Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

I am curious if those of you who believe the bread really turns into Jesus' body and the wine turns into Jesus' blood?

If so, do you have scientific proof it does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am curious if those of you who believe the bread really turns into Jesus' body and the wine turns into Jesus' blood?

Symbolic only.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

I don't believe in transubstantiation, but I don't think your question is valid. The very essence of the belief is that it is a MYSTERY, so asking someone for scientific proof of a mystery that by definition has to be taken on faith alone doesn't make much sense. If there was scientific proof, it wouldn't be a faith-based mystery, now would it.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't believe in transubstantiation, but I don't think your question is valid. The very essence of the belief is that it is a MYSTERY, so asking someone for scientific proof of a mystery that by definition has to be taken on faith alone doesn't make much sense. If there was scientific proof, it wouldn't be a faith-based mystery, now would it.
Thanks for your thoughts.

When Jesus changed the water into wine, they could have used scientific proof it was now wine. The people who tasted it knew it was wine and better than the cheap stuff too.
It didn't take any faith to believe the water was changed into wine back then.

So why is it all of a sudden when a person says a priest changes the bread into the body of Christ and the wine into the blood of Christ it cannot be verified? that it must be taken by faith?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts.

When Jesus changed the water into wine, they could have used scientific proof it was now wine. The people who tasted it knew it was wine and better than the cheap stuff too.
It didn't take any faith to believe the water was changed into wine back then.

So why is it all of a sudden when a person says a priest changes the bread into the body of Christ and the wine into the blood of Christ it cannot be verified? that it must be taken by faith?
I think most people know what blood tastes like (ever cut your lip?). If the wine was literally turned into blood, wouldn't it taste like blood?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
As an atheist, the symbolic consumption of flesh and blood is what I would expect to find in some pagan rituals such as voodoo.

I guess the secret to understanding this is how wide a swath does the term pagan cut?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times
But there is no reason the body can move against the wind like nuclear particles can't. The body is a self-mover, and the nuclear particles are just measured with indeterminism.

In one case it is the Aristotelian trans'mutation' of elementhood for further empirical recording; in the other case it is the outcome of records meaning that there would seem to appear to the a priori already substance in trans-substantiation. The mystery is not that it can occur, but that it believably did from 2,000 years ago.

Last edited by tgnostic; 03-16-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Either it's blood or it's not. If it's blood, it should be easy to verify.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:33 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Could someone tell me what Jesus' blood type is? What if I need a blood transfusion some day? Can I use what the priest supposedly changes into blood for my blood transfusion?

And, when the priest hands you the bread or host, could you please pretend you are putting it in your mouth but actually take a host to a scientist and see what the DNA is? This way we can clone the DNA and have another Jesus.
I don't personally believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation, but if I did, I would be pretty offended at the sarcasm and sacreligious tone of this post. You're talking about a doctrine that many people hold very sacred. Can't you do so with a little more respect?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
This topic can either be discussed respectfully to those who are inclined to believe in the tenets of this doctrine, or the thread will be closed with infractions issued.

Thanks,
~June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity