Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or does it seem that most Christians are either apathetic or even suspicious of environmentalism and conservation? I think some American politician said that what's the point in trying to preserve the earth if God is just going to destroy it anyway, and I suspect deep down many Christians also share this view. There are certainly those who are both fervently concerned for saving trees as well as souls, but it seems the environmental movement is supported by religions and world-views which place nature and animals at the same level as mankind, and see humanity as more a part of the earth instead of the earth as merely being a place for them to live. I think if God made the Earth beautiful, he surely saw more value in it that merely a 'testing ground' for people's souls to see where they'd go in the next life. Presumably if Adam and Eve hadn't had rebelled (which, if you think about it, is an impossibility unless God is not all powerful) there would be no 'pie in the sky' type heaven, as heaven would be the Garden of Eden. Interestingly it seems just as likely the Biblical writers and early Christians looked forward to a renewed Earth being made in Heaven instead of some incorporeal other dimension.

Anyway I'm digressing a bit from my original premise, but have you personally observed this much, or is more of a generalisation/stereotype? Also how concerned are you about environmental issues, and do you know a greater number of say climate change skeptics in Church circles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem that most Christians are either apathetic or even suspicious of environmentalism and conservation? I think some American politician said that what's the point in trying to preserve the earth if God is just going to destroy it anyway, and I suspect deep down many Christians also share this view. There are certainly those who are both fervently concerned for saving trees as well as souls, but it seems the environmental movement is supported by religions and world-views which place nature and animals at the same level as mankind, and see humanity as more a part of the earth instead of the earth as merely being a place for them to live. I think if God made the Earth beautiful, he surely saw more value in it that merely a 'testing ground' for people's souls to see where they'd go in the next life. Presumably if Adam and Eve hadn't had rebelled (which, if you think about it, is an impossibility unless God is not all powerful) there would be no 'pie in the sky' type heaven, as heaven would be the Garden of Eden. Interestingly it seems just as likely the Biblical writers and early Christians looked forward to a renewed Earth being made in Heaven instead of some incorporeal other dimension.

Anyway I'm digressing a bit from my original premise, but have you personally observed this much, or is more of a generalisation/stereotype? Also how concerned are you about environmental issues, and do you know a greater number of say climate change skeptics in Church circles?
I think your observation is accurate. Of course not everyone can be painted with a broad brush, but most of the people I know who don't give a hoot about the pollution of the earth and preserving the environment lean very far to the right and most would call themselves Christian.

Interestingly, in the book of Revelation, we read that "The leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations". Of course that may not be literal. But I couldn't say for sure.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think your observation is accurate. Of course not everyone can be painted with a broad brush, but most of the people I know who don't give a hoot about the pollution of the earth and preserving the environment lean very far to the right and most would call themselves Christian.

Interestingly, in the book of Revelation, we read that "The leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations". Of course that may not be literal. But I couldn't say for sure.
Leaves provide trees with all their food because they turn sunlight into food energy. Chlorophyll makes this energy transformation possible. Leaves also make the oxygen in the air that we breathe. Amen it's wonderful that we can see God in everything.

leaves

Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:

Yes, although I've seen movement towards a much more balanced view.

To be fair, I'm not a Christian, but I'm still suspect of how the environmentalist agenda may be being used and abused by politicians and others to promote less noble agendas. As well, I think that the environmentalist cause (like most causes) has the potential to be taken to extremes.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Jesus does not mind if His Children have a passion for environmentalism , for the earth , It is just that may people who are on that road are in a blame game or condemning every body for destroying the earth..... or build idols and walls of indifference that block the move of God to answer prayer for a change for the better ...... See extremist can get lead by demons and the Lord will not go there unless people let Him do that......... See in Revelation 11: 16-19..... ...``and the nations were angry and the Lord wrath is come , and the time of the dead , that they should be judged, and that The Lord should give reward to the servants the prophets , and to the saints and them that fear your name small and great , and SHOULD DESTROY THEM WHICH DESTROY THE EARTH....``..... See the Lord created the earth and will judge them that goes against that creation in these days .....

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

Prayers are said every Sunday for the right use of creation and the blessing of the earth, so no, I don't agree that blithely tossing it all away in hopes of a new earth is a common Christian outlook. As a matter of fact, this is probably one of the more bizarre "let-me-see-what-else-I-can-say-to-bash-Christianity" tactics I've come across so far!

But, whatever blows your skirt up. Carry on.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Prayers are said every Sunday for the right use of creation and the blessing of the earth, so no, I don't agree that blithely tossing it all away in hopes of a new earth is a common Christian outlook. As a matter of fact, this is probably one of the more bizarre "let-me-see-what-else-I-can-say-to-bash-Christianity" tactics I've come across so far!

But, whatever blows your skirt up. Carry on.
I don't know exactly what you're getting at, but as a Christian I wished more Christians were more concerned about the environment, as from what I have heard from others it does seem many of them are pretty apathetic about the environment.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
I agree with you. I try to be "green" and when talking to my Christian friends, most couldn't care less.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Yup, I've seen quite a few christians who don't care about the environment. My ex-boss was one of them. I tried so hard to get him to not use so much paper at work and to recycle but it never sank in.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:

I definitely share this view. What exactly is the point of worshipping Earth and being "green" when people will smoke and pollute the air anyway? Half the people who claim to be enviromentalist don't have Jesus Christ in their lives so their efforts mean absolutely nothing to me. I honestly don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity