Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you believe about the Bible?
It is COMPLETELY God's Word .. totally infallible, inerrant, 100% authoritative and true 26 40.63%
It is MOSTLY God's Word .. but there are a few or certain specific parts that are wrong 6 9.38%
It is SOMEWHAT God's Word .. you can only rely on certain, specific parts and the rest is wrong 6 9.38%
It is NOT AT ALL God's Word .. it's just a book with stories and that's all 26 40.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Jesus said those who reject His Word reject Him (John 12:48). Those who deny Christ's Word deny Christ. And those who deny Him will be denied before the Father in heaven! (Matthew 10:33.)
You cannot reject Christ's Word since HE IS THE WORD! . . . NOT the scriptures that TELL us about Him. So despite your fearful threats . . . we do not deny Christ . . . we follow Him in "love of God and each other." Your massive cut and paste was "precepts and doctrines of men" misrepresenting the scriptures and interpreting them falsely in many places. Beware following such false teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM

33 posts, read 49,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You cannot reject Christ's Word since HE IS THE WORD! . . . NOT the scriptures that TELL us about Him.

How do you know this to be true?

Where did this teaching come from?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Double AMEN!!!!!
Triple Amen

Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Moderator cut: warning

I just deleted about half the posts in this thread as being off topic..I have no intention of closing this thread and will instead issue infractions for the next sidebar of off topic insults and arguements.. Please reread the op

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Always good to see you mams! Sadly nothing has changed. I believe what I have always said about the Bible, it is God's love letter to us, our instruction Book for living. Every word came from God Himself. Even though it was written many years ago it still holds all the answers we need today, every question we have about how to live is there even today.
AMEN.... and what a beautiful love letter.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Matthew 24:35 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

Psalm 119:105 "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."

Thank you Lord for your Word!
AMEN..... yes, thank you Lord Jesus for your precious word !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
Amen!
Quote:
Double AMEN!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Triple Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
This is my perspective on the Bible: It is the infallible, inerrant, completely trustworthy, 100% authoritative word of God. (no surprise there). I do not worship the bible or put it underservingly on an altar. It is what it is... a history of God's relationship with His creation. It is God's revelation to us and is the foundation to understanding His will for our lives. God is only to be worshiped. The bible is instructional to our lives so we can live the way God wants us to live.

But let me explain further. Men wrote only what God wanted them to write. This holds true for the OT as well as the NT. Some differentiate, but I do not. Jesus himself confirmed the OT scripture by preaching it and teaching it. He came to fulfill the law, not to abolish or destroy it. He would not teach misunderstandings or made up stories or base his ministry on "primitive" ideas. It is all God-breathed. If this were not so, it could neither be trustworthy nor authoritative in any respect.

If the scriptures were not directly from God, but merely human authors, God's commands would carry no weight. There would be no way to know what absolute truth is. There would be no absolute standard by which we determine moral values. Man's ideas are fallible and variable. They cannot be used to establish absolutes. Only God can because He is the creator and sustainer of all things. We are His creation therefore only He has the authority to tell us what is right and what is wrong.

I feel disheartened when I hear that others do not rely and completely trust what the bible says. Many bring outside influence to bear upon what the bible says instead of simply reading and understanding what the bible is telling us, without preconcieved notions, philosophies and theories getting in the way.

Much more to come at a later time. Until then...

Blessings
AMEN.... mams1559 !!

"much more to come at a later time"........ please don't make us wait to long,

Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Default Why We Can Rely on the Bible

I'd like to get a better understanding from folks as to why they only believe certain parts of the bible. So, why? I don't get that. There are those that will trust what it says about Jesus in the NT and they will trust what is ascribed to Jesus, His actual words (the ones in red ) but then they waffle on other parts. How come?

From my point of view, Jesus is God; right? So, does it not logically follow that where God is speaking in the OT, those are actually Jesus' words? Could they not also be put in red? I mean, no one has seen the Father, that's what the Bible teaches. But it also says Adam walked with God in Eden. So, wouldn't God in Eden really be Jesus? Jesus states if you have seen Him you have seen the Father. Seems plausible to me.

So what is it about the history in the OT that some don't trust to be divine, just as other scripture they do trust? Is it something within the bible that causes them pause? Is it something from outside the bible that causes them to doubt the veracity of specific items? And how do you discern the difference?

Just as the Bereans examined everything Paul told them against the scriptures (OT) to discern whether he was preaching truth, is that not what we should do to doctrines and theories expoused by others, believers or not? Should not the bible be the final authority as to whether something is true or not?

I humbly await sincere replies.

Blessings...

Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Which version of the bible? There are several important books that are missing from the protestant bible.
Authoritative works were those written by apostles or their close associates. A host of false teachings and books came out after the canonical books. Some were written by well-intentioned Christians, some by Gnostics and others by pagans of the day. Some of these books challenged New Testament teachings while others tried to fill in information.

Often, people tried to associate a particular writing with one of the apostles to give it a little more credibility. However, the church usually recognized easily what the apostles had written. There are books that have a number of mistakes and statements which contradict the Bible that an apostle writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit would not make. This is why they were not included in the Protestant Bible containing 66 books. But this didn’t stop the controversies, nor did it prevent some Christians from being led astray. Even today, people are often led astray by things they read concerning the Bible.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
I'd like to get a better understanding from folks as to why they only believe certain parts of the bible. So, why? I don't get that. There are those that will trust what it says about Jesus in the NT and they will trust what is ascribed to Jesus, His actual words (the ones in red ) but then they waffle on other parts. How come?

From my point of view, Jesus is God; right? So, does it not logically follow that where God is speaking in the OT, those are actually Jesus' words? Could they not also be put in red? I mean, no one has seen the Father, that's what the Bible teaches. But it also says Adam walked with God in Eden. So, wouldn't God in Eden really be Jesus? Jesus states if you have seen Him you have seen the Father. Seems plausible to me.

So what is it about the history in the OT that some don't trust to be divine, just as other scripture they do trust? Is it something within the bible that causes them pause? Is it something from outside the bible that causes them to doubt the veracity of specific items? And how do you discern the difference?

Just as the Bereans examined everything Paul told them against the scriptures (OT) to discern whether he was preaching truth, is that not what we should do to doctrines and theories expoused by others, believers or not? Should not the bible be the final authority as to whether something is true or not?

I humbly await sincere replies.

Blessings...
You are quite correct. Jesus Christ is the revealed Person of the Godhead. All of the Old Testament appearances of God were Jesus Christ. The angel of the Lord was Jesus Christ. It was Jesus who appeared to Moses in the burning bush. It was Jesus who was the cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night which led Israel through the desert. It was Jesus who appeared to Abraham, etc...

Many people believe only what they want to believe. These people who believe that all men will be saved for instance, have a distorted sense of God's character. They over emphasize the love of God to the exclusion of God's holiness. For whatever reason, they cannot or will not face up to reality and so accept from the Bible what they think supports their preferred belief. And they dismiss everything which proves that all men will not be saved. Even when it comes to what Jesus said while on earth, these people will not believe what He said concerning the eternal punishment which awaits the unbeliever. Many people simply prefer to mode God into the image they prefer, instead of believing what He has revealed about Himself in the Bible.

Some people reject the Old Testament because they say that a loving God couldn't possibly order the deaths of women and children. They do not understand why, and don't care to understand why God ordered those deaths. They forget, or don't even know that when Christ returns He is going to utterly destroy all the armies who oppose Him at Jerusalem and try to fight Him. This is revealed in the New Testament in Rev 19.

There are those who will believe only what Jesus says and ignore what the apostles wrote not realizing that what they wrote came directly from God.

Human nature being what it is, many people simply reject the truth in favor of whatever particular lie they find appealing. This is after all the devils world, and Satan is the father of lies. Therefore there are even believers who will not accept the entire truth as revealed in the word of God because it upsets them. And of course many people who would call themselves Christian really are not.

The Bible is indeed the final and ultimate authority. It is the absolute norm and standard of truth.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
But let me explain further. Men wrote only what God wanted them to write.
So God wanted men to write that it's appropriate to bash babies heads on rocks and slaughter women, children, and infants?

Quote:
This holds true for the OT as well as the NT. Some differentiate, but I do not. Jesus himself confirmed the OT scripture by preaching it and teaching it. He came to fulfill the law, not to abolish or destroy it. He would not teach misunderstandings or made up stories or base his ministry on "primitive" ideas. It is all God-breathed. If this were not so, it could neither be trustworthy nor authoritative in any respect.
Sure Jesus would teach based on stories. Most of his ministry was done in parables.

Quote:
If the scriptures were not directly from God, but merely human authors, God's commands would carry no weight. There would be no way to know what absolute truth is. There would be no absolute standard by which we determine moral values. Man's ideas are fallible and variable. They cannot be used to establish absolutes. Only God can because He is the creator and sustainer of all things. We are His creation therefore only He has the authority to tell us what is right and what is wrong.

I feel disheartened when I hear that others do not rely and completely trust what the bible says. Many bring outside influence to bear upon what the bible says instead of simply reading and understanding what the bible is telling us, without preconcieved notions, philosophies and theories getting in the way.

Much more to come at a later time. Until then...

Blessings
Why do you ignore that fact that all the early church fathers personally witnessed the early manuscripts being altered? Why do you ignore the evidence from Oxford scholars proving the Bible has been corrected 10s of thousands of times. Why do you ignore the entire process that went into the Canonization of the modern day Bible, and that much of it was completely arbitrarily decided by councils of men? Not all sects of Christianity agree on the Biblical canon. Why is your Bible more accurate than anyone elses? And what about translations. The NIV completely omits several verses that can be found in the KJV, and vice versa. You call that inerrant? Why do some verses not exist in the originals (for example, when Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"). That doesn't exist in the earliest manuscripts, meaning it was added later. To believe the modern day Bible is 100% perfect and dropped from heaven by God takes an absurd amount of cognitive dissonance.

Let's look at this logically.

A. God did not personally handwrite the Bible or dictate it word for word. Humans physically wrote the Bible.

B. Humans are not perfect. An imperfect being cannot create something perfect.

C. The only way for God to make sure the human hands that wrote, translated, corrected, and canonized the Bible didn't screw up, is to personally force them to not make mistakes or add their own text/remove text.

D. God gave us free will, meaning God allowed humans to alter the Bible through that free will. He will not force men to not make mistakes or to not alter the scripture.

Ergo,

God inspired man to write their personal experiences about his revelation, but he also didn't stop them from corrupting it to some degree.

If God wanted a 100% perfect Bible, he would have NEVER let human hands or minds get anywhere near it.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM

889 posts, read 825,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You are quite correct. Jesus Christ is the revealed Person of the Godhead. All of the Old Testament appearances of God were Jesus Christ. The angel of the Lord was Jesus Christ. It was Jesus who appeared to Moses in the burning bush. It was Jesus who was the cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night which led Israel through the desert. It was Jesus who appeared to Abraham, etc...

Many people believe only what they want to believe. These people who believe that all men will be saved for instance, have a distorted sense of God's character. They over emphasize the love of God to the exclusion of God's holiness. For whatever reason, they cannot or will not face up to reality and so accept from the Bible what they think supports their preferred belief. And they dismiss everything which proves that all men will not be saved. Even when it comes to what Jesus said while on earth, these people will not believe what He said concerning the eternal punishment which awaits the unbeliever. Many people simply prefer to mode God into the image they prefer, instead of believing what He has revealed about Himself in the Bible.

Some people reject the Old Testament because they say that a loving God couldn't possibly order the deaths of women and children. They do not understand why, and don't care to understand why God ordered those deaths. They forget, or don't even know that when Christ returns He is going to utterly destroy all the armies who oppose Him at Jerusalem and try to fight Him. This is revealed in the New Testament in Rev 19.

There are those who will believe only what Jesus says and ignore what the apostles wrote not realizing that what they wrote came directly from God.

Human nature being what it is, many people simply reject the truth in favor of whatever particular lie they find appealing. This is after all the devils world, and Satan is the father of lies. Therefore there are even believers who will not accept the entire truth as revealed in the word of God because it upsets them. And of course many people who would call themselves Christian really are not.

The Bible is indeed the final and ultimate authority. It is the absolute norm and standard of truth.
The Bible is authoritative and certainly useful to live the way God wants us to live. However, it is NOT the sole source of truth since the Bible can not interpret itself and so does not have ultimate authority within itself. That resides in the Magesterium of the Catholic Church.

Having said that, it is the Word of God and 100% inerrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity