Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times

Advertisements

The gospel is good news. People on here are arguing about all sorts of nonsense. But this is all we need to know:

How are we saved? Not by our own actions, that's for sure. We are saved by grace through faith:

Eph 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

Now what is the gift? The grace or the faith? They are BOTH a gift. We are saved by God's grace through the faith He gives us. We don't have any grace, and we don't have any faith, unless God grants it to us (Romans 12:3).

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

Isn't that interesting. God's grace, the same grace that brings salvation, appears to all men!

It really is good news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The gospel is good news. People on here are arguing about all sorts of nonsense. But this is all we need to know:

How are we saved? Not by our own actions, that's for sure. We are saved by grace through faith:

Eph 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

Now what is the gift? The grace or the faith? They are BOTH a gift. We are saved by God's grace through the faith He gives us. We don't have any grace, and we don't have any faith, unless God grants it to us (Romans 12:3).

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

Isn't that interesting. God's grace, the same grace that brings salvation, appears to all men!

It really is good news!
Yea but what about How God hates sin you cherry picker . You have to include how bad we are or else the sinner will never know he's a sinnerYou have to make people feel bad about the good news not good.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yea but what about How God hates sin you cherry picker . You have to include how bad we are or else the sinner will never know he's a sinnerYou have to make people feel bad about the good news not good.
Quote:
Yea but what about How God hates sin you cherry picker .
Does not God our Father hate sin? Do you now mock Him?

There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil, A false witness {who} utters lies, And one who spreads strife among brothers.

Does this describe a person to you? It does lists the body parts, and the evil done with them.

Rev 21:27
and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Quote:
You have to include how bad we are or else the sinner will never know he's a sinner
I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died; and this commandment, which was to result in life, proved to result in death for me; for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.

So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. Therefore did that which is good become death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful.

moving along...

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

moving along...

However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Sounds like a glorious Gospel to me.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
God hates sin is NOT part of the message of the good news . Yes God hates sin.

The only people i have ever come across who have a hard time believing they are sinners are religious folk . I was wayward before i knew the Lord but when i was presented with the gospel there was no need to use the law to convince me i was a sinner.

Yes it was a huge swing at the false gospel of the magnification of sin over Gods desire to deliver us from it.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-28-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM

God does hate sin, that's why He is saving us from sin. That is the gospel: God is saving all men from sin. When all is said and done we won't sin anymore, and neither will anyone else.

Jesus will take away the sin of the world - He will succeed. Its good news!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:15 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Amen, legoman.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
God does hate sin, that's why He is saving us from sin. That is the gospel: God is saving all men from sin. When all is said and done we won't sin anymore, and neither will anyone else.

Man you make it sound so simple. I used to say something similar in my old UPC church...well I was shot down with all the hellfire missles that all the horrible bad people were going to get shot at them.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:02 PM

27 posts, read 31,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Man you make it sound so simple. I used to say something similar in my old UPC church...well I was shot down with all the hellfire missles that all the horrible bad people were going to get shot at them.
Some of the nastiest people I have ever known used to sit in the pews around me...

What ever happened to "They shall know you are my disciples by the LOVE that you show to one another."

Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:

what do you say to the person that says they don't need to be saved from sin?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
what do you say to the person that says they don't need to be saved from sin?
I would say there are consequences to sin. Sin always catches up to you.

What is the sin this person would like to keep doing, that he doesn't need to be saved from?

Lying? This leads to loss of respect and broken relationships.
Drinking/partying? This can lead to addiction/alcoholism and broken family.
Adultry? This will lead to broken relationship, physical disease, loss of love.

Read the parable of the prodigal son. The prodigal son wanted to go out into the world and party - look what happened to him. He squandered his wealth with wild living. He may have had "fun" for a short while, but then he ended up eating with the pigs. That was the consequence he suffered.

Sin is something that seems like "fun" at the time, but always leads to being in a worse situation.

When you are eating with the pigs you will understand why you need saving from sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity