Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,280,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Throughout my life, I heard NUMEROUS times that the only unforgivable or unpardonable sin was suicide . I know there are verses to back up that taking one's own life is definitely not a good thing in God's sight...I have in more recent years learned that the only unpardonable sin is rejecting "God's power in Christ" (had to quote ILNC, because I couldn't come up with a better way to put it She said it so perfectly!).
A lot of people think this, kawg. But I can't think of a single verse in the Bible which comments specifically on suicide. Anyone else? (I know that Judas is recorded as having committed suicide and maybe others I'm not thinking of who did. But this is just stated as a fact, nothing more.) Obviously, I think committing suicide is as you stated extremely serious in the eyes of the Lord, I don't think it is unforgivable. Only the Lord knows the heart. This is just one of those "in my opinions" but I believe the blood of Christ covers the sin of suicide...if you were a Christian at the time of the suicide. Again, just "kaykay's opinion" but I think scripture does not specifically address the issue as far as I'm aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,013,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
A lot of people think this, kawg. But I can't think of a single verse in the Bible which comments specifically on suicide. Anyone else? (I know that Judas is recorded as having committed suicide and maybe others I'm not thinking of who did. But this is just stated as a fact, nothing more.) Obviously, I think committing suicide is as you stated extremely serious in the eyes of the Lord, I don't think it is unforgivable. Only the Lord knows the heart. This is just one of those "in my opinions" but I believe the blood of Christ covers the sin of suicide...if you were a Christian at the time of the suicide. Again, just "kaykay's opinion" but I think scripture does not specifically address the issue as far as I'm aware.
According to this information, there were actually at least 5 people, but all were ungodly people.
What is the Christian view of suicide? What does the Bible say about suicide?
There was a passage I read not too long ago that made me think it was related to killing yourself, if I find it, I will get back to you .
I'm not saying I still think suicide is the unpardonable sin, I really don't. But it used to hold validity to me. Now, I understand that denying Him is the worst possible sin. It's kind of relevant to the thread I started not too long ago. Personally (IMHO), I think that believing in Him and hating or denying Him is actually a bit worse than not believing at all. (Please don't flame me, it's just my opinion )

Old 07-21-2007, 09:57 PM

743 posts, read 2,235,275 times
The sin against the Holy Spirit, the only sin I belive is unforgivable is.....believing that a sin is unforgivable by God.....basically, despair.

If you believe that something you've done is so horrific as to be unforgivable (murder, rape, etc).....that you are unable to accept God's forgiveness.

As far as suicide goes, it depends upon a lot of variables. Consent and culpability are two words that come to mind.

Is the person in full consent w/ the suicide? Are they willfully choosing it without coersion or outside influences? Are they mentally ill and suffering from chronic depression? Suicide is not so cut and dry.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,526,976 times
IMO, people who commit suicide are in deep depression , or some other mental state that they are not accountable for what they are doing, so it is a very good possibility that God doesn't hold it against them.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 PM

743 posts, read 2,235,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
IMO, people who commit suicide are in deep depression , or some other mental state that they are not accountable for what they are doing, so it is a very good possibility that God doesn't hold it against them.
It basically comes down to the fundamentals of mortal and venial sin. For a sin to be mortal (completely cut off from God), it must have the three components:

1) Sin must be of serious or grave nature
2j) Person must have full knowledge and consent of the sin's grave nature
3) Person must willfully commit the sin

Old 09-08-2007, 07:26 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,348,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
It basically comes down to the fundamentals of mortal and venial sin. For a sin to be mortal (completely cut off from God), it must have the three components:

1) Sin must be of serious or grave nature
2j) Person must have full knowledge and consent of the sin's grave nature
3) Person must willfully commit the sin
Just want to point out that mortal sin can also be forgiven, once the sinner repents, and asks for forgiveness.

Oh yea, and then there is the whole "contrition" thing, but that might be another topic.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:44 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
I was considering some points by kaykay and beth ann.

It may be a state of mind that is filled with such darkness that no light can shine into it.

But then, there are the considerations below.

That despairing mental state that allows for no light might account for some suicides, but not all.

There are people who have done horrible things and say 'something' comes over them, and they lack the power to stop it. We will never know how many such people chose to off themselves rather than continue hurting others.

But such a person can see that there is, somewhere, the existance of goodness, so I don't think they can be irredeemable in God's eyes.

You see, everything in nature seems to gravitate towards the good. Flowers want to face the sunshine.

People with horrid backgrounds, deep inside, want healing, even though some don't know how to get it.

I am thinking that only God knows what we have been through, so only God can really judge us. And only God probably knows what is 'unpardonable' - but I find it so hard to believe that there can be souls beyond the reach of God.

I am thinking of people who undergo torture, and lose their faith, of Mother Theresa who no longer believed in God(yet she persisted in her work). People can be exposed to so much injustice and suffering that they lose hope. Their loss of hope does not negate God out of existance, in a way it is their understandable anger at a universe that allows such horrors to exist.

It makes one think that perhaps God does not care much about whether we live or die, that these things are ineveitable for life on the planet. What is not in evidence is how we grow while we are here.

I don't think that the human will or our personal choices are 'where its at'. People can become broken and reject God.
I think God still loves them in spite of that.

It is an interesting place that we live in.
People who say things that appear evil to some, actually do good in the world.
Those who say the 'good' things end up in positions to do great evil.

I think that Christ kept telling people to look within for the kingdom because of all this falsity.

There are people who know the right words, which buttons to push, and can move masses, yet are not good people. So we don't look for things outside ourselves, but within.

I remember the small church of my youth, and how they held even Billy Graham suspect, because of all the crowds he'd draw - to them God was an intimate and personal thing, and somehow cheapened when it became a mass movement.

This can all become very confusing.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 AM

I had a spriritual director confront me with the question;

How are we sure if there is anyone in hell?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,526,976 times
I had a nephew who cimmitted suicide. He hung himself from a tenth floor balcony..He was raised a christian..His mom (my sister) worked long hours as an RN..His dad was a ceo for IBM and spent most of the time either out of state or out of country. Both parents were overachievers, and expected their three sons to be overachievers..Two of the sons were like their parents and adapted to that way of life. Chas , didn't..He was of average intelligence, and a very loving child whose dream was to just have the normal life that all his cousins enjoyed Chas never felt he really had a place or a future in his family..He turned to drugs..His parents turned to "tough love',which was the "trendy" thing to do at the time..They turned their back on Chas A couple years later with more and more tragedy building in this young mans life and his thought of no love, no life, no way out. He found his way out...I can't hold this childs suicide against him..His suicide was a culmination of life and the people involved in his life..He got into drugs at the age of 12 and hung himself at the age of 20. I do not think suicide is the inpardonable sin..In this case and in many, many others this person craves love, and peace and feels the only way to get it is to hasten their journey into the afterlife..That was what was in Chas lenghty suicide writings..

Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I had a nephew who cimmitted suicide. He hung himself from a tenth floor balcony..He was raised a christian..His mom (my sister) worked long hours as an RN..His dad was a ceo for IBM and spent most of the time either out of state or out of country. Both parents were overachievers, and expected their three sons to be overachievers..Two of the sons were like their parents and adapted to that way of life. Chas , didn't..He was of average intelligence, and a very loving child whose dream was to just have the normal life that all his cousins enjoyed Chas never felt he really had a place or a future in his family..He turned to drugs..His parents turned to "tough love',which was the "trendy" thing to do at the time..They turned their back on Chas A couple years later with more and more tragedy building in this young mans life and his thought of no love, no life, no way out. He found his way out...I can't hold this childs suicide against him..His suicide was a culmination of life and the people involved in his life..He got into drugs at the age of 12 and hung himself at the age of 20. I do not think suicide is the inpardonable sin..In this case and in many, many others this person craves love, and peace and feels the only way to get it is to hasten their journey into the afterlife..That was what was in Chas lenghty suicide writings..

We can still pray for him.

And there are those that believe we can pray WITH him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity