Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
A faith and works person. Refreshing.
I would like to see a thread about this topic. I would begin one but I don't think I could do it justice as I'm using a cell phone with a virtual keyboard. I don't have internet in the house. Working from the cell phone is very tedious. Anyway, if I were to start a thread, it would be something titled, Obedient faith vs works or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,930 times
As a Catholic I hear the word Baptist mention it brings negative thoughts to my mind such as anti Catholic, KKK, fire/brimstone etc.
Having said that I do get a negative vibe from all fundies be they Baptist, Catholic or Muslim

Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
As a Catholic I hear the word Baptist mention it brings negative thoughts to my mind such as anti Catholic, KKK, fire/brimstone etc.
Having said that I do get a negative vibe from all fundies be they Baptist, Catholic or Muslim
I don't think its that way in the norhern part of the country. I don't know of any churches whether they be catholic or protestant that are like that around here. Personally I get the negative vibes from some of the screaming televangelists.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
At least I don't hear of the televangelists, Muslims, and Baptists use the name of god to sexually abuse young boys.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
At least I don't hear of the televangelists, Muslims, and Baptists use the name of god to sexually abuse young boys.
What is that supposed to mean?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
StopBaptistPredators.org

Sexual Abuse of Children by Protestant Ministers (http://www.reformation.com/index.html - broken link)

Southern Baptists Confront Sex Abuse Scandal

Sex abuse lawsuit filed against Baptist Church Bishop - National Political Spin | Examiner.com

If you google Baptist sex abuse you will get over a half million hits

Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
StopBaptistPredators.org

Sexual Abuse of Children by Protestant Ministers (http://www.reformation.com/index.html - broken link)

Southern Baptists Confront Sex Abuse Scandal

Sex abuse lawsuit filed against Baptist Church Bishop - National Political Spin | Examiner.com

If you google Baptist sex abuse you will get over a half million hits
Thanks, I didn't know about all of that. It is usually another Christian denomination that you hear about being sued because their leaders commit sexual abuse.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I don't think its that way in the norhern part of the country. I don't know of any churches whether they be catholic or protestant that are like that around here. Personally I get the negative vibes from some of the screaming televangelists.
Having grown up in the northeast I would tend to agree with you in general.
Northeast is a melting pot for all faiths and cultures, people in this area tend to be more tolerant of others along with the fact Catholics I believe make up the majority while in some southern states they make up only 2 or 3 percent of the population.
But even in the northeast there exist religious bigots, just not as many as other parts of the country.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't know about all of that. It is usually another Christian denomination that you hear about being sued because their leaders commit sexual abuse.
The Catholic Church will always be in the spotlight for the better or worst because of it's size, structure and the fact it is so much part of world history , just think of all those old black and white movies featuring nuns and priests, even one of my favorite TV series right now "V" features a Catholic priest as one of the main characters.
Plus they keep better records of everything so there will always be a paper trail while with other denominations it is easy for a preacher to pack up in the middle of the night and set up elsewhere without anyone knowing his past.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
It's happening in all religions. I don't think any religion is immune to pedophilia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity