Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:36 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times

Advertisements

Well I suppose that 'I Am' would be an english translation,therefore 'I Am' wouldn't be Gods true name either......unless he spoke to moses in english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Why do the Abraham religions not use God’s true name?

Ex 3; 13And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
14And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
15And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

God is given many names by Christians and Muslims and the other Abrahamic faiths.

Yet the Bible says that I Am or I AM THAT I AM is the true and eternal name of God.
Could it be that the Church or Mosque fathers do not want people to recognize the Gnostic implications of the God within being recognized by the rank and file?

Is that a form of deception?

Is God’s true name, I Am and why are we not using it?

===============================

Further, while speaking of names and titles.

"I, even I am the LORD and beside me there is no Saviour." Is.43:11

If God is insisting that no one but himself is ever to be called “saviour,” then He and His inspired Bible writers should never have called anyone else by that exclusive title.

Why then is Jesus, who is not the Lord, called saviour?
He should not be unless you buy into that ridiculous trinity doctrine.

Regards
DL
One of the most important names is that of the En Sof אין סוף ("Infinite" or "Endless"), who is above the Sefirot.
The forty-two-lettered name contains the combined names אהיה יהוה אדוני הויה, that when spelled in letters it contains 42 letters. The equivalent in value of YHWH (spelled הא יוד הא וו = 45) is the forty-five-lettered name.
The seventy-two-lettered name is based from three verses in Exodus (14:19-21) beginning with "Vayyissa", "Vayyabo" and "Vayyet" respectively. Each of the verses contains 72 letters, and when combined they form 72 names, known collectively as the Shemhamphorasch.
The kabbalistic book Sefer Yetzirah explains that the creation of the world was achieved by the manipulation of the sacred letters that form the names of God. - Form further research on this go here : Names of God in Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I have seen Jewish people refer to God as "Hashem", or "The Name". (Jewish readers, if I am incorrect, please correct me.)

Old 10-31-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
<< Jehovah can refer to any one of the Person's of the trinity. >

That is not true- the name Jehovah only refers to the One True God Himself - who is no part of any trinity. Psalm 83:18
Psa 83:18 And they know that Thou--(Thy name is Jehovah--by Thyself,) Art the Most High over all the earth!

[RIGHT]Psa 83:18 (83:19) וידעוH3045 כיH3588 אתהH859 שׁמךH8034 יהוהH3068 לבדךH905 עליוןH5945 עלH5921 כלH3605 הארץ׃H776

Psa 83:18 (83:19) וידעו כי־אתה שׁמך יהוה לבדך עליון על־כל־הארץ׃
[/RIGHT]
Psa 83:18 (82:19) καὶ γνώτωσαν ὅτι ὄνομά σοι κύριος, σὺ μόνος ὕψιστος ἐπὶ πᾶσαν τὴν γῆν.

It might be that David is simply saying that The only Name that God has is Jehovah, as differentiated from the other lifeless idolatrous gods...Because in the Genesis account the word Elohim, El being one of the Names for God, is in the Hebrew plural, so David may have very well been talking about the trinity...The true name of God is forbidden to be used outside the temple in Jerusalem...and is only to be used by Priests and is only permitted to be pronouced once, on Yom Kippur day...Any time else or anything else would be a sin for it would be taking the Name of The Lord in vain hence the commandment which is part of the Ten...People should do a deeper research into this before they attempt to argue a point and there is a lot of information to be gleened from Judaism, for it is our heritage of Christianity for the first converts were Jews and they still observed the Jewish ways, but realized that this would not save them for they realized that it was only through the Messiah that Salvation was obtained however, as i said, they still observed the Jewish practices but not for earning their righteousness...

Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well I suppose that 'I Am' would be an english translation,therefore 'I Am' wouldn't be Gods true name either......unless he spoke to moses in english.
The only True Name (hashem) is in Hebrew, acomposition of 216 letters compiled from 72 Names...Some call it the tetragrammaton and others, i've read, say that the tetragrammaton is a four hebrew letter name...I am still attempting to sift through that information to ferret out the Truth...

Old 10-31-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have seen Jewish people refer to God as "Hashem", or "The Name". (Jewish readers, if I am incorrect, please correct me.)
You are correct...hashem is Hebrew for The Name...

Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,106,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Jewish people believe that God's true name should not be said when one is not doing something holy such as praying.
Another issue that it is not clear what the real pronunciation is of God's real name as in Hebrew all letters are consonants and the vowels which are lines and dots under the letters are missing when God's name is written.
Yes. It is a hedge against idol worship I think.

Perhaps this is why they are brighter than most theists who, when they become literalists, seem to throw logic and reason out the window and just have blind faith within their idol worshiping.

Regards
DL

Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus never denied being God even once. Luke 18:19 was not a denial of His deity. He in fact indicated that He was God. But He didn't make it so clear that He never would have been crucified, because He Had to go to the cross. Had He proven beyond doubt that He was God, the crucifixcion never would have happened.

It's not that God's true name is being ignored. God is just simply usually referred to as God. God usually takes in all three Persons of the trinity. The name Elohim which is plural is translated as God. The name Jehovah would stress His Oneness, while Elohim stresses His plurality of Persons within the Godhead. I generally refer to God the Father as 'Father'.

The trinity is revealed in both the Old and the New Testaments. As it happens, I will soon be doing a thread showing the trinity from the Old Testament.

Are you a Jehovah's witness?
No. I do not believe in the fantasy magical absentee Gods.

Good luck with showing the absurdity of the trinity concept.
They could not explain it well in the beginning and still cannot do so.
That is why Constantine had to impose that silly notion.

Divinity was imposed on Jesus by a man. LOL.
A shame to associate a good man with a genocidal murdering God.

Regards
DL

Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I "believe" the names that the Creator gave were according to the covenant that he was effecting at the time...
To Abraham, his name was El Shaddai (God Almighty...Gen. 17:1) when he spoke of multitude of nations and to Moses, YHWH (key) when he was about to lead them to the promised land. (Exodus 6:3)
I AM THAT I AM is the culmination of all that he is.

And these were the "only" two instances where God "himself" revealed his titles.

imho
Well, I think that all that was written in scripture was written by men and that they named God whatever they wanted. in the case of Moses, his writings are known to have been written by at least three other people and I think they named God in a way that would inspire the people of that myth.

instead of the slave population and mind set, they wanted to free their minds and if you can imagine a crowd cheering on I AM then you will sense the empowerment of the Gnostic God within.

Regards
DL

Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
You need to get saved and know the saviour Lord Jesus Christ In Luke 1: 31-33 The Lord God promised us his new saviour.......`` And behold thou shall conceive in thy womb and bring forth a son and shall call his name JESUS... He shall be great and shall be called the Son of the Highest and the Lord God shall give the throne of his father David , And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever and his kingdom there shall be no end``........
Thanks for the useless preaching and recognize that the right thing to do is for a son to bury the father and not the other way around as your immoral cowardly God did. He should have died, not his son.
Follow your cowardly immoral God.
If you spent less time in useless preaching and more in thinking, you would not follow such a despicable ass hole.

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity