Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:02 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,501,774 times

Advertisements

Luke 13:23
Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”

\\\\\\\\ From the opinions here, this person was either confused, dense, or just didn't know the language enough that "all means all" \\\\\\\

or ... the reason he asked was because Jesus never taught universal salvation.

What just did Jesus respond:

"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. .... you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ " .....

Jesus says that their pleading goes on deaf ears:
  • ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!

Could it be that this person was simply remembering Jesus saying earlier:
  • "then I will acknowledge to them, that -- I never knew you, depart from me ye who are working lawlessness. ...Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide [is] the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it; ... how strait [is] the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,982,281 times
Jesus saying "I never knew you" does not mean "I will never know you."

The same Jesus said in response to "Lord, who can be saved?" said in Matthew "With man THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE, but with God all things are possible." So with man it is impossible for one to save oneself but with God it is possible. Matt.19:25,26.

Now then, the same Jesus you quoted above also said "God will have all mankind to be saved" 1 Tim.2:4 because Christ ransomed all (1 Tim.2:6).

The same Jesus also said that All mankind condemned by what Adam did and all mankind made sinners due to what Adam did are the same all mankind that will have their lives justified and be made righteous. And since jesus said these things AFTER He said what YOU quoted, we can believe that what He later said is the fuller revelation of what God will do.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:33 PM

8,182 posts, read 6,934,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

The same Jesus said in response to "Lord, who can be saved?" said in Matthew "With man THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE, but with God all things are possible." So with man it is impossible for one to save oneself but with God it is possible.

Now then, the same Jesus you quoted above also said "God will have all mankind to be saved" 1 Tim.2:4 because Christ ransomed all (1 Tim.2:6).

The same Jesus also said that All mankind condemned by what Adam did and all mankind made sinners due to what Adam did are the same all mankind that will have their lives justified and be made righteous. And since jesus said these things AFTER He said what YOU quoted, we can believe that what He later said is the fuller revelation of what God will do.
Beautiful and thoughtful answer, Eusebius.
I fully agree.

Just had to repeat this part:

Gnashing of teeth - a temporary affliction that will serve it's purpose. To teach.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:

The same Jesus said in response to "Lord, who can be saved?" said in Matthew "With man THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE, but with God all things are possible." So with man it is impossible for one to save oneself but with God it is possible. Matt.19:25,26.

Nice try......

Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM

I know it was. It was a slam dunk win.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I know it was. It was a slam dunk win.

Delusions don't win. The many are not able to enter.

I tell you, many will try to enter and will not be able to. .... you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ " .....

Luke 13:24
“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Delusions don't win. The many are not able to enter.

I tell you, many will try to enter and will not be able to. .... you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ " .....

Luke 13:24
“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
I know Jesus is the same yesterday today and for ever. But that does not say He cannot enlarge the vision of what God is going to do for all mankind.
Jesus does not change, God's plans do.

Concerning Luke 13:24, Jesus was talking to Jews, not gentiles. He was not sent but to the lost sheep of the House of Israel. They (those Jews) were told to try to enter. But he did not say they were able to enter. They weren't able. God blinded them, hardened their hearts and blocked up their ears so they could not enter.

Their entering has to only do with the kingdom Jesus is going to set up on the earth during the thousand year age.

Later Jesus said all mankind will be saved. This salvation has to do with the consummation of the ages. Get it?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Luke 13:23
Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”

\\\\\\\\ From the opinions here, this person was either confused, dense, or just didn't know the language enough that "all means all" \\\\\\\

or ... the reason he asked was because Jesus never taught universal salvation.

What just did Jesus respond:

"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. .... you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ " .....

Jesus says that their pleading goes on deaf ears:
  • ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!
Yes, and it goes on to say the people Jesus did not know were thrown out. Jesus divides people in two groups, those who entered through the narrow gate into the Kingdom Of God, and those who did not enter, and were left outside. Kingdom of God is here today and when a person is saved, he enters the Kingdom, and the Kingdom into him/her. However when a person dies unsaved, the door is closed, and it will not be opened again. Intead the master will simply say that he does not know you.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:00 PM

And yet Romans 11:32 says God is going to be merciful to those He blinded who Jesus never knew. Oops, there goes your theology . . . right down the flusher. LOL

Old 11-28-2010, 06:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,197,474 times
Quote:
And yet Romans 11:32 says God is going to be merciful to those He blinded who Jesus never knew. Oops, there goes your theology . . . right down the flusher. LOL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity