Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM

33,241 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
GOD IS LOVE. To know God is to Love God. And how does one get to know Him? Faith comes by hearing the Word of God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Thanks Mike. Good Stuff! Though there will be those who mock, there will likewise be many who will take the time to read the study. That's what really matters. Keep up the good work!
Thanks katie. Indeed, one cannot love God without knowing who and what He is. The more the believer knows God through His word, the greater the capacity to love God and the greater the capacity for life, love and happiness in this world. For this reason, the believer is left on this earth after salvation. It is through the consistant intake, metabolization and application of Bible doctrine that spiritual growth occurs which results in greater grace blessings in this life and surpassing grace blessings in eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The purpose of this post is to direct the attention of any believer in the Lord Jesus Christ who is reading this to the importance of having and maintaining positive volition toward Bible doctrine. And with that purpose in view, to present the following study from a knowledgable pastor/teacher who teaches the entire realm of Bible doctrine. The Importance of Positive Volition Towards Bible Doctrine - Doctrines for download - Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ Positive volition toward Bible doctrine is an active desire to know God. Without having and maintaining positive volition toward the word of God it is impossible to grow spiritually and fulfill the purpose for which God leaves the believer in this world after having been saved through faith in Christ. Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, ''It is written, 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.' ''

2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; 17] that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

I hope you'll take the time to read the study.
There was some great points in there.

Like these:

Believers who keep on growing through the solid food of the Word are:

the ones who operate in love,
the ones who grow and mature in the knowledge,
the ones who go on to advance doctrinally,
the ones whose strength is matured in weakness,
the ones who do not quit,
the ones who are patient during times of trouble.
and much more....

I like the "operate in love". It means living it, not just talking about it every time it seems convenient to mention it.

Good study. Is that a part of a bigger study?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There was some great points in there.

Like these:

Believers who keep on growing through the solid food of the Word are:

the ones who operate in love,
the ones who grow and mature in the knowledge,
the ones who go on to advance doctrinally,
the ones whose strength is matured in weakness,
the ones who do not quit,
the ones who are patient during times of trouble.
and much more....

I like the "operate in love". It means living it, not just talking about it every time it seems convenient to mention it.

Good study. Is that a part of a bigger study?
I'm glad you read it and posted some of what it talked about Finn. Hopefully it will encourage some who otherwise would not have gone into it to do so.

It is one study of many studies. This is from one of the churches that I post a link to from time to time. Here is the link to a different area of the website. Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ Take a look around in it. It is a doctrinally oriented church where fundamental Bible doctrine is taught.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 PM

595 posts, read 762,035 times
Bible doctrine is an active desire to know God. Without having and maintaining positive volition toward the word of God it is impossible to grow spiritually and fulfill the purpose for which God leaves the believer in this world after having been saved through faith in Christ.

Amen, and thank you Mike.
Such a priviledge to see, hear and understand God speaking to our hearts through Jesus Christ.
All for His glory and our good.

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Bible doctrine is an active desire to know God. Without having and maintaining positive volition toward the word of God it is impossible to grow spiritually and fulfill the purpose for which God leaves the believer in this world after having been saved through faith in Christ.

Amen, and thank you Mike.
Such a priviledge to see, hear and understand God speaking to our hearts through Jesus Christ.
All for His glory and our good.

God Bless,
Mercy
Amen Mercy, and you're welcome. Knowledge of Bible doctrine builds a cup of capacity into which God can pour His blessings which glorifies God.

God Bless,
Mike

Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
So you believe that knowing bible doctrine is more important than love? A greater virtue? Some people can't even read or don't have access to bibles or bible doctine. The Christian life is about a relationship with God, not about doctrine. Doctrine is basically interpretations, and there are too many to count. For example, Mike555 believes you are not required to be sorry for your sins to be saved. That's a unique take on salvation that I had never heard before. So, if bible doctrine is the greatest virtue, whose doctrine? Mike's, yours, or someone else's?
As I pointed out in another thread.... the mantra of how we need to "join a Bible-believing church" is meaningless because there are thousands of churches who claim to be BIBLE-based that disagree on all sorts of doctrines. But the main doctrine most of them agree on is that God is angry and those outside the group will be eternally tormented after physical death. That is a very dark thing to unify on! Which is the main reason I do not join myself to any such groups. But I do read the Bible regularly (have been for nearly 30 years. And I can testify that the Spirit must open the scriptures to a person because what I see today is not the same as what I saw the day before or many years before that. It's a journey. God doesn't just give us the whole pie in one bite! There were years of suffering in darkness that I had to go through. And I suppose that has not changed. I can't change anyone's truth time-table. God is in control of each of his children. So God bless all who are wherever they happen to be in their spiritual walk. It does not yet appear what we shall be, but when we shall "SEE HIM" we shall be like HIM.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
The Greatest Virtue (moral excellence, goodness, or righteousness) in the Christian life is knowledge of Bible Doctrine?

"Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity."

Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
If you aren't experiencing Jesus Christ alive within your heart daily, doctrine will not help you, but only confuse you.
Aisi...

Peace,
brian

Old 02-17-2011, 02:02 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
"Where there is knowledge it shall cease"

Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 AM

Knowledge of Bible doctrine precedes personal love for God. And personal love for God precedes impersonal love for all mankind. 1 John 4:21 'And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also.'

Notice the sequence involved in the growth of Christian virtue in 2 Peter 1:2-10.

2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; (In the what? In the KNOWLEDGE!!!) 3] seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him (Through the what? Through the true knowledge of God!!!) who called us by His own glory and virtue. 4] For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, in order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.

5] Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge; 6] and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness; 7] and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 8] For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9] For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.

The progression in the growth of the believers virtue is moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, love.

Knowledge precedes love.

Here are two quick studies on personal and impersonal love. 1) Personal Love for God.... Messages / Bible Classes - Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ

2) Impersonal Love • 1 John 2:7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity