Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Kat......1600 pages that testify of Jesus Christ who is the revelation of God's great heart of love and untold grace.
Doesn't sound like "fluff" to me. Hey, I have no quarrel with anyone here who says that Jesus Christ's central message is that we love one another. My only argument is that religion somehow stands in the way of our understanding this concept. I can't speak for anybody's religion but my own. All I know is that it is through my religion that I have found insights into God's love for all of His children and into His Plan of Salvation that I would never have found without it. It has given me a knowledge of my relationship to Him that I would have never picked up on through a simple reading of the Bible. It has enriched my life immeasurably, no matter what anybody else may think of it. It has also strengthened my conviction that I don't have to waste my time trying to convince anybody that what resonates as truth for me has to resonate as truth for them. God loves us all. In the words of an LDS Apostle, Joseph B. Wirthlin, "God’s love is complete and without limit for you and for all mankind. He is perfectly just and merciful." That statement brings a tremendous amount of joy and comfort to me, and it was through my religion that I came to understand and believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Doesn't sound like "fluff" to me. Hey, I have no quarrel with anyone here who says that Jesus Christ's central message is that we love one another. My only argument is that religion somehow stands in the way of our understanding this concept. I can't speak for anybody's religion but my own. All I know is that it is through my religion that I have found insights into God's love for all of His children and into His Plan of Salvation that I would never have found without it. It has given me a knowledge of my relationship to Him that I would have never picked up on through a simple reading of the Bible. It has enriched my life immeasurably, no matter what anybody else may think of it. It has also strengthened my conviction that I don't have to waste my time trying to convince anybody that what resonates as truth for me has to resonate as truth for them. God loves us all. In the words of an LDS Apostle, Joseph B. Wirthlin, "God’s love is complete and without limit for you and for all mankind. He is perfectly just and merciful." That statement brings a tremendous amount of joy and comfort to me, and it was through my religion that I came to understand and believe it.
We all resonate with different messages from God, katz. I am glad you are happy with yours . . . (as oppressive and burdensome as it is with all its requirements, rituals, and expectations). "Fluff" means things that have NO IMPACT on our fate or the achievement of our purpose whatsoever . . . and sparrow is right on. Anything beyond "love God and each other" is "fluff." God IS love and our Spirits are supposed to resonate with Him, period.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
Could you explain? I know that a lot of atrocities have been committed by "religious" people, but it really seems to me that those of you who are so anti-religion are kind of throwing out the baby with the bath water. It seems to me that your closed-minded abhorance of all religions is really no more admirable than the dogmas of the religions you to vehemently hate. I'd be interested in your comments.

(Atheists, spare us this once, please. We already know how you feel. I'd like some fresh insights from non-religious people who do believe in God.)
I don't hate true religion, I hate all the pageantry and ritual attatched to true religion, which christ simply and clearly defined as charity ... Along with all the erroneous traditional entrapments of the false religion of condemnation and brutality.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We all resonate with different messages from God, katz.
Yes we do. Spiritual communication from God through the Holy Ghost is intensely personal and should never be discounted by someone else.

Quote:
I am glad you are happy with yours . . . (as oppressive and burdensome as it is with all its requirements, rituals, and expectations).
Well, as you just got through pointing out, a yolk you might find burdensome is a light one to me. But thanks for your concern. I'll let you know when the oppression starts wearing me down.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-05-2011 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Yes we do. Spiritual communication from God through the Holy Ghost is intensely personal and should never be discounted by someone else.

Well, as you just got through pointing out, a yolk you might find burdensome is a light one to me. But thanks for your concern. I'll let you know when the oppression starts wearing me down.
Beautifully said. And you sound like a Quaker!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Beautifully said. And you sound like a Quaker!
I can think of a hell of a lot worse things to sound like.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Well, as you just got through pointing out, a yolk you might find burdensome is a light one to me.
Oh, duh! I must have been tired when I posted that! I meant to type yoke and not yolk!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:39 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I don't hate true religion, I hate all the pageantry and ritual attatched to true religion, which christ simply and clearly defined as charity ... Along with all the erroneous traditional entrapments of the false religion of condemnation and brutality.
I wanted to clarify my last post ...

I don't hate true religion(which christ simply and clearly defined as charity), I hate all the pageantry and ritual attached to true religion along with all the erroneous traditional entrapments of the false religion of condemnation and brutality ...

Thats better ...

Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
That's kind of a general statement. Could you be more specific? I mean I don't feel like I'm in bondage and I don't feel like I am carrying any heavier burden that the next person. I'd say that's probably the opposite of how I feel. And I don't think I'm unique among religious people.
Hi Kat.. see post 88 by Ironmaw, i think that just about sums it up for me,oh yea and i hated Wednesday night bible study too.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Oh, duh! I must have been tired when I posted that! I meant to type yoke and not yolk!
Oh darn, I was trying to think of a good wisecrack to post with that quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity