Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,769,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
As I repeat again, (given that you ignored these points and you have yet address them directly).

The phrase “mighty god [Heb: el]” can be translated as “mighty ruler” – e.g. (Isa. 9:6 (el = God) with Ezk. 31:11 (el = ruler)

Everlasting [Heb: olam] Father” is better translated as “father of the [coming] age”. The Hebrews did not have one word for expressing the exact idea of “everlasting”. The word “everlasting” is a misleading and inaccurate translation.

Really an olam is an unknown period of time or age and therefore cannot be an “eternity” or “everlasting”. Here’s a link:
Ancient Hebrew Word Meanings

"Father" [Heb: ab]
I'm going to quote from the book “The Biblical Story of Joseph” by Donald Redford, who said this: “The term "father" is used in Semitic languages to mean a leader… Note how the term is used in Esther 3:13; 8:12 LXX, where Haman is called "father" of the Persian king; a Levite priest was 'father' to some Danites (Jud. 18:19); Elijah was 'father' to Elisha (2 Kings 2:12); Eliakim was 'father' to the people of Jerusalem (Is. 2:21). Joseph was 'father' to Pharaoh (Gen. 45:8)…”

So the title/name 'father' that you said is applied to 'Jesus' shouldn't automatically lead you to think that Jesus is ‘god’ the Father. There are different senses of the word.

And I believe the term "father" is being used in Isaiah 9:6 in a way consistent with other “biblical” usage to denote a leader, ruler, or a great one- but not ‘god’ as in person. Furthermore, I would like to add that many scholars out there that say such “throne names” or else royal titles such as “Wonderful Counselor”, “Mighty God”, “Everlasting Father”, and “Prince of Peace” were coronation names that were used for monarchs, rulers, and kings in other countries. It is said such royal titles were given to Egyptian kings at their accession.
........everlasting life, that why he came, for any one who followed after Him. Knowing no one is perfect, He gave us the Lords Prayer, to say, and use as an example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,440,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
......There are many things I do not understand but there are conclusions I can reach. Ice can become water or steam but it remains water just in a different form. So I believe and yet doubt that I understand everything.
...don't worry bluescityleon...we all do.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,440,292 times
Quote:
As I repeat again, (given that you ignored these points and you have yet address them directly).

The phrase “mighty god [Heb: el]” can be translated as “mighty ruler” – e.g. (Isa. 9:6 (el = God) with Ezk. 31:11 (el = ruler)

Everlasting [Heb: olam] Father” is better translated as “father of the [coming] age”. The Hebrews did not have one word for expressing the exact idea of “everlasting”. The word “everlasting” is a misleading and inaccurate translation.

Really an olam is an unknown period of time or age and therefore cannot be an “eternity” or “everlasting”. Here’s a link:
Ancient Hebrew Word Meanings

"Father" [Heb: ab]
I'm going to quote from the book “The Biblical Story of Joseph” by Donald Redford, who said this: “The term "father" is used in Semitic languages to mean a leader… Note how the term is used in Esther 3:13; 8:12 LXX, where Haman is called "father" of the Persian king; a Levite priest was 'father' to some Danites (Jud. 18:19); Elijah was 'father' to Elisha (2 Kings 2:12); Eliakim was 'father' to the people of Jerusalem (Is. 2:21). Joseph was 'father' to Pharaoh (Gen. 45:8)…”

So the title/name 'father' that you said is applied to 'Jesus' shouldn't automatically lead you to think that Jesus is ‘god’ the Father. There are different senses of the word.

And I believe the term "father" is being used in Isaiah 9:6 in a way consistent with other “biblical” usage to denote a leader, ruler, or a great one- but not ‘god’ as in person. Furthermore, I would like to add that many scholars out there that say such “throne names” or else royal titles such as “Wonderful Counselor”, “Mighty God”, “Everlasting Father”, and “Prince of Peace” were coronation names that were used for monarchs, rulers, and kings in other countries. It is said such royal titles were given to Egyptian kings at their accession.
Kids...I have dealt with this already. This isn't rocket science....no need for interpretive gymnastics and argumentative grumbling here...simple ancient themes...coming together....No worries....believe what you want...if Dan 7 and Rev 1 isn't enough for folks like you...I don't know what is....maybe a leap of faith? Give it a try, it ain't gonna hurt you.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,358,220 times
Does the Bible say Jesus is God?

Heck, Jesus even denies that he is God.

Luke 18: 18-19
Quote:
A certain ruler asked him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus asked him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good, except one--God.
Why do you call me good? That title only belongs to God (in other words, I am NOT God). Could Jesus have been any clearer? I don't think so...

Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 PM

Default Whoops ............

Quote:
"God is NOT a man..." Num 23:19 KJV
Read John 1:1 2Tim 2:15 Intellectually you can not conclude Jesus is not God. As an Intellectual you will see that when you read all the scripture and believe it true, you notice that Jesus was "with God and is God".........if you trust God to answer your prayer , Maybe 2Tim2:15 would give you a clue if you Study and Pray. It is a fault, easy to fall into, taking scripture out of context, I struggle myself, But look at all the learned comments on the subject. A book by Josh McDowell ' More than a Carpenter" will very clearly explain Jesus was God or he was a Liar. Jesus said he came , not to bring peace, but to divide. Nothing more clear , and opinions must fall on one side or the other. Contrary to what most people think , there is a method to use logic to prove the major facts of Christianity and this being one of them. McDowell uses the example of bringing the evidence into a court of law, The written facts and logic will come to bear , and he lays it out, to show only someone deficient in common sense, or has a severe character flaw , would not understand. Pride stopped me for many years and I really had very little to be proud of. If you basic already believe the Bible, then keep studying and you will hear from the one who inspired it. To be Excellent at any thing, requires years of dedicated study.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 PM

Default Careful.........lets say God is a spirit, God is Love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
So Jesus has a God, and God has a God too, Jesus. Maybe God worships Jesus the way parents worship their children.
..........What is a spirit? In high school we learned how to establish congruency of Triangles......Read John 1:1.......we are not talking about what we think but what scripture supports. Not out of context. But the truth is established by testimony of witnesses. Not one but many.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:55 PM

Default yeah............

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireland17 View Post
This verse is prophecy about Jesus:

Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
JESUS is called by many names in the bible....just knowing the names does shead light on the Subject

Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,386,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
we are not talking about what we think but what scripture supports.
Yet, it's not what many think is supported?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Default Jesus told his diciples............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yes, sort of . . .

Heb 1:9 Thou lovest righteousness and hatest injustice; Therefore Thou art anointed by God, Thy God, with the oil of exultation beyond Thy partners."

Jesus has a God.

He told His disciples "He is ascending to His God and their God." So Jesus was saying He is not their God but that their God was in heaven which was where He was headed after resurection.

And yet God said about His Son this:

Heb 1:8 Yet to the Son: "Thy throne, O God, is for the eon of the eon, And a scepter of rectitude is the scepter of Thy kingdom."

So, the question to ask is: What is meant by the term "God"? It means "Subjector" or "Placer."

Jesus is a "Theos" (Greek for God). He is a Subjector. God is subjecting all mankind to His Son. So His Son is a Subjector.

God told Moses He was a Theos to Pharaoh and Aaron was to be his prophet.
So Moses was the subjector of Pharaoh.

God told the Jews that they were theos or Gods. The judges and rulers of Israel were subjecting the people to the law and to God.

So Jesus has a God.
The disciples have a God who is the God of Christ.

Paul wrote:

1Co 8:5-7 For even if so be that there are those being termed gods,
whether in heaven or on earth, even as there are many gods and many
lords, (6) nevertheless for us there is one God, the Father, out of Whom
all is, and we for Him, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through Whom all is, and
we through Him." (7) But not in all is there this knowledge.

So the Father is God Who is the source of all.
And one Lord, Jesus Christ.
.........if you have seen me you have seen the Father...........The Jew wanted to kill Him because He said that, of course his followers were mostly Jewish, it was the Jewish leaders who objected .............can you explain away the New Testament
in this regard.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 PM

Default Somebody is wrong ............God is a spirit but Has a Right hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Phil 2:7...I don't dig it man...a man doesn't take on the likeness of a man, because he is a man. God, however, can take on the likeness of a man.

You dig?

Jesus is not on the right hand of God, He is God, on the throne, and He, and God ARE the Temple. Dig?
See this is not for the casual observer...........I think I know the answer......one answer , God did not, in His infinite wisdom, did not see fit to make it simple. In fact 2tim2:15 says study, and if you seek wisdom ask God for it. Jesus said no man Has seen God and then said if you have seen me you have seen The Father..............so if you don't believe it ,O.k. but but have you actually Read the New Testament, or is this a "religious" interpretation, if so you must be aware that not all Christians read the Bible the Same way.........
'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity