Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Something to think on:
You cannot choose to NOT be a sinner.

Finn said this above: 'I cannot choose to flap my wings and fly to work in the morning. After all, I do not have wings.'

I think that is a good analogy. Finn is saying you do not have the capacity to fly, so you cannot choose to fly. Consider this:
I cannot choose to save myself. After all, I do not have the capacity to save myself - only Jesus does.

Furthermore, the corollary is:
I cannot choose to NOT save myself. Salvation is not in my hands at all.
You missed something very important when you quoted me. I continued by saying "It is possible however to pray and ask Christ to come into your heart."

Everyone can pray and ask Christ to save them, and Christ promised to save those who pray for Him to do it.

So, no noone can save themselves, and no one made such claim, but there is something people can do out of their free will and that is pray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Is there a scripture that instructs this action?
Yes, Romans 10:13 "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You missed something very important when you quoted me. I continued by saying "It is possible however to pray and ask Christ to come into your heart."
I think you must have missed it in my post? Go read it again...

Old 11-24-2010, 01:37 PM

895 posts, read 475,811 times
Quote:
Yes, Romans 10:13 "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
Quote:
It is possible however to pray and ask Christ to come into your heart.

No where in that verse are there words about asking Jesus to come into your heart.

Is there another verse that says to "ask Christ to come into your heart" ???

Old 11-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
No where in that verse are there words about asking Jesus to come into your heart.

Is there another verse that says to "ask Christ to come into your heart" ???
If you want to replace the word "ask" with "call" then be my guest.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:

Everyone can pray and ask Christ to save them, and Christ promised to save those who pray for Him to do it.

So, no noone can save themselves, and no one made such claim, but there is something people can do out of their free will and that is pray.
Really Finn? Is that really scriptural for someone to ask Christ to come into their heart? Where exactly is that in the Bible?

There is no verse in all the Bible that even by the wildest stretch of the imagination remotely has one asking Christ to come into their heart. That is not of faith, Finn.

I agree with you that no one can save themselves.

I don't agree with you though that man can pray out of their "free will." Where did you read that in the Bible?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Really Finn? Is that really scriptural for someone to ask Christ to come into their heart? Where exactly is that in the Bible?
Sigh...in Romans 10:13

Praying to Christ for salvation is an act opening your heart to Him and showing Him you believe in Him, and when you believe in Him, He will save you. That is His promise.

You never heard that before?

Old 11-24-2010, 04:45 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Althoug the term "asking Jesus into your heart" is a recent Protestant phrase that substitutes emotion and intellectual assent in the tasks of baptism Mark 16:16; John 3:5, believing Christ and putting faith in Him Luke 7:50, 8:12, self-renunciation Matt 5:3,10, repentance Matt 3:2; 4:17; 18:8-9; Mark 9:42-48, obedience to God, doing what is charitable and just Luke 10:25-28; Matt 19:17; Matt 25, adopting the humility of a child Matt 18:3-4; 19:14, eating the bread of life John 6:51, 53-54, and endurance to the end Matt 10:22, 24:13; Mark 13:13, Luke 21:16-18.

Jesus often taught about the heart, and so did his disciples and followers.
In Matthew 22:37: Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

1 Pet 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear

Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Asking Him into your heart is a simple summation of all the verses, and more, that I have cited. Go ahead, ask Him

Old 11-25-2010, 04:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Asking Christ to come into your heart is unbelief. He will no more come into your heart than He will come into your kidneys or spleen or pancreas.

To tell someone to ask Christ to come into their heart does absolutely nothing for that person if they do so.

This just proves that we have to question everything Christendumb says.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Asking Christ to come into your heart is unbelief. He will no more come into your heart than He will come into your kidneys or spleen or pancreas.

To tell someone to ask Christ to come into their heart does absolutely nothing for that person if they do so.
If you say so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity