a very popular tract in evangelical groups from Chick, which I got to read when I was little. You can click on it and then turn the pages.
This Was Your Life
And, here is the complete list of twisted tracts: Complete list of Chick cartoon gospel tracts

We have the famous Jonathon Edwards sermon, "Sinners in the Hands Of an Angry God" which scared so many people to death that they committed suicide because the fear was so overwhelming they went crazy. And I'm here to tell you that I understand why. I was close to it myself not too long ago. I could go on and on, and I could get a lot more graphic, but I won't right now. I'm here to say that this planet is a very sick place, and the people who run the religions here are very sick people. Sick, sick, sick.

I hate organized religion. I hate it with an unbridled passion, and I'm trying to be fair, and I'm trying to be loving, but when children around the world are brainwashed and confused and tormented by sick men and women around the world, my claws are going to come out, and that's not usually pretty.

I'll just leave you with one more pic from the annual hell-house productions that many churches put on every Halloween. And this place dares to call itself "City of Hope Church.":ma d:

And we wonder why what's-her-face drowned all of her children........

Last edited by herefornow; 10-27-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Good.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,106,093 times
Quote:
Let me give you just a tiny glimpse into traditional Christianity, Katzpur, and, remember, things are better now than they were during the dark ages and the supposed reformation. Here are just a couple of links out of thousands that teach exactly what traditional Christianity believes and has taught for 2000 years. In fact, there are some people on these forums who use and teach from one of these links below. Just take a good long look at these links, and tracts and pictures and put yourself in the shoes of children and teens around this country and world who just wanted one time, long ago, for God to love them and their family.
I know that kind of stuff goes on, and it truly sickens me beyond belief. But you see, I find myself in a kind of a dilemma. On one hand, I call myself a Christian and am offended when people tell me I'm not. The implication is supposed to be that I don't love or worship Jesus Christ when, in fact, He is the center of my faith. On the other hand, if people acknowledge me as a Christian and then say, "Christianity is a cult," my beliefs about Jesus Christ are being misreprented since a belief in the kind of God who would torture anyone for eternity goes counter to everything my religion teaches. I feel that I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm in a Catch-22, so to speak. I guess what I'm saying is that I know this kind of stuff happens, but it is not characteristic of my denomination and I know it's not characteristic of all Christian denominations.

Quote:
At the top of my list for the most twisted doctrine of all time on this planet comes from the Calvinists, and there are some on this board, who teach that God elected only a few for salvation and the rest get to go to hell, because that is what they deserve. They might have been sexually abused and/or tormented by their earthly parents, but any good they do in life is nothing but filthy menstrual rags, because they don't believe in a good god or because they can't understand what the hell is going on, and religion tells them their heavenly parent is going to set them on fire. They just haven't been elected. Too bad, so sad. In fact, this was the dominant teaching in America until recently. Manifest destiny and all. You have the people who have never heard of the Good News (good news my butt) out there in North Korea and in China or wherever who are going to be eternally tormented because that's just the way God rolls. He is holy and perfect and psychopathic, apparently.
I agree. I totally oppose this point of view. I do not believe that anyone is pre-destined to either Heaven or Hell. Our freedom to choose for ourselves what to believe, what to have faith in, and how to live is one of the most precious gifts I believe God has given us. Furthermore, I don't believe He is going to send anybody to Hell, particularly not people who have had the misfortune of having been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place to hear of Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice. The message of Mormonism is totally opposite to the message of Calvinism in that we truly believe that God is going to do everything in His power -- except to exert force upon us -- to guide each of us back to His presence. I'm not just talking about people who live their lives as Christians. I'm talking about all of His children. Every last one of them.

Quote:
I hate organized religion. I hate it with an unbridled passion, and I'm trying to be fair, and I'm trying to be loving, but when children around the world are brainwashed and confused and tormented by sick men and women around the world, my claws are going to come out, and that's not usually pretty.
That's a shame, in my opinion. It sounds to me like you've decided to throw out the baby with the bath water. I only say that because the only "organized religion" I've ever been a part of teaches its children that they are born pure and clean, not wicked and depraved. They are taught that they are literally the spirit children of a Father in Heaven who loves them deeply and knows each and every one of them individually, by name. LDS children are taught, starting at the age of about three that they are part of a family that can be together as a family unit forever, that their Father in Heaven cares about their happiness and wants to have a close relationship with them. They are taught that He listens to them when they pray and answers their prayers. They are taught that more than anything in the world, He wants them to return to Him someday. They are never, never, never taught that there is the remotest possibility that they, their families or their friends might end up burning in Hell. I'm sorry that you hate organized religion, but I hope you can see why I don't.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
And no, I have never heard anyone say God will torture them if they leave.
Please see post #36. And don't just scan through it. Pretend you are 8, 10, 11, 13, or 14 years old and you are really struggling with the meaning of life and you are wondering why so many terrible things happen to people around you and around the globe, and you really want to know the truth and you trust that your preachers, parents, teachers, and friends have this truth, and they point you directly to the Bible with these words in it: lake of fire~~hell~~"away from me, I never knew you"..........

And then you look at the pope and friends, and you look at all the connections between all these religious people and their political friends around the world and you realize just how much damage they have caused and how much corruption and idiocy has been released into the atmosphere, and you see the pain on those decrepit mass of faces around this planet pleading for hope and direction when there is none.........

At times, unbridled.

Last edited by herefornow; 10-27-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 09:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,633,854 times
CULT = any group who believes different than the majority.

FANATIC = anyone who loves Jesus more than you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity