Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,059,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
No confusion really. The glaring ommission is the issue.
I'm missing the glaring part. What is missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,032,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I'm missing the glaring part. What is missing?
My mistake. Small town girl said it better. It's the ADDITION to the story by the writer of Matthew and a fanciful one at that.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,059,700 times
Quote:
My mistake. Small town girl said it better. It's the ADDITION to the story by the writer of Matthew and a fanciful one at that.
I'll have to go back and look, thanks. I also have the Hebrew Gospel of Matthew (George Howard translation). I'll get it out and check it out.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 AM

42 posts, read 41,161 times
The people who were resurrected are not zombies. They are saints of God who dwell in heaven right now. They rose from the dead because they died in righteousness instead of their own sin. That's what this thread is about, right?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,032,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppy187 View Post
The people who were resurrected are not zombies. They are saints of God who dwell in heaven right now. They rose from the dead because they died in righteousness instead of their own sin. That's what this thread is about, right?
We are told they went into Jerusalem and were seen by MANY. After that, not one word about them from anyone. The [alleged] event is only mentioned in the book of Matthew and that is it. Nothing like this ever happened before or after.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,985,490 times
So what about the idea of them being seen by people in dreams or visions?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM

42 posts, read 41,161 times
So...just because it says it once, you think its not true? Remember who's doing the writing. Matthew was one of the original twelve. He was there. Do you really think he would "lie" after he spent 3 1/2 years with someone who preached that lying was a sin? Remember who he's writing about. He's writing about Jesus, the Son of God. Jesus is "the resurrection and the life." What about the widow woman’s son by Elijah (1Kgs 17:17-24)? What about the the shunammite’s son by Elisha (2Kgs 4)? What about the the dead man who was touched by the dead body of Elisha (2Kgs 13:20,21)? Lazarus (John 11) – called up by Jesus? Jarius’s daughter (Mk 5:21-43)? The widow woman’s son (Lk 7:11-15) – in a coffin being carried out to the cemetery?
These are resurrections of people throughout the bible, most of them BEFORE Jesus died and rose again. Read John chapter 11 to get a good grasp on who Jesus is and a small fraction of what He's capable of. Jesus is legit, dude. I'm tellin' you!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 PM

89,077 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
Now from the sixth hour until the ninth hour there was darkness over all the land. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” Some of those who stood there, when they heard that, said, “This Man is calling for Elijah!” Immediately one of them ran and took a sponge, filled it with sour wine and put it on a reed, and offered it to Him to drink. The rest said, “Let Him alone; let us see if Elijah will come to save Him.”

And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.
Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
So when the centurion and those with him, who were guarding Jesus, saw the earthquake and the things that had happened, they feared greatly, saying, “Truly this was the Son of God!” (Matthew 27:45-54)

Now when the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is translated, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” Some of those who stood by, when they heard that, said, “Look, He is calling for Elijah!” Then someone ran and filled a sponge full of sour wine, put it on a reed, and offered it to Him to drink, saying, “Let Him alone; let us see if Elijah will come to take Him down.”

And Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed His last.
Then the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. So when the centurion, who stood opposite Him, saw that He cried out like this and breathed His last, he said, “Truly this Man was the Son of God!” (Mark 15:33-39)

Now it was about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. Then the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two.

And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’” Having said this, He breathed His last.
So when the centurion saw what had happened, he glorified God, saying, “Certainly this was a righteous Man!” (Luke 23:44-47)
Slight difference in the centurion's words in Luke, but nonetheless, it's the phrase that inspired one of the best novels and most expensively-made movies of its time--Ben Hur. General Lew Wallace took that line and made up the baclstory of the centurion.

Damn. I should've made that a trivia question.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-20-2010 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Afterthought

Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,739,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
This is just a thought, but "appeared to many" could mean their spirit appeared to many, perhaps in a vision/dream. I do not believe that dead people actually got up and walked around. Rather, it was their spirit, and many loved ones possibly were visited by deceased family members. There is a seen and an unseen. And the way I see it, the veil between the two was perhaps a bit thinner at that time to allow people to see.
Just a thought.
RESPONSE:

>>many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised<<

This is the same thing being said about Christ a chapter later in Matthew. Do you think it was only his spirit too that was raised?

Last edited by ancient warrior; 11-21-2010 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,739,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppy187 View Post
So...just because it says it once, you think its not true? . Do you really think he would "lie" after he spent 3 1/2 years with someone who preached that lying was a sin? Remember who he's writing about. He's writing about Jesus, the Son of God. Jesus is "the resurrection and the life." What about the widow woman’s son by Elijah (1Kgs 17:17-24)? What about the the shunammite’s son by Elisha (2Kgs 4)? What about the the dead man who was touched by the dead body of Elisha (2Kgs 13:20,21)? Lazarus (John 11) – called up by Jesus? Jarius’s daughter (Mk 5:21-43)? The widow woman’s son (Lk 7:11-15) – in a coffin being carried out to the cemetery?
These are resurrections of people throughout the bible, most of them BEFORE Jesus died and rose again. Read John chapter 11 to get a good grasp on who Jesus is and a small fraction of what He's capable of. Jesus is legit, dude. I'm tellin' you!
RESPONSE:

>>Remember who's doing the writing. Matthew was one of the original twelve. He was there<<

Sorry. This account was written about 50 years after the fact by someone who wasn't there.

"The ancient tradition that the author was the disciple and apostle of Jesus named Matthew (see Matthew 10:3) is untenable because the gospel is based, in large part, on the Gospel according to Mark (almost all the verses of that gospel have been utilized in this), and it is hardly likely that a companion of Jesus would have followed so extensively an account that came from one who admittedly never had such an association rather than rely on his own memories" USCCB - NAB - Matthew - Introduction

Also, Mark, Luke, John, and Paul know nothing about it. Neither apparently did the Roman garrison stationed in Jerusalem nor the citizens nor Josephus Flavus, the Jewish chronicler of this period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity