Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times

Advertisements

Mr5150....
My condolence to you kind Sir...... for the loss of your dear Mother !!
Our prayers for you and family that God's comfort and peace which passes all understanding be poured upon you and all during this time of your great sorrow....
May God's love rest upon you !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:33 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Mr5150....
My condolence to you kind Sir...... for the loss of your dear Mother !!
Our prayers for you and family that God's comfort and peace which passes all understanding be poured upon you and all during this time of your great sorrow....
May God's love rest upon you !!!
Now that's a really nice post. Thanks.
But last night I came up with another question. It was said by some UR folk that those who die without Christ will sleep in the grave (soul sleep as taught by 7th day adventism and JWs)

Is there any any support in the NT for Soul Sleep?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i was never a big fan of hope,although everyone hopes for somethin,its just that i think Gods Will will be done !!!no-matter how much i hope somethin will happen dosent actually mean its goin to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Exactly dobeable,
That is why the Concordant Literal translates "elpizo" as "expect" and "expectation."
We don't just hope Christ will return, we expect He will. It is sure and certain.
Just because you expect something to happen doesn't mean it will, either..

Neither hoping nor expecting (which are synonyms) means that they will happen. We hope something is true, or we expect something is true; but whether it is or not remains to be seen..
We trust in Him that His mercy is as great as He declares it to be.. this is the same as hoping or expecting; we will know for sure when we see Him face to face..

Blessings,
Brian

Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
But last night I came up with another question. It was said by some UR folk that those who die without Christ will sleep in the grave (soul sleep as taught by 7th day adventism and JWs)

Mr5150,
what do you hope for?

Personally, I hope in the mercy and love of the Lord to cover all sin and all which would separate all mankind from Him..
I hope in His Power to heal and restore the nations and usher all into His marvellous Kingdom!

Blessings,
Brian

Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
Not really interested arguing, but others can.

My mother died without accepting Jesus. As a matter of fact she didn't even like God. Was an atheist/agnostic who wanted no part of God.

So what's the fate of people like her? As in before she is reconciled to God.

How is she gonna spend the next 100 or 10,000 years?
RESPONSE:

From Lumen Gentium, Documents of Vatican II

"Nor shall divine providence deny the assistance necessary for salvation to those who, without any fault of theirs, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God, and who, not without grace, strive to lead a good life."

Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:

John 11
11 After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.†12 His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.†13 Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.
14 So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, 15 and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.â€

1 Cor 15:12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.
20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

In many places in scripture death is likened to sleep. Consider Paul was talking about the resurrection of the dead, not the resurrection of the body. Also note sometimes scripture is talking about spiritual death and physical death ie. let the dead bury the dead... so that does confuse matters sometimes. However, I believe it is the truth that death is like sleep. Otherwise why would we need to be resurrected? Resurrection means to give life. If we are already alive/conscious, we wouldn't need resurrecting.

This link might help:
L. Ray Smith - AN ENCOURAGING THOUGHT ABOUT DEATH

Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
PS, in case you were wondering I'm not getting my belief about death being unconsiousness from the JWs or SDAs. I believe scripture supports it... IMHO the reason many do not believe it because it contradicts the idea of people going to hell immediately at death.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Just because you expect something to happen doesn't mean it will, either..

Neither hoping nor expecting (which are synonyms) means that they will happen. We hope something is true, or we expect something is true; but whether it is or not remains to be seen..
We trust in Him that His mercy is as great as He declares it to be.. this is the same as hoping or expecting; we will know for sure when we see Him face to face..

Blessings,
Brian
Brian,
Personally, I don't just hope I will be saved, I have a glorious expectation in that I KNOW without doubt, I expect I will be saved.

Do you think God just hopes what He is doing with the universe will come about or do you think He expects it will per this:

Romans 8:20-21 CLV "For to vanity was the creation subjected, not
voluntarily, but because of Him Who subjects it, in expectation (21)
that the creation itself, also, shall be freed from the slavery of corruption
into the glorious freedom of the children of God."

Old 12-02-2010, 12:52 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
PS, in case you were wondering I'm not getting my belief about death being unconsiousness from the JWs or SDAs. I believe scripture supports it... IMHO the reason many do not believe it because it contradicts the idea of people going to hell immediately at death.
I think it's interesting that people just discard beliefs because some "cult" believes it. Do all cults believe the sky is blue? Do they believe in gravity? Do they believe in monsters? Maybe they believe in all 3, but that doesn't stop me from believing in gravity and a blue sky.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150
The Bible does not say "soul sleep" so I don't believe in it.

Soul can stand for the whole person in some verses or it can stand for the feelings in other verses.

Christ told the disciples to destroy their soul. He meant their enjoyment of pleasures in this life. If they did they would get their soul (enjoyment of pleasures) in the next life.

The soul is never said to be immortal or eternal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity