Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:26 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,002,970 times

Advertisements

I went to the mall the other day with some of our family.

As I walked the halls and saw all the "Christmas" decorations and heard the music blaring in the mall I asked my neice:

I wonder if Christ knew that two thousand years later they'd be singing Jingle Bell Rock to commemorate His birth?

I mean, it is so out of sinc with what took place 2000 years ago. I mean, can you imaging the angels singing Jingle Bells to the shepherds?

Or how about:
AC/DC for "Mistress for Christmas"?
Twisted Sister for "Silver Bells"?
Chuck Berry - "Run Rudolph Run"

Personally I find it an afront to what actually happened 2000 years ago. The Saviour of the world was born.

Last edited by Eusebius; 12-25-2010 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 06:31 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,032,570 times
It is a gaudy scene, for sure, as are so many things in this world. I wonder if other religious holidays of Jews and Muslims (for example) have been twisted into commercial enterprises?

Old 12-25-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It is a gaudy scene, for sure, as are so many things in this world. I wonder if other religious holidays of Jews and Muslims (for example) have been twisted into commercial enterprises?
Yea, what would happen if we had a Ramadan Bunny? Those Muslims would be blowing up more suicide bombers and killing more people until the bunny went away.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:12 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,052,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

Hanukkah is not commercialized like Christmas. In our home we give small gifts and gelt for the nights of hanukkah. We eat special foods like latkes, and sufgyaniot. We read the story of the Maccabees and we get together with our community. In my house we have a few decorations we put up inside. Each year I add something new. It is very different then the extravagance of Christmas.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:19 AM

Jazzy, they gave us the Easter Bunny for Jesus' resurrection.

They gave us a stupid reindeer with a shiney nose for Christmas.

We should give you the honey bee for Macca bees.

The bee would fly around the menorah without getting burned and doing all kinds of stunts. And it would say "be a do bee, don't be a don't bee."

Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,052,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jazzy, they gave us the Easter Bunny for Jesus' resurrection.

They gave us a stupid reindeer with a shiney nose for Christmas.

We should give you the honey bee for Macca bees.

The bee would fly around the menorah without getting burned and doing all kinds of stunts. And it would say "be a do bee, don't be a don't bee."

lol Merry Christmas Eusebius!

Old 12-25-2010, 07:52 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,044,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I went to the mall the other day with some of our family.

As I walked the halls and saw all the "Christmas" decorations and heard the music blaring in the mall I asked my neice:

I wonder if Christ knew that two thousand years later they'd be singing Jingle Bell Rock to commemorate His birth?

I mean, it is so out of sinc with what took place 2000 years ago. I mean, can you imaging the angels singing Jingle Bells to the shepherds?

Or how about:
AC/DC for "Mistress for Christmas"?
Twisted Sister for "Silver Bells"?
Chuck Berry - "Run Rudolph Run"

Personally I find it an afront to what actually happened 2000 years ago. The Saviour of the world was born.
I don't think He would be surprised at all. Jesus knew the nature of man. He knew they would turn to celebrate His birth. The earthly celebrate what is earthly.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:09 AM

810 posts, read 1,439,484 times
The irony is hard to ignore...but amazing how some people do.

On the news they showed people visiting Bethlehem dressed in Santa hats, and all the festivities of Saturnalia going on...to honor Jesus' "birthday". ???

Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,641,253 times
I know it's all horribly commercialized, Christmas that is, but I love to hear the Christmas music, smell candles burning and all of the pretty decorations. It really puts me in the mood for the specialness of the day. But I never forget what this day represents, and that is the birth of our precious Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

Old 12-25-2010, 08:43 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,016,957 times
Ya know, it really isn't THAT serious! Just enjoy the day however YOU choose and be at peace. I'm sure baby Jesus could care less. All powerful deities should not be needing us to pander to them.

Merry Christmas to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity