Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 AM

358 posts, read 917,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Christians are commanded to preach the gospel. Does this endorse their religion? At least indirectly?? Does this indirectly say that other religions are wrong? If so, I don't see anyway around it.
This is quite sad. If everyone thought as you did, we'd all be standing around arguing that our own religion is right and everyone else's is wrong. What a waste of time.

People would be standing around like a bunch of hyperactive salesmen, no one listening to anyone else because we all have to make the big sale.

How we treat others in life should be of utmost importance. My own view is that G-d would rather that we accept our differences and concentrate on helping others and treating our planet with care than stand around being mean and abusive to each other by the insistance of who's "right." Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:27 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,282,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
This is quite sad. If everyone thought as you did, we'd all be standing around arguing that our own religion is right and everyone else's is wrong. What a waste of time.

People would be standing around like a bunch of hyperactive salesmen, no one listening to anyone else because we all have to make the big sale.

How we treat others in life should be of utmost importance. My own view is that G-d would rather that we accept our differences and concentrate on helping others and treating our planet with care than stand around being mean and abusive to each other by the insistance of who's "right." Sigh.
Hmm...so are you saying it's wrong to preach the gospel? Did you read Alpha's post about why a Christian might seem to be insisting on being "right?"

Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,673,921 times
But, do you believe that children should be taught (not to follow, but simply to learn) the tenets of other religions?

My children are exposed to different religions every time they step outside my home.

Until they move out, they will be taught Christianity in the home.

Why would I want to go against Jesus and teach them of other religions? How is that practicing my faith as a Christian? What is that saying about me as far as how deeply I believe in Christianity?

How could I teach them Christian beliefs that tell that Jesus is the way and the life, yet go on to teach them about a different faith?

That would just show that I am a hypocrite. Therefore, I teach them of my faith in Christianity and they have that for a solid base as they go about growing up.

Once they are grown up, move out, they will have opportunities to explore other religions if that is their choice.

Lets put it like this.

I am a parent who is responsible for the wellbeing of the children I have brought into this world. It is my job to do what I feel is best for them.
I teach them that the world is not black and white always, there are areas of grey. I also try to teach them that there is good in every thing, although they might not see it. I teach them right from wrong, the laws of our land and respect.

If I am teaching all this, yet say, there is another way, you could disobey the laws, don't be respectful, and nothing is ever good what am I really saying?

Consistency is key with belief. I chose to become a Christian, not that I was raised in a household that went to church every time the doors opened, but because once I got out on my own, that is what I wanted for my life.

I am teaching these very same values to my children. And, by teaching the christian value to them, I also strive each day to live by what I am teaching. I can't be wishy-washy with their lives or with mine. I made a choice, and I follow that decision.

Therefore, I live what I teach my children in all areas of my life to the best that I can.

By sticking to principals, although it goes against the worldly view, I am teaching them a valuable lesson. When you decide on something, even though many may ridicule you, go the distance and trust in yourself enough to live by your convictions, and I am also teaching them to take their cares and place them at Jesus's feet, He will let you know if your path is true.

I guess what I am saying is that I try to practice what I preach simply because I believe what I am preaching.

In my faith, there is no room for other religions. This is what my belief teaches.

IF that offends someone, they have the right to not associate with me. I will not compromise my salvation to please people.

Therefore, my children will be taught the Christian belief as long as they are living in my home.

I will live true to my Christian belief to bear witness to what I believe, becoming a beacon of light for my Savior as much as someone as unworthy as I can.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,871,534 times
The more I read the views of the "sampling" of Christians on here, the more I think "Christianity" is not for me. I certainly believe in God and believe that Jesus died for my sins, but as for the rest (especially the Old Testament), I think it's a bunch of bunk written in an ancient time by MEN who wanted to control the populace and women.

(stand back while lightning strikes)

Anyone, unless they are a criminal of some sort, is welcome in our home. I truly think Jesus wanted us to love MORE people in this world, not FEWER (regardless of their beliefs). Maybe I'm naive.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,482,489 times
I don't want to flame other's beliefs on this subject, but I disagree with many of you here.

I think that if you are a Christian, then challenging yourself with other religions and philosophies will make you a stronger, more intelligent Christian, and also will give you better insight into the challenges you face in your personal faith. There is a difference between educating yourself on other religions, and worshipping/practicing those other religions.

And I don't want to turn this into "War of the Bible Verses", but my interpretation is that God does not want Christians to limit themselves to only associate with other Christians. I don't know the verses, but didn't Jesus hang out with the prostitutes and corrupt tax collectors?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,644,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The more I read the views of the "sampling" of Christians on here, the more I think "Christianity" is not for me. I certainly believe in God and believe that Jesus died for my sins, but as for the rest (especially the Old Testament), I think it's a bunch of bunk written in an ancient time by MEN who wanted to control the populace and women.

Anyone, unless they are a criminal of some sort, is welcome in our home. I truly think Jesus wanted us to love MORE people in this world, not FEWER (regardless of their beliefs). Maybe I'm naive.
Great post and point, the kind of Christianity I can wholeheartedly respect. I wish more people thought like you.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:41 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,758,304 times
Excellent, excellent post, Alpha!

I would also like to add, that anyone who talks and talks and talks about how their views are trampled on by Christians, and how annoying Christians are, and we're the only religion trying to convert people, blah, blah, blah-has never spent real time in a country with a huge Muslim population.

I am a first generation American. All of my relatives come from Middle Eastern countries, . Egypt, Assyria, Lebanon, Turkey, and some from France (huge Muslim population there, also). I'll tell you this, spend a few years in any of the above and you'll fall down on your knees and thank SOMEONE if not God that you are surrounded by annoying Christians concerned about your salvation.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 AM

358 posts, read 917,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Jazz...Most of us don't really know enough about other religions to teach our children the differences.
That's what makes people very vulnerable to cults. I think every person, regardless of religion, should know the basics of major religions.

A well-rounded ducation is high on the list of priorities for my family. Again (I'm not sure you understand), I'm talking about simply learning that other religions exist and what the basic beliefs are. I want my children to grow up knowing what's in the world around them.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,673,921 times
Ok, sir Alpha, what is the verse about hanging with the wrong crowd in the Bible? I know it's there, it just slips my memory at the moment.

Yes, Jesus did dine with them, and he explained that it was to heal them as a physician heals the sick. He wanted to help them.

I am not saying we shun people of different religions with hatred, the Bible commands that I show compassion and love, but condem their belief.

I am not saying that there is not going to be someone of a different religion in my home, I am saying that I will not teach different religions in my home to my children.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,282,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

magellan, I don't think anyone here (unless I'm mistaken) is saying they don't love and embrace people of other faiths, have them in their homes, etc. I think they are primarily meaning teaching other religions, philosophies to their kids, watching things on TV that might bring in the doctrine of other religions (and some had no problem with this either.) I think this is a big difference in not embracing people themselves of other faiths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity