Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 13,577 times

Advertisements

This question was what caused me to abandon Christianity, because the only answer I had was "because that's all I've been taught."

I'm interested to see what some of you people who truly believe have as an answer. I assume that at some point you asked yourself this, but I guess it's possible to be hardcore Christian your entire life without ever having a second-thought.

Anyway I just want to know if anybody has a logical explanation for why you are a Christian. Basically the question boils down to "What about Christianity makes you think it is the true faith, as opposed to any of the other religions?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
Sometimes, there are things in life that you just KNOW IN YOUR HEART are right, that's WHY I am a Christian and not any other religion.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuco View Post
This question was what caused me to abandon Christianity, because the only answer I had was "because that's all I've been taught."
I hit the "because that's all I've been taught" wall back when I was 20 (I'll be 32 next week). I can say with authority that I have looked outside of Christianity and ended up back in it...albiet somewhat differently.

Quote:
I'm interested to see what some of you people who truly believe have as an answer. I assume that at some point you asked yourself this, but I guess it's possible to be hardcore Christian your entire life without ever having a second-thought.
The thought of never having a 2nd thought about faith is seen as having faith by some people. I see it as never thinking for yourself. God gave us brains and reason and logic and expects us to use them! In fact the Bible says to prove that which is true.

Quote:
Anyway I just want to know if anybody has a logical explanation for why you are a Christian. Basically the question boils down to "What about Christianity makes you think it is the true faith, as opposed to any of the other religions?"
Every born again Christian will have simular answer. Even though reason and logic are a part of everyone (to greater or lesser extents ), it isn't because of our minds that we are Christians. It is because of a heart-changing experience with Jesus. When you humble yourself and acknowledge your human faults and truly repent and ask that He come into your life, it's something that can't really be described well in words. But it is very real, and at least for myself, it is not the fear of hell that keeps me, but the love and amazement I have for my Creator.

So my logical reason for believing stems from what would seem illogical to those who haven't truly experienced it. But I can't deny my own experiences within Christianity that make it plain that this thing is real!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:25 AM

328 posts, read 1,033,855 times
Default Up and Down and All Around.................

Quote:

I was born into a Christian family. I was Baptised. I went to church until I was about 18 years old because My Parents said I should go( Friendly Persuasion?) I was drafted into the U.S. Army. While in Southeast Asia I took an interest in the Buddhist Philosophy....When I came home at least physically well I turned to drugs....While in the throes of my addiction I discovered several "Spiritual Paths" ie; Astara, Eckankar, The Rosicrucians ect. While I am certain these paths have merit I am less than knowledgeable because I was under the influence of mind altering substances(Alcohol included). Oh how I wanted to find "The Truth"............Then while in Texas I thought I had a "Born Again" experience....Again I was still under the influence of Alcohol and Drugs.....Things were a bit tamer but still I was certainly not living "The Christian Life".......After a fashion I discovered that I wasn't "Born Again." Oh how I wanted to be but dang I knew that I wasn't. It was more like "Dead Again".......Then several years later quietly and oh so subtley I entered recovery from my Addiction to Alcohol and Drugs.. I had had enough....Surrender to Win I was told...Lose until Victory enters your life I was told....In the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous I heard repeatedly about God's Will and God as I understood Him. I was told about improving my conscious contact with God through Prayer and Meditation....And meditation did not have to mean lighting insense, donning saffron robes and playing sitar music to get into the mood. Years later when I had amassed quite a few years of sobriety I was having some difficulty in my life....I was experiencing what is called "Life on Life's terms"....Sometimes life SUCKS !!! I then asked Jesus to come into my life and to help me not to be understood but to understand ( St Francis's Prayer)....In AA it is said that many not all but many who enter into the fellowship will return to the Faith of their Fathers. Just as softly, quietly and without fanfare as I had entered into recovery so was it how Jesus welcomed me back into his loving arms. He never left me...I was the one who strayed....I am a Christian because it is the true faith for me...I cannot and will not speak for or against any other faith. I know from where I have come.( I have give the condensed version here ) I believe in God and His Son Jesus Christ. This is victory.
Spiritwalker

Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I support the Christian Way of life, not out of any deep belief or conviction on my part, but simply because I think our society needs a brake on it's behavior. The Churches provide an ethical standard by which people can live in peace and harmony in this world.

What would your city be without the Churches? Would it be better? Would a lot of the help for the homeless, the afterschool programs, and other programs dry up? Would all the good things done by Churches to help the less fortunate among us be better done by the Federal Government?

So, that's why I am a Christian. My time and money go to do something for my fellow man and woman. I could have "faith" in heaven or hell or believe in the Flood and all the other stuff, but it wouldn't mean a thing to anyone else.

And Yes, I know that faith without works is dead. But that's my problem, for now, I am a Christian and I help my Church do good things.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:44 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Why am I a Christian...I could sum that up into one word..Jesus. For nearly 18 years i was "forced" somewhat to go to church, the old "everytime" the doors were open type family for the most part. I spent alot of time "away" from church, and thats where I really found God, in that time I wasnt part of a youth group, or anything else. Even though I wasnt going to church, or in the "in" crowd of church, whenever i called on Jesus, he was there...closer than a brother, to comfort, support, heal, mend...

Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I am a Christian because I have a personal relationship with the Lord, it is my own, not my parents, not my pastors, not my friends, but mine. I believe the Bible is God's Word, 2 Timothy 3:16 says ALL scripture is inspired by God. My faith in God is very strong, I love Him, He loves me, He is my friend, my comforter. I believe Jesus died for my sins and someday I will live with Him forever.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Jesus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Why am I a Christian...I could sum that up into one word..Jesus. For nearly 18 years i was "forced" somewhat to go to church, the old "everytime" the doors were open type family for the most part. I spent alot of time "away" from church, and thats where I really found God, in that time I wasnt part of a youth group, or anything else. Even though I wasnt going to church, or in the "in" crowd of church, whenever i called on Jesus, he was there...closer than a brother, to comfort, support, heal, mend...
Wow, that's good, arguy. I really liked what you said about Jesus. Jesus is the main answer I think I would give also. Obviously, I was born in a nation where the predominant faith is Christianity, but I think it's more than that. When I read the gospels, the authenticity of Jesus just jumps out at me. I think it would be hard to read the gospels with an open mind and not be struck with the power and authority of the personality of Jesus. He is such an "unexpected" character. It would be very difficult to invent someone like Jesus. He says the unexpected and does the unexpected. He just resonates with truth.

I have other "evidence" in the form of objective and subjective things. I think there are many prophecies in the Old Testament written hundreds of years before Jesus was born which testify of His life. I think there is evidence to believe that He was resurrected from the dead verifying that He was indeed who He claimed to be. Subjectively, as a Christian, I have experienced things in the form of little miracles which testify to the truth of the gospel.

I think, in a nutshell, the thing other religions don't offer is: Jesus. Not even close.

Last edited by kaykay; 08-03-2007 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: too early for kaykay to be spelling correctly!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Borrowing from a recent message from our pastor, I am a Christian because I need a Savior. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

As ILNC so often says, it's a relationship -- not a religion.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think, in a nutshell, the thing other religions don't offer is: Jesus. Not even close.
AMEN!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity