Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,574,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Correct... those that "God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell," and "God did not spare the natural branches , he will not spare you either." ..........will never converge with those whom God is pleased to save.
Jesus calls that "a great chasim" ..which no one is able to cross over.
So again... You believe god will send people to Tartarus (the abode of the damned) below hades (the abode of the dead) both of which are Greek mythology concepts, not Christian concepts.
Or are Christian concepts stolen from the Greek myths?

It is unfortunate that the translators used hell for both Greek words but still... I'm surprised you trust this clear reference to myths that not even the Greeks believe anymore. 1st century hell was based on Greek mythology... So sad you want to perpetuate such things.

World English Bible 2 Peter 2:4
For if God didn't spare angels when they sinned, but cast them down to Tartarus, and committed them to pits of darkness, to be reserved for judgment..

That is the correct translation as Tartarus is a proper noun not to be translated as another word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,121,060 times
Quote:
I realize that for some (mostly the UR crowd), the understanding of God's nature is like a mono-rail train and not like a two rail (track) train as the Bible teaches. Through out the Bible it is taught that these two natures of God parallel each other... God's wrath and God's love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Two things that are parallel never converge. Also, the dictionary says parallel means "having the same direction, course, nature, or tendency; corresponding; similar; analogous." Hmmm..... How can the same nature be both to save and to torture forever? How could these be the same direction or even remotely similar? It seems your "two-rail" god is really two gods - one of love and one of wrath, and not the one, true, and living God who is the creator of the the universe, the Savior of the World, and the who IS love.

Quote:
Correct... those that "God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell," and "God did not spare the natural branches , he will not spare you either." ..........will never converge with those whom God is pleased to save.
Jesus calls that "a great chasim" ..which no one is able to cross over.
You said God's "nature" is like a two-rail track. Now you're changing the analogy to the fate of people. Tell me, do you think God's two natures of love and wrath (IMO, evil is how I think you see it) converge? If not, then you aren't talking about a one, true God (the mono-rail), but you seem to believe in two gods (two-rail track).

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,549,053 times
Quote:
You said God's "nature" is like a two-rail track. Now you're changing the analogy to the fate of people. Tell me, do you think God's two natures of love and wrath (IMO, evil is how I think you see it) converge? If not, then you aren't talking about a one, true God (the mono-rail), but you seem to believe in two gods (two-rail track).
Not changing the analogy .... can't help that you refuse that God damns and saves, and both are justifiable.

If anything, you're the one who demands the changing the fate of people.
Psalm 1:5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
Like the twin towers ... the wicked won't stand, someone here said they can.

And by whose "will" the wicked not stand nor stand in the assembly of us the righteous.......... mine? .... us nasty blame it on the conservatives?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,574,908 times
Quote:
Not changing the analogy .... can't help that you refuse that God damns and saves, and both are justifiable.

If anything, you're the one who demands the changing the fate of people.
Psalm 1:5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
Like the twin towers ... the wicked won't stand, someone here said they can.

And by whose "will" the wicked not stand nor stand in the assembly of us the righteous.......... mine? .... us nasty blame it on the conservatives?
Um... The twin towers site is being rebuilt... As the valley of hinnom (Gehenna. Hell) was and is now a beautiful place.

So things destroyed are rebuilt into better things... Transformed by tragedy... What's your point?

Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 AM

5,926 posts, read 6,973,109 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing...sorry to disappoint you. This wasn't put forth to convince you. (nor is it my problem)
Not disappointed at all. Contrary to what you might believe I enjoy all the discussion that goes on.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
God's nature is not like a mono-rail ...and because of that we benefit.

Twins thread title is actually true, but Twin doesn't actually believe what he wrote.

God deals with each person differently. in Proverbs we can find a passage that deals with this. All mans ways are before the Lord and he has prepared the way. There isn't anything man has done, is doing or will do that God has not prepared for.

Because of that indeed we benefit, but Twin doesn't really believe that.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:18 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,049,936 times
Quote:
Do you believe in eternal torment? If so, are you saying people choose to be tossed in fire forever? Let's say you rejected the beliefs of Heaven's Gate, the group that committed suicide to be saved from this planet and catch a ride on an alien spacecraft. Would it be true that you "didn't want that salvation?" Yes, because you thought it was nonsense. In the same way, when someone doesn't believe in Christ, it's not that they don't want salvation. They just don't believe they need it.

I think the theory that people don't want salvation is a convenient way for Christians to make themselves feel better for not worrying too much about the fate of their non-believing fellow human beings.
Yes, well put. It's a sort of grasping for an acceptable reason for something that is unreasonable to believe. It is no wonder that mankind plays so many religious mind-games. How else can he/she cope with the sorrow and suffering of death until he/she gains an understanding of the purpose of being subjected to death. I suppose that atheists are also trying to cope with the same thing -- just in a different way.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Um... The twin towers site is being rebuilt... As the valley of hinnom (Gehenna. Hell) was and is now a beautiful place.

So things destroyed are rebuilt into better things... Transformed by tragedy... What's your point?
My point is quite simple....which you know very well.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Twins thread title is actually true, but Twin doesn't actually believe what he wrote.

God deals with each person differently. in Proverbs we can find a passage that deals with this. All mans ways are before the Lord and he has prepared the way. There isn't anything man has done, is doing or will do that God has not prepared for.

Because of that indeed we benefit, but Twin doesn't really believe that.
The "We" are those who believe \ have faith \ confess with our lips ect.
If not then Jesus should have known better about children of God vs children of the devil, and God only hearing the prayers of those who believe. John 9:31

Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
The "We" are those who believe \ have faith \ confess with our lips ect.
If not then Jesus should have known better about children of God vs children of the devil, and God only hearing the prayers of those who believe. John 9:31
All God does is for mans benefit. You can try to qualify "We" all you like, but your thread title still remains true, you just do not believe the very truth that you wrote. You spin your own thread title to mean something other than the truth.

All will believe and confess Jesus as Lord.

It is always trustworthy to call upon the name of the Lord.

Your thread title is true as you wrote it regaurdless of your intent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity